Beer Advent calendar 2018

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hesitated to start this post because it seems kind of narcissistic. But I received one of those COSTCO German Beer Advent calendars. So, unless youse folks tell me you're bored, my plan is to post a pic of each beer during the Advent season.

PTDC0001.JPG

Pretty good. Somewhat like a maltier Kolsch. I don't know enough about the Helles style to say whether it's a good example, but I enjoyed it.

Last edited:
I'll check in to see what's in it. Carry on.

I do, however, expect at least a "good" or "sucks" to accompany each beer.

Last edited:
No, didn't know there was an app. Is it a description of the beers? Maybe I'll take a closer look at the box.

It's on the side of the box. It has a little break down of the beers and link to the brewery, and each one has had a little video to go along with the beer so far. The app isn't great and the videos are kind of silly, but it's entertaining nonetheless.

I'm not a wheat fan so that Dunkel is for the spousal unit...

I'm cool with all 24 beers showing up here but it's not the size that's the problem, it's the lack of focus. Maybe you're too close? If you're shooting with a phone see if it allows you to pick what it should focus on (my phone uses a long press on the object of interest)...

Cheers!

PTDC0004.JPG Beer#3: Perlenzauber German Pale Ale. Not bad, but kind of flavorless. My wife mentioned that "it tastes like the Ballantine ale my dad used to drink". I don't think it's anything like the bitter, skunky Ballantine I remember from my youth, but my memory may be colored by Ballantine being my 1st 'Hangover Beer'.

Advent Beer#4- Hallertauer Hopfen-Cuvee from Schloss Brauerei. It's description: "This unique beer specialty combines the four best aroma hops from the Hallertau region in Bavaria."
Light flavor, no malt presence- like a thin Kolsch. Pleasant amount of bitterness and floral aroma and flavor.

Attachments

• PTDC0001_01.JPG
    PTDC0001_01.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 94
Don't quit, please. But, the pics are...lacking in definition ;)
This ain't exactly presentation quality.

ptdc0006-jpg.601015

Something's seriously off. Either you're using a lense with a minimum focal length that's waaay too long for those shots, or you have an epic case of the shakes :D

Cheers!

PTDC0001_02.JPG Beer#6: Brauerei Egerer Edel-Pils. Pretty nice pils, although there was a weird metallic after-taste. Almost like they overdid the sulfate, but not in a brewery that conforms to the Reinheitsgebot (which it proudly proclaims on the can)
Day trippr- I think I finally figured out the appropriate setting on my camera!

Last edited:
PTDC0005.JPG Beer#7: St. Bonifacius 'Patron Saint of the Brewers', Premium Craft Beer from Germany. No other info. on the can. The box says "Dark Bock" but that's obviously wrong. Sorry St. Boni, it tastes most like a light American lager. Seriously, if I closed my eyes, I could be drinking a bud light. Oh well. Swing and a miss.........

You're tasting history, as pretty near all of the macro pisswaters are derived from beers that originated in that region.
'Murrica trashed the bejeezus out of the original recipes and methods - and made bazillions of $$$ at it :rock:

Cheers! ;)

PTDC0002_01.JPG PTDC0003.JPG I didn't post yesterday because of a combination of my homebrew club meeting (Homebrew Club of Greater Bangor) and Christmas Beer exchange, plus camping outdoors with the Scouts (not as cold as expected. Only got down to 9*f brrrrrr). So two pictures today: Advent beer#8: Schloss Weisse Der Charakter Bayerns. Another hefeweizen, but this one had subtle bananna esters. And I discovered something- while I may not like cloves, I did like the bananna.
Beer#9: Reider India Pale Ale. Interesting. I like a good IPA, although I'm not a fanatic. This one was quite bitter and probably not dryhopped as there was no 'Noble hop' presence that I could discern. I was hoping to get some spicy or floral noble hop notes. It was OK, but another, 'one glass and move on to the next' type.
By the way- I did sample, and come away from the HBGB meeting with bottles of some fabulous beers. We've got some pretty good brewers in our club!

Beer#11:Kress Bayrisch Zwickel. I am not familiar with the style and before looking it up I thought "looks and tastes like a cloudy Marzen". Sure enough that's how it's described. A young beer, cloudy with yeast, in this case in the Marzen style. I enjoyed this one.

Attachments

• PTDC0004_01.JPG
    PTDC0004_01.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 51
PTDC0005_01.JPG #12: Publiner Dunkles Exportbier, Schloss Brauerei. On the can: Irisch im Charakter, stark im Genuss. Very nice looking beer. Pleasant flavor, but kind of nonmemorable. And then there's that weird metallic off-taste that I picked up in #6.

PTDC0003_02.JPG PTDC0005_02.JPG Beer#13: Alpenkonig Gold Marzen. I was looking forward to a marzen as it's a favorite. This one is in the current german festbier style- light colored, light body. Nice, but had that weird metallic after-taste I've mentioned before.
Beer#14: Blau Weisse Hallertau Craftbier, Hohenthanner Schlossbrauerei. Quite nice, I really enjoyed this one. Similar to #13, without the after-taste.

I wonder if the after-taste I'm picking up has something to do with the cans? I did recently read something that some staleness-compounds can present as a metallic taste. I don't see any 'born-on' dates on the cans, but they do have an EXP of 5/2020. I imagine that to ship them to the US, they probably were canned back in the Spring/early summer this year. Or maybe I'm just being overly sensitive.

PTDC0006_01.JPG Beer#15: Herrnbrau Tradition Bayerisches Festbier. A light, very quaffable festbier-type. This one really hit the spot after brewing my Decemberfest Marzen and then cleaning the kitchen floor (it's a bargain I made years ago with SWMBO after my 1st brewday on the kitchen stove resulted in a boilover and a sticky floor. Doesn't matter that I brew in the garage now. Some traditions must not be changed)

I did this in 2016... it was a fun idea but unfortunately all the beers sort of tasted the same to me. I ended up using them to marinade brats to bbq through the year.

Latest posts

Back