Beer alternative?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevA

Reaction score
Hi
Due to Covid/stress I'm having a bit of a reaction with gluten, dr says it should go away in time.
Gluten free beer and ingredients are a bit difficult to come by where I live. And have not been impressed with the local kits that are available...
What is the most beer like hopped drink that can be brewed (I keg and bottle)?
Does anyone have advice?

Try clarity ferm. It breaks down the proteins and lots of people do not react to them anymore when it's used in the fermenter. And chill haze is also gone then.

What is the most beer like hopped drink that can be brewed (I keg and bottle)?
A few months ago, I decided to brew "sugar beer" as an experiment -- i.e., beer with table sugar rather than malt as the fermentable. Then I learned that this is just what hard seltzer is (except usually seltzer is not hopped). I included hops, dark candi sugar, and yeast nutrient (which is essential because sugar is nutrient poor). I fermented with a Belgian yeast (WLP550 I think).

The end result is definitely beer-ish. I don't like it as much as regular beer, but it's all right as an alternative for variety. I certainly like it better than the fruity hard seltzers that are so popular these days.

Back