Beer ended with High FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kampo

Reaction score
so started a beer a 3.5 weeks ago, bottled last night. OG was 1.048 Finaled at 1.017 (where is was when I left on Vacation 1.5 weeks ago also) bottled it last night, used Notty Yeast, and only thing I can think of that may of stalled the fermentation from the anticipated 1.01 is that I did use some old LME that needed to be used up in this beer.

Should I worry or is this something that just happens sometimes.

If your fermentation didn't attenuate, I'd wonder more about oxygenation at pitching time and the fermentation temperature.

fermented in the mid to upper 60s in my basement. as far as oxygenation don't think it was an issue, I did cool over night because it was a late brew night. let wort cool in the pot a bit then poored it in to the bucket to oxygenate it (let it spash a bit) and then stuck the bucket in some ice water in a sink and went to bed, threw my starter of notty in the morn before work, fermented pretty hard, almost needed a blowoff.

FWIW, I never had an extract batch go below 1.016 and most of them stopped at 1.018. For me, it seemed the extract was the problem because as soon as I started doing partial mashes and all grain (using the exact same yeast and temperature control) I readily see 1.012. Take home message, if it's stable at 1.017, I wouldn't worry about it.

ok sounds good, it tastes really good anyway, excited for it to finish, kinda brewed it as a session IPA/hoppy pale ale, tastes like that just a bit more sessionable than I planed being closer to 4% abv than the 4.8% I planned.

Back