Kölsch Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm interested in brewing this kolsch recipe, but i don't have any kolsch yeast and getting yeast is hard here in iceland.

the yeast i have is safbrew t58, safale s04, safbrew s33, saflager s23 and safale us05. would any of these do?

The kolsch beer is a style that relies on the characteristics of kolsch yeast...so if you sub out yeast, it will not be a "kolsch".
I know that is not what you want to hear...maybe try it with S-05? or a different recipe?

i'm interested in brewing this kolsch recipe, but i don't have any kolsch yeast and getting yeast is hard here in iceland.

the yeast i have is safbrew t58, safale s04, safbrew s33, saflager s23 and safale us05. would any of these do?

This grain bill would be great w/ a lager yeast IMO, but to be totally honest I don't have any experience w/ the s23. Not a big fan of T58 at all. US-05 would be tasty or Notty fermented really cold (56-58F) would probably work well also. It won't be the same, but it'll almost certainly make really good beer. You might even find you like it better.

i have a porter that i'm going to bottle next week. i used #us05 for it. plan to reuse part of it for this kolsch

Funny Kolsch story from this weekend. I bottled some up to bring to our Teach a Friend to Brew Day brewday and poured some out for my friend. He's German, speaks German and goes back a few times a year. From his stories, he apparently goes back solely to drink beer and seeing his family is a side effect ;)

He took a sip, his eyes got real wide, he looked at me an exclaimed, "Are you f*ing kidding me?" He *loved* it. He said it reminded him of DAB beer.

-Joe

I'm brewing this on Saturday for imbibing for the ACC championship in Tampa TWO WEEKS from brew-date. Anyone had any experience drinking this that early? I've got a dozen or so friends to please and this was my fastest disappearing batch to date.

FWIW, I will be crash cooling on schedule and force carbing. The starter has been going since yesterday with WLP029.

Anyone had any experience drinking this that early?

Yeah it was still good, but the clarity just wasn't there yet. (10 days primary, 3 days crash-cooling, forced-carbed). It definitely got quite a bit better after a couple weeks at serving temps.

Absolutely! Everyone loved it. I had some foaming issue with one keg but I think it was more my equipment than anything else. It would have been clearer had I waited but it was more than drinkable for the weekend.

I got crazy high efficiency (upper 80's, lower 90's depending on whose webform I use) but it was still not too heavy. I have whole-heartedly decided that I need to have this on tap at all times too - way too delicious to only have for session occasions. This is my de facto "beer in 2" should I ever need another. :mug:

Can anyone who bottled this beer outline the process they used? I will be brewing this soon and my plan was 2 weeks in primary @ 65, 2 weeks primed and bottled @ 65 to carb and then crash it.

Is this correct, or should I use some other method?

Cheers!
Kevin

If you crash cool it in a secondary, you will have less sediment in your bottles. I've made this recipe a bunch of times--it's now a household standard--and I've never had a problem with carbonation after crash cooling for a week or so. Crash cooling in the bottle will work as well of course, but the sediment and yeast will settle in the bottle rather than in the carboy.

Just brewed this one up with my dad yesterday. Did everything according to the original recipe except tweaked the grain bill to 7.5 lb Pils and 2.0 lb wheat. Hit target OG right on, and the morning after, it's bubbling away happily. I have high hopes for this brew. Very excited to finally get to taste it, after all the positive reviews on here.

There was all this talk about crashing and kegging and what to do if bottling. I'm a bottler myself, so let me run this by you guys and let me know if it sounds like a good procedure: Primary until fermentation is complete; secondary for two weeks (I used whirlfloc -- would you suggest I use gelatin finings in the secondary as well?); bottle carb at room temp for 3 weeks; cold crash in fridge or "cellar" in my garage for a month.

Just realized I don't have the hops listed. I have 1lb of each of the following

Hallertau
Willamette
Cascade
Amarillo
Chinook
Galena

What would be the best substitution?

Replacing the Perle, or the tett? or both?

it is not ideal but I'd stick w hallertau all the way. A perle sub is northern brewer.
Possibly galena to bitter. This might have been discussed earlier in the thread, too.

Maybe Ed the man will pop in here

I'm attempting my first water adjustment with this recipe today. How does this look?

4414200408_162fd032f3_o.jpg

Edwort: Thank you for your recipes. Simple and straightforward! I'm finally trying something else besides your Apfelwein that I've been drinking for years now.

I'm going to give this a go with the Saflager-23 I have on hand. I understand it may not present as a true Kolsch, but I have a feeling it will be tasty none the less :mug:.

I am brewing this today for the first time. I'm also a bottler so if any bottlers can let me know how they fermented this, I'd appreciate it. I'm concerned about cold crashing for too long or if I should at all as I would hate to have a carbonation problem. I have a chest freezer with temp controller so I'm open to suggestions. Looking forward to this one! Thanks!!

