Beer in Houston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daksin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Off to another fascinating trade show...

Anyway, staying in what appears to be a bit of a black hole as far as craft beer goes. Conference is at the George Brown convention center in houston, and I'll be staying at 5190 Hidalgo St., some extended stay suites or another. Of course, my boss is too cheap to give us the $30/day for a rental car, so no transportation.

Am I SOL?

Karbach brewing company looks like it's only about 6 mi. from where you're staying....they make really good beer!

Saint Arnold Brewery is Texas' oldest craft brewery and they are about 10mi. from your hotel.

Hope that helps and enjoy your stay!

Good news is the Spec's Richmond location is right around the corner from you. They usually have a great beer and wine selection. Or you could try their main store, the downtown location on Smith St.

You're also near the Galleria mall, which is great if you're into shopping. I can't think of any great bars around there off the top of my head. Truluck's is good seafood, though. it's a mile or two down Westheimer. Pappas Bro's is good steak as well. I think the Montrose area has some bars, but it can be kind of more uh "swishy"? over there, so someone might be buying your beers for you lol

You'll have better luck with beer downtown. There is a bar called the Flying Saucer in downtown, somewhat close to the convention center. They have a ton of beers on tap. There is also a dueling piano bar that's nice, but I couldn't tell you what the beer selection is like.

Anyway, good luck with your trip and finding beer. I'd offer to help show you a few places myself, but I'm working this entire weekend. Maybe someone else will step up.

For sure visit Karbach, short cabbie ride. Skip the tour, really not any mind blowing info there. Gets really busy on Saturday in those few short hours they let people in. But, well worth a trip to see the operation and sample the brews. If you go, bring cash, no cards. $7 gets you a small keepsake glass (which can be upgraded to a larger glass) and 4 brew tastes, more can be purchased. Careful on the Rodeo Clown, save it for last. The crowd there on Saturday is 21-35, hanging out, talking, drinking brew, before going home and getting ready to go out for the evening. Bar scene, not sure what age or lifestyle you are, so, Washington Avenue is full of the "younger crowd" getting completely hammered bar hopping. Montrose area is hip with "rainbow" areas, not that there is anything wrong with that. Kirby area, spillover from Washington Avenue.

Back