Beer gun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacomaHomeBrew

Reaction score
So I am wanting to get a beer gun to bottle up some beer. What are the disadvantages with the beer gun, specifically Blichmans. Also, is it ok to bottle when the beer is cold and store it elsewhere outside of a fridge? Will it still age at all or does that stop since it was previously cooled? Thanks guys.

Beer will continuously age, just slower in colder temps. I have bottled cold and stored it in cool place with no ill effects. As far as the beer gun, I dont have one.

I have the Blichmann beer gun as well as the Bowie setup (bought both the fitting and the kit from the threads here)... Honestly, I like using the beer gun far more. It really doesn't take any longer to setup, and IMO is easier to use. Plus, with the beer gun you get to purge the bottle with CO2. Not an option on the Bowie bottler. I've also had foam bursts when using the Bowie assembly (due to the stopper, no matter how I use the relief valve) that doesn't happen with the beer gun.

To be honest, I got the Bowie assembly first. First time I used it I thought it was great. Then I tried to use it on more than one tap in a session. Didn't like it so much after that. One (or two) of the o-rings ripped when I was inserting it into the second faucet (yes, I did use lube) and it wasn't all that easy for me to figure out which one(s) to install to replace them. They are so bloody close to the same size that it's really difficult [for me] to tell the difference.

After that, I ordered the beer gun (from Rebel since they had a really good price at the time, plus free shipping). I got with another brewer that I sometimes get kegging gear from and he set it up to use a corny ball lock post for the gas feed. This makes it a snap to setup and use (as well as clean after). I have enough CO2 sources, and regulators, that using another feed isn't an issue. I don't need to disconnect any of my kegs, or add another feed to the regulator feeding the kegs. I've had great results using it with up to about 12psi (they say to keep it under 15 psi) provided I chill the bottles down first (something you need to do with either setup).

As for removing chilled, carbonated, beer once it's in bottles from the fridge... It will be the same as if you removed the keg from the fridge and then put it back again to chill and serve. Some brews will have zero issues. While others might have more pronounced chill haze after that. IMO, it will be a purely visual difference and not impact how the brew tastes. I would just keep the bottles as cool as possible until you're ready to chill and drink them.

As already mentioned, beer chilled to serving temps will slowly (really slowly) age. The warmer it is, the faster it will age (as with most fermented items).

Golddiggie said:
I have the Blichmann beer gun as well as the Bowie setup (bought both the fitting and the kit from the threads here)... Honestly, I like using the beer gun far more. It really doesn't take any longer to setup, and IMO is easier to use. Plus, with the beer gun you get to purge the bottle with CO2. Not an option on the Bowie bottler. I've also had foam bursts when using the Bowie assembly (due to the stopper, no matter how I use the relief valve) that doesn't happen with the beer gun.

To be honest, I got the Bowie assembly first. First time I used it I thought it was great. Then I tried to use it on more than one tap in a session. Didn't like it so much after that. One (or two) of the o-rings ripped when I was inserting it into the second faucet (yes, I did use lube) and it wasn't all that easy for me to figure out which one(s) to install to replace them. They are so bloody close to the same size that it's really difficult [for me] to tell the difference.

After that, I ordered the beer gun (from Rebel since they had a really good price at the time, plus free shipping). I got with another brewer that I sometimes get kegging gear from and he set it up to use a corny ball lock post for the gas feed. This makes it a snap to setup and use (as well as clean after). I have enough CO2 sources, and regulators, that using another feed isn't an issue. I don't need to disconnect any of my kegs, or add another feed to the regulator feeding the kegs. I've had great results using it with up to about 12psi (they say to keep it under 15 psi) provided I chill the bottles down first (something you need to do with either setup).

As for removing chilled, carbonated, beer once it's in bottles from the fridge... It will be the same as if you removed the keg from the fridge and then put it back again to chill and serve. Some brews will have zero issues. While others might have more pronounced chill haze after that. IMO, it will be a purely visual difference and not impact how the brew tastes. I would just keep the bottles as cool as possible until you're ready to chill and drink them.

As already mentioned, beer chilled to serving temps will slowly (really slowly) age. The warmer it is, the faster it will age (as with most fermented items).

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Back