Beer aged for 8 months but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIC0

Reaction score
It was racked to secondary after a month of fermenting. Sat for another 7 months with still more trub than I like in the secondary so today I racked it again to cold crash.

I'm thinking it needs a teenybit of yeast added before bottle???

Thanks for the replies.

I am coming to the forum with the exact same question, I racked and re-pitched a second belgian smack pack of 3787 after it stalled in the 30s from an og of 86, that was 7 months ago...

re-pitch another smack of 3787, or will those little buggers wake up?

It's somewhat dependent on what yeast you used and how high the alcohol content is.

The last RIS I did was only about 10%; I aged it for about 4 months and added 1/2 a pack of CBC-1 at bottling. After about 8 weeks conditioning it's still not as carbed as I would like. Next time I'll add a full pack.

I also had a barleywine at about 11%; didn't age and didn't add yeast at bottling. After 8 weeks barely a wisp of carbonation. Opened all the bottles and added more yeast, now they're fine. Both of these beers were S-04.

I'd consider it cheap insurance.

After several failed carbonation attempts on beers >8% I have started to add US05 using sanitized tweezers to my bottles prior to filling. Some say just a few grains will do. I put a healthy amount in (probably 10-20 grains, I don't count).

For something that has been sitting around for that long, I would add more yeast. I have never done it so I don't know how much you would need. But I would suspect there is very little viable yeast left.

Even my big beers only get bulk aged about a month. I then bottle with no additional yeast and they have carbonated well. I then age in the bottles. My last is a RIS, and I have drunk more than half of them before they are a year old. I might not get to their peak of flavor before finishing them off.

For something that has been sitting around for that long, I would add more yeast. I have never done it so I don't know how much you would need. But I would suspect there is very little viable yeast left.

Even my big beers only get bulk aged about a month. I then bottle with no additional yeast and they have carbonated well. I then age in the bottles. My last is a RIS, and I have drunk more than half of them before they are a year old. I might not get to their peak of flavor before finishing them off.

Fresh yeast can't hurt

Latest posts

Back