Beer chili recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ed, especially in competition.

Lots of MOLE, which you turned your nose up at earlier.(chocolate and cinnamon in that)

I grow and dry my own chilis for powder. That alone would give me a leg up. See you soon!

:mug:

Yeppers!!!!!!!! That's my chili recipe, incorporating traditional mole ingredients!

I blend my own chili powder as well using dried chillies from the local bodega/mercado

Yeppers!!!!!!!! That's my chili recipe, incorporating traditional mole ingredients!

I blend my own chili powder as well using dried chillies from the local bodega/mercado

:mug:

I absolutely buy chilis at the local farmer's market.

Know whre I can buy some MSG?;)

Tons of MSG.

And?

Lots of seasoned salt (which coontains cinnamon) and lots of pre mixed "chili powders". Not a fan of pre-mixed, especially in competition.

Depends on the brand. Lawry's which is probably the most popular in the Southwest, does not contain cinnamon.

Do yourself a favor and get your spices here

Lots of MOLE, which you turned your nose up at earlier.(chocolate and cinnamon in that)

Perhaps the definition of "lots" is different in Kentucky (like chili), as I only count 3 recipes using mole out of the 30+ listed. In addition, mole varies by recipe in Mexico (unlike chili which is fairly simple). Chocolate yes, cinnamon less so. I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up to it (provided it's a southwest variety and not one of those Oaxaca varieties).

I only looked at 7 or 8 and saw at least 2 with mole. I retract "lots" but the fact that ANY "WORLD CHAMPIONS" had mole is significant.

I will check out pendery's Thanks! My jalapenos got some sort of bacterial spot, so I may need some supplementation.

I grow a 7 pot pepper (slightly hotter than a ghost chili) I may have 1 or 2 to spare this year.

They normally grow on trinidad and tobago, so they are just getting big.

Not a fan of MSG. Doesn't cause strokes? Please correct me.

I think a lot of the effects of MSG were overblown like the aluminum pot/Alzheimer connection.

I used to grew jalapenos too but it was discouraging because I'd go to the farmers' market and they were practically giving huge, plump ones away. So I just bought them. Plus, my soil is so acidic that I never could get the mellow taste in any peppers I wanted.

As far as mole, I have zero problems using it (depending on type). It's as southwest as southwest can be. Good stuff.

Penderys is fantastic. The amount of chili powders/peppers/spices they offer is almost as varied as grain selection at a homebrew store. I use them exclusively (helps that the place is literally two blocks from my wife's lab). Think of chili powders as malted barley, sure you could grow it yourself and modify/kiln it, but it's usually best left to those who excel at it.

I use their powders in my recipe with great results in my basic recipe. You can try it out if you want.

1# - top round steak
1# - bison sirloin (or chuck roast)
1# - venison backstrap
3 Tablespoons - Pendery's Top Hat Blend
3 Tablespoons - Pendery's Carol West Blend
3 Tablespoons - Pendery's San Antonio Red Blend
1.5 Tablespoons - Ground Cumin
1 Tablespoons - (cayenne pepper)
1.5 teaspoons minced garlic
1 large can diced tomatoes
1 - 8oz can tomato sauce
3 whole jalepenos
1 half small diced onion
Salt to taste
bacon fat for browning meat

Pulse chop all meat together in food processor.
Brown in bacon fat.

Simmer @ 45min with Top Hat powder, diced tomatoes and sauce, bringing water level to top of meat.

At end of first simmer, add Carol West blend, cumin and cayenne pepper. Add water as needed and simmer for 45 minutes.

Last dump add garlic, salt, whole peppers, onion, and San Antonio Red and simmer for 20 min.

That's pretty much it but sometimes I play around with the heat and meat selection.

So where at meijers is the chorizo. I found pretty much everything else in the ethnic food section. It looks awesome.

So where at meijers is the chorizo. I found pretty much everything else in the ethnic food section. It looks awesome.

In the meat cooler with the other sausage, the package looks like this;

30109.jpg

Also some meijers does sell ground chorizo at the meat counter near the ground beef. Sadly it is not consistant across the board, some do some don't.

Revvy, I used your recipe you posted earlier in this thread, and the Chorizo is the only part I didn't like about the Chili. I found it added a LOT of grease to it. I eventually drained it off with a seperator and it was delicious!!!

In the meat cooler with the other sausage, the package looks like this;

30109.jpg

Also some meijers does sell ground chorizo at the meat counter near the ground beef. Sadly it is not consistant across the board, some do some don't.

Thanks. Cookoff is on friday, this should be great.

Revvy, I used your recipe you posted earlier in this thread, and the Chorizo is the only part I didn't like about the Chili. I found it added a LOT of grease to it. I eventually drained it off with a seperator and it was delicious!!!

One thing folks could do would be to fridge for a couple hours to let the fat clump on the surface and remove it, or use paper towls on the surface. I honestly can't remember if I did any of that. I thought I mentioned in the recipe to drain off the fact from the chorizo. I probably did that subconsciously after I fried it. Because I don't recall it being greasy.

One thing folks could do would be to fridge for a couple hours to let the fat clump on the surface and remove it, or use paper towls on the surface. I honestly can't remember if I did any of that. I thought I mentioned in the recipe to drain off the fact from the chorizo. I probably did that subconsciously after I fried it. Because I don't recall it being greasy.

I drained it after cooking it. Maybe i just got cheap chorizo that had a lot of fat in it. I ended up ladling the broth into my gravy seperator, putting it in the fridge for an housr and scraping the fat off and put the broth back in the chili. It was a GREAT chili and got rave reviews.

Unfortunately I didn't win the cookoff though, the judges voted a Chicken Chili as the best (don't even get me started on how wrong I think That is for a chili cookoff in Texas!)

We all had a great time though, and it was fun tasting other peoples Chili!

I dont think anyone is still paying attention to this thread, but revvy I am going to make some of your chili for tailgating tomorrow. My only question is about abuelita mexican hot chocolate.... what the heck is it? and where do I find it!?!?! Thanks!!!

It is an instant mexican hot. Chocolate that comes in disks. Google it for a package picture. It shouldn't. Be hard to find. If your grocery has an international grocery aisle it shouls be there. Both krogers and meijers carry it. If you can't find it use some semi sweet bakers and a pinch of cinnamon.

It is an instant mexican hot. Chocolate that comes in disks. Google it for a package picture. It shouldn't. Be hard to find. If your grocery has an international grocery aisle it shouls be there. Both krogers and meijers carry it. If you can't find it use some semi sweet bakers and a pinch of cinnamon.

Thanks for the prompt response, your my hero!

I only brought up Terlingua again because a previous poster mentioned winning "cookoffs" with some cinnamon nutmeg pumpkin spice concoction. No cookoff of any relevance would ever take something so absurd seriously. Terlingua is a ghost town and merely hosts the two largest cook-offs in the country (both CASA and ICS sanctioned). The ICS hosts qualifiers all across the country and is based just near you...in Jacksonville, Florida.

Look I get that putting beans in chili can and often does tastes great. However, just as a chocolate cake may taste fantastic as well, it isn't chili either.

i know I am digging up an old post, was looking for some chili info and found this thread. not that I expect an answer on a thread this old, but you know 20 or 30 years ago they said the same thing about pumpkin in beer.......

Back