Beer Line Cleaning Business

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chemkrafty

Reaction score
I've been investigating a business opportunity in draft line cleaning and I'm looking to find someone who has done well in the business to talk to. Anyone out there have any experience in this line of work?

FWII, it is hit or miss. Lots of places have it set-up where the distributor cleans the lines according to some obscure schedule.

Also, check with your local Health Department regarding any regulations on chemicals and product labellings required by the authority having jurisdiction.

Dammit, I knew someone who's brother started a side business doing just that, and is doing quite well at it. He had an interesting way of doing it, and marketing it. But for the life of me I can't recall who it is. Whoever told me about it did so a couple years ago. If I can think of it, I'll try to contact them. But my recollection of WHO is foggy.

Gila - Thanks for the information! I think my biggest concern right now is knowing what things to check on before I make a jump so I have all the permits, licenses, insurance, LABELING, etc buttoned up.

Revvy - I'm horrible with names!! That will be a big challenge for me as I begin to start selling my services. I'll have to take great notes!

I am trying to understand the line cleaning regulations in Wisconsin a little better to see what is required and what is not. Anyone have any idea on where to look? I dug into WI Statutes Chapter 125 which has all the brewery and pub rules. Is there another section in the code of health somewhere that details a cleaning requirement?

I am trying to understand the line cleaning regulations in Wisconsin a little better to see what is required and what is not. Anyone have any idea on where to look? I dug into WI Statutes Chapter 125 which has all the brewery and pub rules. Is there another section in the code of health somewhere that details a cleaning requirement?

Best place to ask would be State Health on regulations concerning draft dispense of alcoholic beverages with specific to sanitation.

then follow up with local (city/county) health departments since they are likely the ones who actually inspect.

Depending on the city/county I expect you will find some to be very specific while other don;t have a freaking clue. And then your hurdle will be clientele, those who need the service most will be the one hardest to convince that it has anything to do with quality. And once you do overcome that obstacle, then you have to convince them it needs to be done routinely on a timeline that is smaller than decades.

Actually met a guy doing this who leaves fliers at our LHBS (Central NJ). He does side work building kegerators, long draw systems, etc He also services about 30-40 area businesses on contract doing line cleaning, service, upgrades and buildouts.

He offers 'free draft consultations' and will come into a business and correct foaming and line problems, clean, etc

He did tell me that the hardest part of the biz was convincing most owners why they need to clean their lines; most don't think it's needed (rolleyes).

After that, the next challenge is finding good beer centric places that aren't actually contracted with someone already or that don't do it themselves already.

He does it full time, but I'm afraid I don't know much more than I posted. I think it's a great idea, but be prepared to spend some time on the road until you've landed some accounts. Cities and places with more taps are going to be better than rural in terms of economy of scale, I would think

Good luck on doing your own thing, I have mucho respect for anyone that wants to start their own biz.

I was thinking of doing this around here. No go, all the distributors clean their own product lines.

Back