Beer in San Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timschram

Reaction score
Good morning fellow home brewers! I'm in San Diego (gaslamp quarter) for a week and I am looking for some suggestions regarding beers to try and places to go. I'm heading to Bottle Craft today and I'm going to try making to Stone (unlikely though because it's 2.5 hours via public trans). Any suggestions on kick ass/rare local brews? Best karl strauss offerings?

I'd suggest White Labs...I guarantee the next time I go to San Diego, I'm going to their Tasting Room. http://www.whitelabs.com/white-labs-tasting-room.

A lot of options including tasting beers brewed with the same recipes but fermented with different yeasts.

There's a brew strong episode where Jamil talks about it, but I don't remember which, otherwise I'd post that link too.

Stone Liberty Station, it's in Point Loma, which is near that area.

Hamilton's Tavern, in North Park. They have a very good selection of beer, they might even have a couple of casks going tonite.

Numerous other pubs, on 30th st.

those are some suggestions I can think of, right off the bat. There are many other places to go though...

Hopping pig is my favorite craft bar in gas lamp. Try their oaked specials. Trolly wreck is my favorite Karl. The heff is also very good.

I am going to have to nix Hopping pig. I've been there three times and their servers are just really really ignorant about beer, and their pours are stingy. There are so many great craft beer bars in SD County there's no need to go to a mediocre one. The Tipsy Crow is the spot in the Gaslamp, and if you can get about 5 minutes north on the freeway hit up the Blind Lady, Small Bar, Tiger!Tiger!, or Hamiltons. Most restaurants downtown pour SD Beer. If you have transportation, Stone Liberty Station is pretty sweet, and I would suggest getting up to the Miramar/Mira Mesa area where you have a ton of choice for breweries, and it's not as far as the Vista/North County contingent. There you'll find:

Green Flash
Hess
Wet 'n Reckless (you can skip this one)
Ballast Point
White Labs
Intergalactic
Alesmith
Rough Draft
Modern Times
St. Archer
and a Karl Strauss brewpub that has great food and a nice view.

A little further south you have Societe and Helms too, which are fun.

Have fun! It's a great place to be for Craft Beer no matter where you end up.

Live update.... just left tipsy crow. Very limited draft selection ~8 rather common beers on tap. Prices are 7.50 for a pint. Going to hopping pig. More drafts ~30 of harder to find stuff. Cheaper prices. Tipsy crow is more of a club atmosphere, hopping pig is more of a bar.

If you are downtown, you should go to Mission Brewery. It's just east of Petco Park.

Most of my favorite breweries are in North County so they may not be an option. (Iron Fist, Mother Earth, Lost Abbey are my top 3 but there are tons more).

A great downtown bar is The Neighborhood. Lots of great beer and good food.

Have fun.

Back