Beer head on cider possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drewed

Reaction score
Is it possible to have a beer head on a glass of cider? I'm not looking for a Guinness style, but perhaps a Sam Adams? Or at least a decent that root Beer?

Is there an additive? Or is head more a case of grains and such? In which case it would totally screw with th taste.

I think that you need a net of proteins to trap the CO2 to create a head. Apples are essentially protein free. If you really want a head you may need to create an apple ale otherwise cider will - at very best - behave a little like a sparkling wine.. The one option I can think of - and this won't create a beer like head - is to pour the cider into a glass with nucleation points. Those points will encourage the continuous production of bubbles from the CO2 in the cider but they won't produce a head. For that you need something to trap the CO2. And to the best of my understanding there is nothing in apples that do that.

Bernard is correct- No protein= No head. I did a straight cider a few years back and over carbonated it. She was fizzy and did have a head when poured, but it only lasted seconds.
What you need to do is make a Graf- check out Brandon O's original thread and the hundreds of additional threads since.

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I was trying to get a particularly cloudy batch of cider to clarify, and discovered that adding gelatine causes it to form quite a decent head.

I added 1.5 tsp of Gelatine to 5gal of cider; When kegged, the result is a beer-like head on a cider that is otherwise unchanged in flavour.

Not what I wanted, but might be helpful for anyone who does :)

I haven’t accidentally got to ambitious with force carbing and got some massive heads on my pour. It only lasts a few minutes and doesn’t have any flavor.

Cracked a qt of pineapple cider a few days ago, down to the last pour it made a really nice head on the glass. Wonderful bright taste too.

Judges in a recent competition noted that my cider had no head retention :rolleyes:. I had a good laugh when I saw they were using beer scoresheets.

Back