Beer line cleaning question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Hi all. Just kicked my first keg. I don't have anything ready to re-tap it with just yet so I decided to clean everything up. So for the beer line I filled the keg with maybe a gallon or more of water and some PBW and shook it up a bit. Attached CO2 and ran that through the line until empty. The I rinsed that out and re-connected with just water and ran that through the beer line as well. Am I doing it ok for the most part?

I do about the same thing with oxyclean. I'll run some through and then stop with the cleaning solution in the line for a half hour or so. I then run the remainder out and rinse with hot water from another clean keg.

Hi all. Just kicked my first keg. I don't have anything ready to re-tap it with just yet so I decided to clean everything up. So for the beer line I filled the keg with maybe a gallon or more of water and some PBW and shook it up a bit. Attached CO2 and ran that through the line until empty. The I rinsed that out and re-connected with just water and ran that through the beer line as well. Am I doing it ok for the most part?

exactly what I do. I just let mine soak since im usually not in a rush. I was doing 5g, but another guy suggested doing half that and just flipping the keg upside down. So ill start doing 2.5g + pbw soak either 15min on each end or 30min depending how much time I want to spend. Run some into the beer line as well and let it sit for 30. Dump out triple rinse with water and call it a day.

Sounds like what I do also. One gallon of warm water in the keg and then an ounce of home made PBW and shake it. Put some CO2 to it, run about a half gallon through the beer line and tap and let that sit while I empty and rinse the keg and then send about a half gallon of rinse water through the line and tap.

A friend of mine modified one of those weed killer pump sprayers to do this task. That way he doesn't waste any CO2. I'll probably follow suit soon.

How often are you guys cleaning lines? I wait until the keg is gone (5gal), then clean with BLC. Rinse with water. Will run some star san through if the lines sit before another kg goes on. Thanks

I clean after each keg kicks but right now I just have a one keg setup not sure how those with multiple kegs do it.

How often are you guys cleaning lines? I wait until the keg is gone (5gal), then clean with BLC. Rinse with water. Will run some star san through if the lines sit before another kg goes on. Thanks

About every 3 or 4 legs. This translates to about 3 months. I do the oxy, water, star san between kegs in the interim.

Back