Kölsch Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this over the weekend. It was my first all grain. Used the 10 gallon cooler I made from the directions on this site. Hit my target gravity and everything. I upped the hops just a touch. It smells great (yes, I'm an airlock sniffer). Thanks for all the great recipes, Ed!

N8

Here's my first pour! All grain BIAB (electric to boot!) on 2/5. Cold crashed for a week. I forgot to take the FG.

Looks and tastes great. Gorgeous lasting bright white head (not to style though). Faint pils aroma, light sweetness and graininess. Taste is delicately balanced bt pils malt and euro-spicy hop bitterness. Finishes crisply.

Thanks for the recipe - I will brew it again.

image-3750051256.jpg

Don't have perle hops. Only cascade, ttteanger, hallertau and Saaz. Which could I use as substitute?

Tapped the keg yesterday and had a few pints in the backyard. What a great, refreshing beer. I knew from the samples that this would be a winner, so luckily I made another 5 gallons last weekend. I'll definitely be making more in preparation for summer.

Rubes said:
Tapped the keg yesterday and had a few pints in the backyard. What a great, refreshing beer. I knew from the samples that this would be a winner, so luckily I made another 5 gallons last weekend. I'll definitely be making more in preparation for summer.

I had a few in my yard too! A month in and it is crystal clear and refreshing. Great Kolsch.

image-76449218.jpg

image-1078028128.jpg

elproducto said:
I've used all Tetts in Kolsch and it's really nice.

Yah it turned out tasty so far just cold crashed and kegged up yesterday. Samples taste great already. Secondly I just checked my reciepe I wound up using some Saaz with my tetts for bittering. I was running low on the tetts. Still pretty clear already, light, the most non fruity ale I've made to date. Clean and crisp is not an exaggeration.

Wow those pics look very nice. I'm going to do a batch today and I'm excited, it'll be my first time doing a kolsch and I finally got the yeast from my lhbs

I brewed this about ten days ago, 8 lbs pilsner, 2 lbs wheat. I was a little too efficient and ended up at a .:cool:56. Just tested and I am at .011. It is still a little cloudy, I will give it another 10 days or so and coldcrash and keg. The sample I pulled tasted amazingly good. Thanks Ed!
Jim

This may have already been discussed in this thread, so I apologize... but... I brewed this 2 weeks ago, and I plan to bottle. Should I crash cool the carboy for a week before I bottle? Obviously then the bottles will be at room temp for a couple of weeks carbing up. I'm thinking that would clear the beer nicely, but will that have any negative effects? Thanks!

slamback said:
This may have already been discussed in this thread, so I apologize... but... I brewed this 2 weeks ago, and I plan to bottle. Should I crash cool the carboy for a week before I bottle? Obviously then the bottles will be at room temp for a couple of weeks carbing up. I'm thinking that would clear the beer nicely, but will that have any negative effects? Thanks!

I crash cooled the Kolsch for about a week at about 38. I do this for all my beers and it produces a compact trub that is easier to avoid syphoning when I keg. That said it still took a week for it to become very, very clear. After two or three weeks it was as crystal clear as a light BMC.

Scroll up for a few pics of my beer - condensation obscured the clarity.

hey guys, what's the best water profile for this recipe?

400d said:
hey guys, what's the best water profile for this recipe?

Mine. Not really sure what my water profile is but my friends and I have gone through 25 gallons since the first of the year. It is the most popular in my house.

I'm mashing this right now. I couldn't get any Perle or Norther Brewer. I have 2 oz of Tettnanger, and some Magnum, Cascade and Goldings on hand. Any suggestions for an alternative hop schedule?

1 oz. of whole Cascade at 60 min was the order of the day. I'll use the Tettnanger at 15 and 5 per the original recipe. It ain't no Perle, but it's beer!

I want to brew this tomorrow but i will be traveling in 10 days. Would it still be okay if i cold crashed it in 14 days and does it make a difference if i cold crash it in the keg?

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Personally, I think you'd be better off letting it primary for more than 10 days. It certainly won't hurt it. I primary my kolsch's for 1 month, then lager in the keg for one month.

I make this once a month. I primary for 2 weeks, cold crash for a week, and then keg. I leave it in alone in the keg for at least 2 weeks, but longer is best.

I've brewer this before brew to serve 19 days. Cold crashed for 4 days. Great but really clears up after another week in the keg.

I'm going to brew it again this week with wyeast Kolsch II. It is supposed to floc out better. I'll post an update once I keg, I plan on serving later this month.

After two weeks in primary fermentation was done, but it was still looking pretty murky. I racked to secondary and after 24 hours it settled out and is amazingly clear. I'll keg it next week - can't wait!

I brewed this again today, all grain. I added 4oz of honey malt (don't hate) to give it a twist after being inspired by Black Widow Kolsch. I used the Wyeast 2575 Kolsch II. It is supposed to floc better, faster. I had a small amount if scorching in one of my heating elements so I'm a bit worried about that, let's see what happens. It's in the mini fridge fermenter at 64. The last batch was so good, can't wait for this one to hit the keg.

I brewed this again today, all grain. I added 4oz of honey malt (don't hate) to give it a twist after being inspired by Black Widow Kolsch. I used the Wyeast 2575 Kolsch II. It is supposed to floc better, faster. I had a small amount if scorching in one of my heating elements so I'm a bit worried about that, let's see what happens. It's in the mini fridge fermenter at 64. The last batch was so good, can't wait for this one to hit the keg.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm brewing this next weekend with 2lbs of rye malt.

