Beer for a Wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sillybilly

Reaction score
My brother is getting married in late October/early November, my dad suggested that we would each brew a beer for the wedding. Looking for some suggestions on a good combo of beer. I am thinking a Wit might be a good choice for one them...

You have to know your audience. If they're mainly BMC drinkers, I'd suggest a cream ale, blonde ale, pilsner, or even a saison.

If it's a mixed group (craft and BMC drinkers), maybe a pale ale, or, again, a saison.

Basically, brew something that will appeal to the masses. At a wedding, if you're brewing beer, it's for the guests to enjoy. This means that it isn't the time to try out new recipes, brew a hop monster, an imperial stout, etc.

If it were me, I'd ask the bride and groom what they want at their wedding.

For my wedding we brewed 30 gallons.
10 gallons of IPA
10 gallons of a lighter pale
10 gallons of an imperial stout (ended up about 8%)

It was August and hot....we had about half the stout left and very little of the IPA and pale. You have to know your audience. All we had was wine & beer. (And a pack of Coors Light for one individual because that is all he drinks.)

You have to know your audience. If they're mainly BMC drinkers, I'd suggest a cream ale, blonde ale, pilsner, or even a saison.

If it's a mixed group (craft and BMC drinkers), maybe a pale ale, or, again, a saison.

Basically, brew something that will appeal to the masses. At a wedding, if you're brewing beer, it's for the guests to enjoy. This means that it isn't the time to try out new recipes, brew a hop monster, an imperial stout, etc.

If it were me, I'd ask the bride and groom what they want at their wedding.

Yeah, i am not entirely sure of the crowd, but my best guess is that it will a fairly even mix of BMC and craft drinkers. That is why I am leaning towards fairly conservative styles and recipes to appeal to the masses. I was thinking, like you said, something like kolsch, blond, or wit for more of the "on the fence" BMC drinkers and then something more for the craft beer drinkers, but still nothing over the top. Good thing is I have some time to test out a recipe to make sure its sound.

I will ask what they want, but knowing them they will likely leave it open to whatever we want to make.

Kolsch is my go-to for this kind of situation. It has enough in common with BMC to keep lovers of that crap happy, but it's different enough from BMC that the highly principled beer snobs in the lot can drink it without being overcome with shame.

You could even make a big batch of it, split it into separate fermentors, and dry-hop the crap out of one of them to make a highly quaffable pale ale. Two birds with one stone.

My youngest son got married this last November. He and the bride requested a nut brown ale for their wedding. My son and I brewed it together and I had it there at the wedding along with a full open bar. It was spot on and came out fantastic and my son and daughter-in-law were very happy. Everyone loved it, especially since the "groom brewed it" and they had to try it. Needless to say the keg was completely empty at the end of the reception.

John

Back