Beer Coming out sweet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mook3527

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the beer brewing seen and loving it so far. However the last to beers I did, A maple wheat, and a dupont saison, have come out sweet. The dupont had an of 1.065 and final of 1.013, but my final is 1.010. Its been in primary for 2 weeks, and just transfered to secondary, and tasted really sweet, any suggestions?

Best if you posted the recipe and process to provide insight as the gravity readings sound okay, could be a number of factors but need the recipe to start

Hey guys, new to the beer brewing seen and loving it so far. However the last to beers I did, A maple wheat, and a dupont saison, have come out sweet. The dupont had an of 1.065 and final of 1.013, but my final is 1.010. Its been in primary for 2 weeks, and just transfered to secondary, and tasted really sweet, any suggestions?

Hmm.. 1.013 and 1.010 seems like they attenuated pretty well for a 1.065 beer. I guess you could put the secondary somewhere a little warmer in your house--say 75-80 degrees and see if it goes any lower. My guess is the flavor will change with another week and some carbonation.

If it does not, and you like this recipe, you can always switch up the yeast for the next batch to a strain that is made to finish a little drier.

The other thing to consider is the amount of hops. You have to add more when using sweeter malts or more fermentables to balance things out. But I agree,we need more info.

It was for an extract.
Steep Grains for 30 at 150
added Muntons Extra light DME, Belgian clear candi sugar, and syrian Golding Hops
boiled for 45 min then added
east kent hops, curacao bitter orange peel, and irish moss
boiled for 10, then added
more east kent hops
Boiled 5 min then cooled and pitched. Fermented 2 weeks, and my gravity is at 1.010 right now, calls for 1.013. Tasted sweet to me though. Thanks for the help.

Carbonation will also change the flavor. Wait until the beer is bottled and carbed up for a few weeks. You are tasting beer that is not done yet.

Everything seems to have attenuated well, as a note, when asked for recipe we all need amounts like lbs of DME or oz for hops as quantities play a huge factor in what you make.

My beers tend to taste a little sweet when sampled out of fermentation but once carbonated and conditioned taste the way they should so be patient, if after its still sweet then you need more hops to balance it out as mentioned above

2 weeks is likely not long enough for a Saison using 3724, unless you've got it running at 80+F it will probably dry out yet more. 3724 is a finicky beast, you're best to leave it a month and then bottle.

The lower the FG, the drier the beer (generally speaking)--gravity measures dissolved solids, and the closer you are to 1.0 the closer you are to pure water. If your gravity was higher than expected, that would cause excess sweetness, but if it's lower than expected, that should mean it will finish drier than expected. Make sure you give it plenty of time to carb up adequately, as CO2 adds a lot of taste and generally makes things taste less sweet--think of how much sweeter flat soda pop tastes than fresh fully-carbonated soda.

fermenting temps may have went high to about 80, not sure if that makes a difference. i just put secondary in basement around 65.

I used 6.66 lbs of extra light dme. OG 1.065 Gravity now 1.10. Should i be worried? Thanks for all the help so far, much appreciated.

If a beer is too sweet, there are really only two causes. One is underattenuation (finishing at a too-high FG) which isn't the case here. The other cause is underbittering, which may or may not be the case. You'd have to post the recipe, along with the AAU of the hops used and any other pertinent info, so the IBUs could be calculated to see if that's the problem. With styrian goldings hops for bittering, it could simply be underbittered.

Carbonation provides some "bite" too, so sometimes a beer that seems too sweet out of the fermenter is perfect once carbed up.

Carbonation provides some "bite" too, so sometimes a beer that seems too sweet out of the fermenter is perfect once carbed up.

Like the OP, I'm a beginner, and my first tasting of my first batch last night brought me to this realization. The FG was way too high (which I was told, possibly by you, was the result of adding LME and dark DME so early) and it still came out pretty tasty once it carbed up.

Back