Beer chili recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only use malty beers in cooking. I've never had success with hoppy beers in food. Hoppy beers are good for drinking with spicy foods, but not in them. If you ever have Thai food, drink an IPA with it, you'll wonder how you lived before it.

I use Troegenator (big doublebock, doesn't know what hops are) in chili all the time, just yesterday as a matter of fact. I make brown ale gravy a lot to put on mashed potatoes. Stouts make excellent additions to desserts...coffee stout in chocolate chip/walnut cookie bars, yum.

I just watched a youtube video on making Indian food. Dude threw a handful of peas into the food and then said it has a different name now. I lol'd and thought of this thread.

I'm having a chili cookoff this weekend at the house with a few friends and some homebrew. I copied some rules from another organization and some of my friends freaked out when it said " NO Beans or Pasta"

I'm born and raised in Texas, it's just how I do it. I've had chili all over the US and could care less if it had beans in it. One thing I am strictly opposed to is Turkey or "White" Chili thats more of a soup. That sh*ts for Hippies.

I'm having a chili cookoff this weekend at the house with a few friends and some homebrew. I copied some rules from another organization and some of my friends freaked out when it said " NO Beans or Pasta"

I'm born and raised in Texas, it's just how I do it. I've had chili all over the US and could care less if it had beans in it. One thing I am strictly opposed to is Turkey or "White" Chili thats more of a soup. That sh*ts for Hippies.

.......and your name is PAUL.

Thanks for playing.

I made some awesome turkey.....soup last year.

All the little boys in TEXAS playing in the dirt and making up chili rules can all go and............................

Alright. Never mind.

Send me a copy of THE RULES, and every fifth batch of chili I make, I will make some TEXAS RED.

.......and your name is PAUL.

Thanks for playing.

I made some awesome turkey.....soup last year.

All the little boys in TEXAS playing in the dirt and making up chili rules can all go and............................

Alright. Never mind.

Send me a copy of THE RULES, and every fifth batch of chili I make, I will make some TEXAS RED.

I have nothing positive to say to this.

Impossible. If it has beans you never made chili on the first four batches.

Lol, for some reason, I find your zealous humor.......FUNNY.

I would appreciate a smiley though.;)

I also appreciate your "puzzler" like approach to logic.

HOWZ DIS......

Every fifth time I make chili/ chili WITH BEANS(your words) I will adhere. If, however, CINNAMON is banned....I will move to texas, assume a false identity(involving chaps and a 10 GALLON HAT) win the chili OLYMPICS (or WHATEVER TF) and then reveal that my award winning **** had cinnamon and cloves and pureed beans.

HOWZ DIS......

Every fifth time I make chili/ chili WITH BEANS(your words) I will adhere. If, however, CINNAMON is banned....I will move to texas, assume a false identity(involving chaps and a 10 GALLON HAT) win the chili OLYMPICS (or WHATEVER TF) and then reveal that my award winning **** had cinnamon and cloves and pureed beans.

There are many different styles/ways to make chili...rather like beer...but I hesitate to go into them, doing so in this string might make me feel like a atheist in one of those churches where they roll on the floor and handle snakes.

Lol, for some reason, I find your zealous humor.......FUNNY.

I would appreciate a smiley though.;)

I also appreciate your "puzzler" like approach to logic.

HOWZ DIS......

A cinnamon flavored soup would be noticed in your regional qualifier and promptly laughed out of the competition. Cinnamon, like feces, isn't a banned ingredient. Though I'd imagine you wouldn't want to use either if you have serious intentions of winning.

I also find it somewhat hypocritical to mock those who take competitive chili competitions seriously on a beer forum. There are any number of threads on this board about what grain is best for what and what quality of yeast best used at X temperature, etc, etc.

Would you know that chili cooks are just as picky? In my own recipe I use 4 different types of chili powders/spices added at various times (referred to as dumps) during the simmer? Using just the right type of powders at the right times can drastically affect flavor, richness, and color. All of these are important. Type of meat, the way it's cut, the way it's prepared, etc are all as important too. Just as your average BMC drinker would laugh at the detail we go into to make that Pale Ale taste just the way we want, so do chili cooks.