Quick question, though. I'm using wyeast 2575. Their website says temperature range of 55-72. The package says 65-72. I'm asking because my local homebrew shop had some on tap that tasted like banana. Was more like a hefe than a kolsch. The guy said they fermented above 68 and so it got "bubblegummy." Wasn't very good.

The original post suggests fermentation at 68. Kinda high, no? Was thinking more like 60 degrees. Any thoughts? I can't recall how I did it last time. Was before I had beersmith.

Dgonza9 said:
If it makes you feel any better, I'm brewing this next weekend with 2lbs of rye malt.

Quick question, though. I'm using wyeast 2575. Their website says temperature range of 55-72. The package says 65-72. I'm asking because my local homebrew shop had some on tap that tasted like banana. Was more like a hefe than a kolsch. The guy said they fermented above 68 and so it got "bubblegummy." Wasn't very good.

The original post suggests fermentation at 68. Kinda high, no? Was thinking more like 60 degrees. Any thoughts? I can't recall how I did it last time. Was before I had beersmith.

The best thing I did for my beer was to control ferment temps and keep them low. I've done is with four varieties (multiple times) all in the LOW sixties as measured by temp prob insulated and attached to the side of the bucket, they all came out very clean.

Lol about the rye sacreblue!

I found a bottle of this in my beer fridge a few weeks back. After 6 months of aging it was phenomenal! Crystal clear, crisp. Wow. I'm sure I'll never have the patience for that kind of aging again, but I hope to "lose" a bottle or two.

Dgonza9 said:
I found a bottle of this in my beer fridge a few weeks back. After 6 months of aging it was phenomenal! Crystal clear, crisp. Wow. I'm sure I'll never have the patience for that kind of aging again, but I hope to "lose" a bottle or two.

So you've done the rye before? Did you reduce other parts of the grain bill? How did it change the beer?

Finally got this brewed over the weekend -- original recipe -- just scaled up grains and hops very slightly to hit 6% ABV with original BU:GU ratio.

Also my first time racking onto an existing yeast cake and it took off in 4 hours :)rockin:). Fermented hard @ 62°F overnight and had to drop it down to 58°F this morning to keep from having a blowout. Now for the damn waiting game.

Prost Ed Wort!

So you've done the rye before? Did you reduce other parts of the grain bill? How did it change the beer?

No. Actually I've only done the original recipe, which is really great. But after 6 monts of inadvertent aging, I thought it was spectacular.

I'll let you know about the rye. I'm liking rye beers right now.

Just kegged my second batch. I loved the first but made two changes to this batch:
1. Wyeast Kolsch II and
2. 4oz of honey malt

BTW, I do all grain, electric BIAB.

Here are my notes:

6/10/12 kegged, quick force carb after two weeks lagering in low 30s. Golden yellow, pure white head which lingers and leaves nice lacing. Pilsner-like aroma, crisp clean, light malt taste, hint of honey balanced by lingering peppery noble hop bitterness.

Note about pic: not perfectly clear, yes, but this is the FIRST pour. I did pick up some of the yeast cake when using the auto syphon.

I definitely recommend trying a few oz of honey malt. This is delicious.

image-169318601.jpg

Hey guys. Just had a Kolsch from Troegs, really loved it for a summer beer. It had alot of cracker taste to it though that was great, could I add 1/2 pound of biscuit to get this or does the Kolsch yeast produce this.

Well this is going to be my first AG batch...going the BIAB method and scaling down to 2.5G. Do I need to adjust anything assuming my efficiency will probably be in the 65% range?

Should I be concerned my basement temp is a constant 68 degrees so this would ferment on the warmer side?

cbehr said:
Well this is going to be my first AG batch...going the BIAB method and scaling down to 2.5G. Do I need to adjust anything assuming my efficiency will probably be in the 65% range?

Should I be concerned my basement temp is a constant 68 degrees so this would ferment on the warmer side?

You could do 3.5 lbs pils and 1.5 lbs wheat.
I like to ferment mine at 62 degrees for about 2 weeks, rack to keg and lager 36 degrees for a month. It's a great brew, it's the most popular beer I make.

Yup Seatbelt. Mine looks just like that too!

Wow!

My 1st Kolsch. IT IS DIFFERENT! :drunk: Good, but different! I just poured my 1st glass from the keg, we'll see how the gang likes it. :)

I have yet to have a beer all to myself. Using the recipes here on HBT. I guess that's a good thing?! ;)

I made this about 3-4 weeks ago with about 9% rye added in. Really nice beer, though I'm still lagering it.

I was looking for a summer lawn mowing beer and I've brewed this twice now this year as a BIAB with great results. Very tasty and going fast in my keg. Thanks Edwort!

I brewed this beer a couple months ago. I modified it slightly because my local store didn't have Perle. I did 0.2 oz of chinook and 1 oz tettnanger at the 60 minute addition and followed the recipe for the rest of it.

This beer turned out delicious! I entered it in a local competition and scored a 37 which was good enough for 3rd place out of 17 in the light hybrid category. So thanks for the recipe!

Brewed yesterday, ended up at 1.046 OG. Did not make a starter but it is already going strong. Looking forward to sampling this brew.

How would you say this beer compares/differs to the Alaskan Summer Kolsch Ale?

I bought a sixer of that and love it...

I picked up some kolsch yeast and want to try it as my next brew... Next trip into town on the 1st, I can pick up some grains and hops for it...

Back