Small UK Garage Brewery Build - Should I install a hood?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stub2403

Reaction score
As a long time lurker I thought it was time for a post as this forum has given me a lot of useful information over the years.

I started converting half of my garage into a brewery two years ago and have just about finished it, some pics of the build attached. The area is very small (2.5*2.5m) but can just about fit everything in, I have some racking on order to add to the storage capacity and will eventually get a splash back for the sink.

My original plan was to install a condenser hood directly above the kettles (1.5M wide) but I'm now wondering if installing it would offer any benefit. Just having the fan operating horizontally above the kettle only gave a small amount of condensation on the tiled wall during the boil (see picture) and none on the ceiling. I'm thinking that adding a large condenser hood will just increase the possibility of condensation. I'm sure it will look nice but not sure if it's worth the bother, thoughts?

Stuart
IMG_0256.jpeg

IMG_5293.jpegIMG_2324.jpegIMG_7001.jpegIMG_0073.jpegIMG_0128.jpegIMG_0174.jpegIMG_0201.jpegIMG_0214.jpegIMG_0230.jpeg

Congratulations! It is a beautiful brew house.

I think with all that you have invested in it, you would want to make sure that it lasts. It doesn't take much moisture to propagate mold, especially in that nice dry wall you've got. A hood would help protect your investment, but you could accomplish the same level of protection with a condenser on your boil kettle. Check out the thread on this forum:
(4) Boil kettle condenser - no overhead ventilation needed | HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Thanks, I did originally consider the kettle condenser option but as I had to put in an extract for our building regulations I thought I would make it big enough to work with a hood. I imagine that I will always get a degree of condensation on the wall behind the boil kettle up to the hood.

Back