Beer Miracle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawgchad

Reaction score
As a beginner, one thing I realize isn't discussed enough to comfort the beginners as they brew the first batches is the miracle that happens in the first week after bottling. So, I am here to tell you...

When you're bottling, you'll be thinking "What is this nasty watery crap!?!" and "How will this ever be good beer?!?"

(I know it was freaking me out!)

Then after a week or so of being in the bottle and after a day or two of chilling in the frig, you'll be like "HOLY SH&T! THIS IS AMAZING BEER!"

So take comfort. That watery crap is just a "stage". Great beer is on the way!

(Note: Aging and conditioning longer will make it even better.)

As a beginner, one thing I realize isn't discussed enough to comfort the beginners as they brew the first batches is the miracle that happens in the first week after bottling. So, I am here to tell you...

When you're bottling, you'll be thinking "What is this nasty watery crap!?!" and "How will this ever be good beer?!?"

(I know it was freaking me out!)

Then after a week or so of being in the bottle and after a day or two of chilling in the frig, you'll be like "HOLY SH&T! THIS IS AMAZING BEER!"

So take comfort. That watery crap is just a "stage". Great beer is on the way!

(Note: Aging and conditioning longer will make it even better.)

This. ^^^^ I have has some that carbonated in 2 weeks ALL of them tasted better at 3 weeks or longer.

This. ^^^^ I have has some that carbonated in 2 weeks ALL of them tasted better at 3 weeks or longer.

For sure!

I just wanted to stress the MAJOR difference between before and after carbonation. I think most everybody is used to it except us beginners. It's a HUGE difference.

Yeah, 1 week is a little rushed, give them at least 3 weeks at 70+° F to fully carb up, then 3-4 days in the fridge to settle out the yeast.

I've done a few batches, and just bottled my latest batch on Monday.

I looked at the bottles this week, and it just looks like...not beer. It has the clear look to it, and the floaties in it...I know that it'll settle, but I still can't help but wonder if it'll turn out right.

I know that it will, but I always worry!

Good luck all!

It's a valuable lesson we all must learn when starting out. It all relates to patience in brewing, as you've found out.

Patience is the most important ingredient in making beer.

YES! This is why notes from kits and LHBSs are often misleading..they tend to rush things to speed up a time frame. I've been working on not brewing based on a calendar, but based on the actual fermentation activity. Each batch is different. Sure, I can notice trends in time it takes to reach FG, clear up, condition, etc. But patience is so important to not rush the process. It's worth it.

It is amazing how much a little carbonation and chilling will drastically change the beer. The first couple batches are pretty stressful but after that it becomes a whole lot easier (and more fun!)

-Jeff

Best advice is to brew as often as you can so you aren't worrying about your beer that is fermenting or in bottles conditioning. If you are doing it right you should have a couple fermenters you completely forgot about that have been going for 2 months! I just realized I have 11 gallons needing to be bottled that I brewed before Christmas!

I know from personal experience why those kit instructions speed you along. Have you ever started talking to a non-brewer about the process and get to the point where you say it ferments for 2 or 3 (or more) weeks and see their eyes glaze over? "I don't have time to wait 3 weeks for beer!" They'll say before you mention that it takes another 3-4 weeks (or more) in the bottle before you drink it. A lot of people don't know what they're going to do 24 hours in advance, much less thinking 2 months ahead. But we're homebrewers, we're special :tank:

In view of thinking from average folks that don't really understand the process of getting there beer beyond hitting the store, you're right. I bet every time you try to explain it you smell circuits frying?...:D

I know from personal experience why those kit instructions speed you along. Have you ever started talking to a non-brewer about the process and get to the point where you say it ferments for 2 or 3 (or more) weeks and see their eyes glaze over? "I don't have time to wait 3 weeks for beer!" They'll say before you mention that it takes another 3-4 weeks (or more) in the bottle before you drink it. A lot of people don't know what they're going to do 24 hours in advance, much less thinking 2 months ahead. But we're homebrewers, we're special :tank:

Ha yes, this is the best way to make eyes bulge and jaws drop. All I can say is, "It's sooo worth it." :tank:

Patience is the most important ingredient in making beer.
True, but....minor compared to the long-suffering wait on a batch of mead or wine ;) Beer is a quick turn-around, in most instances, relatively speaking. I make an occasional beer now and again, takes longer to brew and cleanup than a batch of mead, but the turn-around is amazingly fast.....it's probably hard to believe from a new brewer's perspective, but, yeah....beer is the "fast-food" of home fermentation ;)

True, but....minor compared to the long-suffering wait on a batch of mead or wine ;) Beer is a quick turn-around, in most instances, relatively speaking. I make an occasional beer now and again, takes longer to brew and cleanup than a batch of mead, but the turn-around is amazingly fast.....it's probably hard to believe from a new brewer's perspective, but, yeah....beer is the "fast-food" of home fermentation ;)

I actually brewd my first batch of beer for something to do while waiting on mead to finish up!

This is great advice. I sure know the feeling, like many new brewers, of finally making through the brew process and fermentation, taken all the steps carefully, everything checks out, then you pop a green beer open and you have instant disappointment. Patience is a serious virtue in home brewing.

Latest posts

Back