Crawl Space Fermentation Chamber Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theothermillion

For the love of beer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After spending a good month trying to decide where I wanted to build out a fermentation chamber, I decided on the roomy section of my crawlspace. All the wood I'm using is re-purposed from shelving ripped out at work to save on costs.

PXL_20201218_194234130.jpg

I started with mounting the back braces to the wall with cross pieces mounted. (putting in a full length shelf for storage and future expansion options.)

PXL_20201219_185635690.jpg

Got most of the framing finished up yesterday except for the side the fridge will be going.

PXL_20201220_202143940.MP.jpg

Today's project is to get a power line ran and box installed along with caulking the gaps in the frame.

Fridge has been ordered and will be arriving on Wednesday. I got a great deal on one from Best Buy for $85 after failing to find a used one for a fair price.

For heat, I'm planning on using a small space heater for heat and for circulation I'm going with a 5in desk fan. I might experiment with using a heat pad with the space heater.

I have left over 2in foam board sheets from when my crawl space was sealed which I plan on starting to cut and install on Tuesday.

I'll keep everyone interested updated on the progress!

*edit to add additional equipment details and links

Last edited:
@Tobor_8thMan ,

I saw that other thread. fwiw, my intuition is that location matters a lot if you're relying on a fairly low-power cooling device. Crawl space feels feasible 'cuz it's cave-like. Hot garage? Not so much. I've got no data or calculations though. Best of luck with your project.

@theothermillion , I envy your big crawl space.

My basement is in the mid 60's F year round. However, for longer storage of what I've brewed without it going bad, I'd really like to construct something to keep them, IDO, around 36F or so. I tend to brew more in the Fall/Winter as I'm busy with other activities in the Spring/Summer (but I'd like to have my homebrew).

I've seen plans using an AC. In my situation an AC will not work.

I do wonder if an upright freezer with the insulated box attached would work? I'd need a fan or fans to move air around, but this, to me, seems as if it should work.

I realize this thread is a bit old. How did it work out? Sufficiently cooling? Size of the chamber? I ask as I'm interesting in constructing something similar.

I asked in another post and was basically told "can't do it".

Thanks.

It works great! I can fit 3 fermonsters inside although at most have only had 2. I don't see why a setup like this wouldn't work in a garage... I have a friend in Florida who did a similar setup in his garage using 3/4in insulation board and he doesn't have an issue. I used 2in board because I had it left over from the craw space getting sealed. As you can see in the interior photo, I have a small fan for circulation and small space heater with built-in fan for winter time.

The interior dimensions are:
H: 36in
W: 38 1/4in
D: 24in

If @theothermillion 's friend can achieve the temps @Tobor_8thMan seeks with only a mini-fridge cooling unit in a Florida garage then perhaps the more powerful freezer is never necessary for fermentation temps, and (in a cool basement) even much lower temps. Again, only intuition -- bolstered by the encouraging Florida report.

I had planned to cool an insulated cabinet in the garage with one of these when we moved to our one-level house. I miss my old fermentation room but love my garage brewery. Instead, I kept my old fridge fermentation, and got a 4-corny kegerator. I still lack for additional cold storage.

Cheers.

If @theothermillion 's friend can achieve the temps @Tobor_8thMan seeks with only a mini-fridge cooling unit in a Florida garage then perhaps the more powerful freezer is never necessary for fermentation temps, and (in a cool basement) even much lower temps. Again, only intuition -- bolstered by the encouraging Florida report.

A mini fridge with a mini freezer can easily handle running a chamber, even in Florida. It might struggle on the cold crash if the box is too bog, but for fermenting, it's not like you are needing super cold temps.

Back