beer cave

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMWMK2

Reaction score
just started a beer cave, this used to be a workshop/storage area, im going to brew indoors with natural gas, i have my hood and inline fan ready. just waiting for the new windows to be installed. im going with cvt tile same color of the walls and a light tan checker board. im going figure two 8 ft florescent lights should be good enough. here are some pics

i had a little helper too

PICS ON SECOND PAGE

th_DSCN4843.jpg

th_DSCN4844.jpg

th_DSCN4845.jpg

th_DSCN4847.jpg

th_DSCN4852.jpg

Wort colored walls...hides stains...very nice!!! Stick with pales ales and browns and you're good to go! :)

Looking foward to seeing the progress on this. After brewing in the garage on a 12 degree day, it is tempting to start thinking about brewing indoors!

I am so envious of your having a basement. There are like three houses in Las Vegas with basements, maybe two ...

I am so envious of your having a basement. There are like three houses in Las Vegas with basements, maybe two ...

I'm right there with you... In Virginia Beach, it's nearly impossible to have basements here.

Following the build... Can't wait to see the build process.

heres an update, i installed 2 8 ft florecent lights, patched up the floor edges ( those are asbestos tile so i will be tiling over them) . and my burner came in! :ban: Do you think that this will be to close to the wall?
I am still waiting for the windows to be installed and the tile to come in.

DSCN4904.jpg

DSCN4905.jpg

DSCN4906.jpg

DSCN4907.jpg

DSCN4908.jpg

Yes I am, im using natural gas hook up, not propane. i am installing a small hood and venting system directly over top of the burner.

tile came in today! im thinking i should wait till the windows are installed before i do the tile

Yes I am, im using natural gas hook up, not propane. i am installing an OVERSIZED hood and OVERDESIGNED venting system directly over top of the burner AND PROVIDING NEGATIVE PRESSURE SO THAT FUMES HAVE NO CHANCE OF ESCAPING TO THE REST OF THE HOUSE.

I changed your stance for you. Take them how you would like. Wouldnt want anything to happen to the cute painter!

what i don't understand is how is it ok for me to have a gas range with no outside venting hood and i can cook for hours and its safer than using the same gas in the basement with an outside vented hood? i am having the gas line installed by a licensed professional who actually works for the gas company. how is this more dangerous than my stove?

You are probably right. For whatever reason I felt like it shouldnt work. Now that I think some more, I have two ventless gas fireplaces burning right now. As long as its being put in by a licensed pro, I have nothing more to say. In fact I take back what I said (other than about your lil painter!)

I appreciate the thought, especially about my little painter :)
My installer is also going to check the gas and co2 levels for me, he's a good guy to know

Looks more like a Brew Bunker than a beer cave to me... :D Especially with the concrete block walls...

Good idea to hold off on installing the floor tile until the windows are in. I'd even wait until the ceiling is installed, so that you don't need to worry about the tiles being buggered up.

Thinking about what I would have done, just a little different, compared with your design/layout... Install a dry-well (with a pump going outside, or to the sink drain, assuming you'll have a sink in the room) in the floor, then slope the tiles so that it drains to that point. Install a hose spout on one wall, so that you can simply hose down everything when you have a boil-over, or spill. You could use the same hose fitting for your wort chiller feed...

I think the vented hood is a great idea. With using natural gas, it's less about removing gas fumes as getting the water vapor from the boil out of the room.

Do you plan on fermenting in that same room? Making a fermentation chamber, or just going with ambient air temp?

Wondering if there was any way you could have painted the walls in a speck patter with most of the colors that your wort could be. That way, it will hide any spots... Although, you probably don't want to do that, so you can see them in order to clean them up. No point in leaving the wort on the walls, attracting all kinds of crawlies...

Those look like 10"x10" tiles on the floor. Be careful, many of these older 10"x10" tiles contain asbestos.

Those look like 10"x10" tiles on the floor. Be careful, many of these older 10"x10" tiles contain asbestos.

Yeah, he mentioned that in an earlier post. He is going to put new flooring over them. Kinda weird that the easy thing to do with our current code laws is to just cover up the toxic stuff.. Painting over lead, flooring over asbestos, etc..

Subscribed. Looks like you will end up having a nice place to brew. Very Jelous, like other posts I live in FL which means no basements. :( Thinking about forefitting having my truck in the garage and turning that into my brew room. Good luck and keep the pictures comming. :mug:

Thanks for all the well wishes and I will keep the pictures coming. The room is all cleaned , tile is in the house just waiting for the windows; hopefully they get installed this week

windows are done and vent is installed, now time for the floor. hell of a difference from the old ones.

2011-02-17_22-35-22_160.jpg

1298000683589.jpg

2011-02-17_22-32-27_318.jpg

2011-02-17_22-33-20_391.jpg

I'm thinking about ordering one of those blichmann burners and converting it to NG also. Have you fired it up yet? Are you using the available kit to convert it?
Matt

i used just regular floor patch from Lowes
I have not fired up the burner yet, cant wait to, but i have to get the gas line installed and just waiting for funds to do so.
will be posting pick of the floor soon

I have been trying to convince my wife for months to let me turn our basement into a brew cave. I'll keep close watch on your progress so I can share these ideas with her.

ok floors done , not too happy with it but it will work. just started moving some things in to make room in the other part of the basement

DSCN5103.jpg

DSCN5104.jpg

DSCN5106.jpg

DSCN5107.jpg

DSCN5110.jpg

now, that's startin to look great. now all you need is a do not disturb sign for all entry points into that room.

i have made the family aware of the situation in that room, it is sacred ground.
now i have to set it up and get some electrical work done, hang the hood and fan and get the gas line installed.

I'm right there with you... In Virginia Beach, it's nearly impossible to have basements here.

Following the build... Can't wait to see the build process.

I second that. If we had basements they would always be under water. I never thought that I was giving up a basement & the favorable brewing conditions of WI to come here. The things we do for a job.

As for the build, it's looking good. keeping an eye on it, and I have hopes of converting a 2nd garage into a brew house someday.

Back