So when some guy tells me that the best chili is made with cinnamon and comes from a glorified Greek hot dog stand in Cincinnati it's about the same to me as someone telling me that his favorite heffe is Bud Light Golden White.

There are any number of threads on this board about what grain is best for what and what quality of yeast best used at X temperature, etc, etc.

Most of us experienced brewers mock those threads if they are pompas and arrogant and equally silly arguments like AG vs Extract or SS vs Aluminum as well. ;)

I get what you're saying Revvy but imagine how pompous we all look to a typical beer drinker. In their eyes grain is grain. I know it also looks like I'm the typical pompous Texan boasting of how we do it better, yada, yada, yada. I'm really not. Our BBQ is not as good as Memphis' or even St. Louis'. They play football better in Florida. Our Mexican food isn't really Mexican. And truth be told you get better steaks in Chicago. I've met many fine chili cooks from California to New York. They all share the same respect for the cookoffs and chili tradition that I do.

A cinnamon flavored soup would be noticed in your regional qualifier and promptly laughed out of the competition. Cinnamon, like feces, isn't a banned ingredient. Though I'd imagine you wouldn't want to use either if you have serious intentions of winning.

You can't taste cinnamon in my chili, nor cumin, nor clove, but they are in there.

Bet some of your favorite chilis have had some too.

I also find it somewhat hypocritical to mock those who take competitive chili competitions seriously on a beer forum. There are any number of threads on this board about what grain is best for what and what quality of yeast best used at X temperature, etc, etc. .

I have NEVER been critical of your version of chili. IT WAS YOU WHO HAD THE AUDACITY TO TELL ME THAT WHAT I MAKE CAN'T BE CALLED CHILI.

So when some guy tells me that the best chili is made with cinnamon and comes from a glorified Greek hot dog stand in Cincinnati it's about the same to me as someone telling me that his favorite heffe is Bud Light Golden White.

My chili beats skyline. All I said was that theirs was a successful national chain. Don't seem to have a texas star chili around here.

Most of us experienced brewers mock those threads if they are pompas and arrogant and equally silly arguments like AG vs Extract or SS vs Aluminum as well. ;)

OK Revvy you can't call your IPA an IPA if you never intended to ship it to India.

Like being told what to do?

Me neither.

Me defending my right to call what I make chili somehow seems alot different than "stainless vs aluminum".

Capiche?

I also find it somewhat hypocritical to mock those who take competitive chili competitions seriously on a beer forum. There are any number of threads on this board about what grain is best for what and what quality of yeast best used at X temperature, etc, etc.

This is the OP:
Want to make a fairly simple beer chili, buy not sure what beer to go with. Was thinking about it and thinking either dogfish head 120min ipa or something like a Russian imperial, thoughts??
Never said anything about competitions. Just wants to make a simple beer chili. Chili can have beans. If a person wants beans in non-competition-chili then it would be silly to not put them in there because some random chili snob said not to.

ramey70 said:
I know it also looks like I'm the typical pompous Texan boasting of how we do it better, yada, yada, yada. I'm really not.
Yea, you really do look that way itt. People should make it how they like it, not necessarily how you like it. And I can guarantee that some winning chili-competition-recipes have ingredients you don't normally associate with chili (like cinnamon/whatever). There's prob some chili snob somewhere that thinks; "Good chili don't need 4 kinds of meat."

EDIT: And to OP (prob long gone by now): beers with a lot of bitterness generally don't work as well in cooking as low-bitterness beers.

EDIT: And to OP (prob long gone by now): beers with a lot of bitterness generally don't work as well in cooking as low-bitterness beers.

That's like using a crappy wine in cooking, when you are cooking something down you are concentrating the flavors. So if it's a bad wine, you're going to intensify the bad flavors. When it's a hoppy beer you are going to concentrate the bitterness when it reduces.

Of course I've always subscribed to the notion that bad wine = great spaghetti sauce.

Of course I've always subscribed to the notion that bad wine = great spaghetti sauce.

Bad wine = incredible spaghetti sauce.

of course, in the spirit of the thread we need to dissect the reason the wine was labeled as bad and then post 6 pages of conflicting views for and against.

then someone has to call someone a hippie.

and then ...

of course, in the spirit of the thread we need to dissect the reason the wine was labeled as bad and then post 6 pages of conflicting views for and against.

and then ...

do they make cinnamon wine with or without beans?

