Beer filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim24

Reaction score
I'm going to get a beer filter I just need to know what Micron to get

How cloudy is your beer after racking to another vessel? A cloudy beer you would want to start with a coarse. If you cold crash first. You might get away with a medium.

What are you trying to accomplish? Do you bottle or keg?

I ask because the filtering question is most asked on this forum by newer brewers trying to eliminate sediment in bottles. Of course, you can't naturally carbonate bottles without yeast sediment, so it's futile to filter it.

I get clear beer through whirlfloc tablets and letting kegs have a nice long cold conditioning period. MUCH easier and certainly much cheapers than filtering. If I want sediment-free bottled beer, especially for competitions, I borrow my buddy's beer gun.

I'd recommend the coarse plate filters, according to northern brewer they're 2-7 microns nominal. I've only used the coarse, and the beers came out commercial clear. I cold crash for 48 hours at 30F then filter cold. Here's a link to a pic of a coarse filtered beer that was fermented with kolsch yeast, which is a very powdery low flocculating yeast, and dry hopped with 4oz of pellets
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f85/new-post-picture-your-pint-285100/index36.html#post4013931

I'm using kegs I'm trying to filter it to get the cloud out. I have a cartridge filter

I have just been told buy a mate to use 1 miron but looking at the filter cartridge it looks like it would be hard to clean

I have just been told buy a mate to use 1 miron but looking at the filter cartridge it looks like it would be hard to clean

I don't know of any reusable filters. The ones I know of are a one-time use only. You throw away the filter cartridge after using, and just keep the housing and set up.

Yooper said:
I don't know of any reusable filters. The ones I know of are a one-time use only. You throw away the filter cartridge after using, and just keep the housing and set up.

Can you tell me how long you get out of them ?

Back