Beer and Loathing in MPLS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been a brewer for a bit over a decade. Think I started in 2008? Usual story: started extract, moved to all grain. I currently use a fairly standard pot and cooler system with an outdoor burner, but I'm trying to move to an all-electric system in order to bring it inside (it's MN, YOU brew outside in February!).

My taste in beer is all over the map. To quote Sam Calagione, "fundamentally, beer is good." I also do some freelance design work for some of the local beer fests (not Dabbler, at least not yet), so you may bump into me on occasion out in the world.

I’m in Alaska. I’d love to go electric. Keeping the basement door open to watch the boil, not fun. There is an electric brewing here with lots of info.
Welcome.

I am wondering why more people don’t consider natural gas indoors? For most installations an exhaust fan is going to be needed anyway, and that’s probably going to deal with the natural gas fumes.

I put in a 990 CFM fan/hood last year and converted my Blichman burner to natural gas. It’s been working really well for me. I live in Minnesota as well. It was not only great to get out of the garage, but also to not have to move all my stuff into the garage for brew day.

I know gas is much harder to automate, but for me that wasn’t in the cards anyway.

I am wondering why more people don’t consider natural gas indoors? For most installations an exhaust fan is going to be needed anyway, and that’s probably going to deal with the natural gas fumes.

Can't speak for everyone, but for me it's a lot more than ventilation and automation. With my own background and with the space I have, electric just makes more sense and requires relatively little modification to my space, while gas would involve tearing a lot of my basement apart and probably moving the laundry room.

Gotta build the system that works for you. I love the diversity of that.

....while gas would involve tearing a lot of my basement apart and probably moving the laundry room.

Gotta build the system that works for you. I love the diversity of that.

Of course, everyone should play to their own strengths and the situation they have.

I know gas can be more intimidating for some people, but electric service can be a big deal too. Whether running gas lines or electric lines, both have their challenges!

Back