Beer in a hot garage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volvodude

Reaction score
I gave my FIL a case of a bitter I had made because he likes the more mellow british hops. He told me recently it has been sitting in his garage..
Recently we have had several day of temps in the 80's and 90's. Do you think the beer has suffered much? I really should bring my babies back home to my cool basement.

I keep my kegs in the garage in South Texas. we cool down to around 85* at night and when you put the car in and add the heat from the engine, it can get pretty warm in there.
Throw them in the fridge and let them cool down and all is well.

You don't think Ben E Keith uses reefers when they're distributing to the stores do you?

Thanks for the responses. I want to take this beer along with me to the beach on saturday, but I didn't want to take it if it was skanky.

Higher temperatures serve as a catalyst for beer aging. I can't find the post right now, but I think that I remember someone saying that beer ages/conditions about 4X faster for every 10 degrees F over 70. So at 90 degrees, your beer is likely aging pretty quickly, so I wouldn't store it there for too long, because you are quickly going to cross over into the quality of the beer quickly deteriorating.

I am in Central FL and just put all of my bottles into an interior closet. My house stays at about 75 degrees and the interior closet is usually 2-3 degrees cooler than that. Clear out a shelf in your house to store your beer.

Back