As mentioned before, I'm having a chili cookoff at the house this weekend. I just finished getting mine into the crockpot, and now SWMBO is in there making her batch. We've got totally different methods of cooking, ingredient combos, and there is a lot of smack talking going on.

There are a zillion different ways to make good chili. I'm anxious to see all the entries tomorrow. Hopefully mine will come out on top!

and then ...

At least no one's called anyone a Chilli Nazi or anything.....yet
I invoke Godwin's law. :)

GodwinsLaw_CatPoster.jpg

As mentioned before, I'm having a chili cookoff at the house this weekend. I just finished getting mine into the crockpot, and now SWMBO is in there making her batch. We've got totally different methods of cooking, ingredient combos, and there is a lot of smack talking going on.

There are a zillion different ways to make good chili. I'm anxious to see all the entries tomorrow. Hopefully mine will come out on top!

One of our members here, Terrapinchef (who is a chef) invited my gf and I over to his place to judge a chlli cookoff between he and his finace. He of course did a chilli like mine, extremely involved, with complicated ingredients, whereas his fiance, a teacher just grabbed whatever was in the cupboards, with little forethought. They were both excellent, but I figured of course that Ed would nail it.....

I was wrong.

Made the BEAN chili this past weekend.

Delicious.

As soon as i see the chili bible rules, I will make some without beans.

WHERE IS IT?

Actually, if it's made in cincinnatti, it can't be called chili........;)

Sure it can. Just make it right. Some of the best new england clam chowder I've ever had was made in Florida.

Now Tex-Mex, that's another story. It seems to start sucking once you get north of San Antonio. I'm still baffled as to how an On The Border or Don Pablos manages to stay in business in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Probably all the northerners migrating here that don't know any better.

Well, in Yeehaw Junction, Florida; the home of the worlds awesomest spaghetti competition, you don't put wine in spaghetti sauce. Beans yes, wine...no.

By the way, you're more than welcome to look over the list of $25,000 Cook Off winners for a recipe with cinnamon since all recipes are released at the end of competition.

And if you need a brush up on the rules, you might want to take a look at the very first one.

There's quite a few qualifiers in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky every year. Give it a shot.

Brew it how you like, bean it if you want. Just don't ever put ketchup on a hot dog.

I could PROBABLY choke down a ketchupy hot dog, but if you put a burger in front of me with mayonaise on it, someone else will have to eat it.
Mayonaise ain't fit for man nor beast!:off:

. . . . but not on my pancakes, . . .no sir . . . .it's boysenberry syrup on the pancakes, and chokecherry jam on the waffles . . . .:off:

You mean we're still arguing about beans, cinammon and chilli cookoffs?

beating_a_dead_horse1.gif

:D

On a different note the guy who owns the brewshop in town wanted my recipe for deercamp this weekend. He's gonna give me some venison for letting him have the recipe! Yehaw!!!

I could PROBABLY choke down a ketchupy hot dog, but if you put a burger in front of me with mayonaise on it, someone else will have to eat it.
Mayonaise ain't fit for man nor beast!:off:
The mayo is a fat-based layer on the bottom bun as a last line of defense against the juices making the bottom bun soggy. Shredded lettuce goes on top of the mayo but under the burger to catch all those yummy juices. Burger engineering 101 (most places get it all wrong).

I'm being half-serious, half-sarcastic. Eat your food how you like it.

By the way, you're more than welcome to look over the list of $25,000 Cook Off winners for a recipe with cinnamon since all recipes are released at the end of competition.

And if you need a brush up on the rules, you might want to take a look at the very first one.

There's quite a few qualifiers in Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky every year. Give it a shot.

Thanks! I looked at a few.

Tons of MSG.

Lots of seasoned salt (which coontains cinnamon) and lots of pre mixed "chili powders". Not a fan of pre-mixed, especially in competition.

Lots of MOLE, which you turned your nose up at earlier.(chocolate and cinnamon in that)

I grow and dry my own chilis for powder. That alone would give me a leg up. See you soon!

:mug:

Back