Beer/Gas line diameter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedevanzoshift

Reaction score
Hey all,

Gathering everything to build a keezer. Im looking to have a 3 line manifold to have 3 taps. I see homebrewing.org has 3/8'' manifolds, and kegconnection.com has 3/16 and 5/16.

I figure I should pick a size and stick with it (getting disconnects, extra lines, etc).

Just wanted to see if the size really matters, if its just personal preference, or if anyone has any recommendations or a little more insight.

Thanks in advance

I think either way you'll be fine but if you have to choose, I'd go smaller diameter because you want to have more pressure drop so the beer doesn't come out so fast. I went with keg connection for my keezer and could not have been happier with the service and parts I received.

Definitely 3/16! 5/16 doesn't seem like that much more but it's going to be a massive pain. For homebrew folks stay away from 1/4 as you almost need 3x or 4x the length (of 3/16) to balance it, 5/16 would obvious be even worse.

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/4954/From_Flat_To_Foam-Ray_Daniels.pdf

btw, invest in good beer line. The cadillac is accuflex bev-seal ultra. It doesn't absorb flavors and will last longer. It's a pain to install though.

It sounds like OP is talking about a gas manifold. In which case the size doesn't matter.

It sounds like OP is talking about a gas manifold. In which case the size doesn't matter.

Agreed; I immediately thought it was a gas manifold question as well.

That said, I'd go 5/16" for gas. As far as I can tell, 5/16" and 1/4" appear to be the most common barb sizes for gas line. Not sure I've seen 3/8" anywhere.

This isn't a question about line diameter, it's a question about manifold barb diameters. I recommend you go with 5/16" manifold barbs and 1/4" gas line. Heat the gas line in boiling water for a few seconds (or carefully with a lighter) and spray the barb with starsan. You can get 1/4" onto a 5/16" barb and even without hose clamps (I still recommend you use them) hold pressure without leaks.

For beer line (not your question, but somewhat related) I'd recommend 3/16" for the reasons stated in the above posts.

Back