I brewed this up awhile ago, let it ferment, racked it to secondary, where it's been for 2 or 3 weeks. It's brilliantly clear and looking amazing.
Now I've been worrying about this whole crashing and/or lagering that I'm apparently supposed to be doing. Is the purpose of lagering the Koelsch merely to clarify it, or does it condition it and bring out additional flavors?
I ask because I have no real way to keep it cool, without going to great pains to achieve a so-so result. Would I be better off to just bottle it as it is (since it's really clear anyway), or should I try to keep it cool for a week or two?

This is a must brew! In the keg two weeks after brew day and absolutely delicious. This is a real crowd pleaser, everybody loved it at a BBQ on Sat. Now I finally understand the "subtle fruitiness" of Kölsch...I can't get enough and I'm a serious hophead! A+++

Not yet into AG, but thinking about doing a partial mash of this.

How does this look:
3.3# Briess Pilsen Light DME
2.5# Pilsner (2 Row) Ger
2.5# Wheat Malt

1 oz Perle 8.1% AA for 60 minutes
1/2 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 3% AA for 15 min.
1/2 oz. Hallertauer Mittelfrueh 3% AA for 5 mi.
(what they have at the LBHS)
Wyeast Kolsch (2565)

Beer Calculus shows
Original Gravity
(1.046 to 1.054)
Final Gravity
(1.011 to 1.014)
Color
3° SRM / 6° EBC

33.5 IBU

I just bottled this yesterday and I think it's going to turn out fantastic. I can't wait to try the finished product.

Did you cold crash? If so, for how long? I just finished racking to secondary and set my freezer to 40 degrees. I also bottle so I don't want to keep it cold too long. This tasted fantastic out of the primary. Tastes similar to the new SA Noble Pils....

Did you cold crash? If so, for how long? I just finished racking to secondary and set my freezer to 40 degrees. I also bottle so I don't want to keep it cold too long. This tasted fantastic out of the primary. Tastes similar to the new SA Noble Pils....

I didn't really. I don't have access to a controlled environment in order to crash cool anything. I kept it in the primary for 14 days at about 62-63 then I transferred to the secondary and left it in there for 14 days at about 53-55. I'll probably end up bottle conditioning them about three weeks before drinking. Ideally I'd have liked to crash cooled, but I've found people who've had success with this yeast using similar methods as I did.

ok so I made this last monday and i am raking it today and have some questions. first here is the recipe that I used:
7# RAHR Plisner Malt
2.5# White Wheat Malt

1oz Perle @60
.5oz US Tet @15
.5oz US Tet @5

Pitched on a yeast cake of Wyeast 2565 from a BdG

I ended up not having as rigorus of a boil as BS thought I would and ended with ~6 gal of 1.040 beer then after fermenting since last Monday I took a grav reading and it is at 1.006 which I would assume as done. When I tried the grave reading tho it had a twang to it like a miller lite from tap or an old high life. I know why should I even know what that tastes like but I am in college in mke and it is the cheap bar swill. Will this go away with time/cold conditioning? Also I was drinking a Genesee Cream Ale at the time just before trying the grav sample could this have anything to do with that twang? Thanks for the help.

I don't have access to to White Labs Yeast without mail ordering so I am going to sub it out with the Wyeast Kolsch. Probably not a big difference but the fermentation range for Wyeast is much much larger 56F to 70F rather than 65F to 69F. I suppose I'll keep it on the high end to get the "fruity" flavors out of the yeast. This will also be my first attempt at an all grain. I'll let you all know how it turns out as it comes along. My swmbo loves Kolsch so I'm crossing my fingers on this one. Hopefully I won't screw it up too bad.

I made this recipe recently with my new Barley Crusher and GlobalMalt Kolsch malt. It was fantastic! Other than that, did everything by the book. I highly recommend trying the recipe with the kolsch malt (I got it from Brewmasters Warehouse).

Graham

I know this is an old post but I can’t believe none of you commented on the babes drinking beer? it’s a damn shame when a man post smiling woman drinking homemade beer and no one says , Damn nice SWMBO, or dang I like the blond , or I my case hey you got the tall chicks number? Yeah the one in the middle that drinks fast I like that in a woman ;)

BTW ED thanks for a great brew. I am brewing up a Party-Gyle where I will have one mash and the first 5gal of wort with make a Belgian Strong Golden Ale and the next 10gal with be used to make a Kölsch allot like this one. here here and cheers I will let you know how it goes.

The chicks dig Edwort's Kolsch.
SWMBO on left thinks its the best homebrew yet. 5.5 gallons lasted 3 days.

kolschd.jpg

So after enjoying the PM version this weekend, I went to get some from the keg to find nothing but CO2 coming out of the tap. Opened the kegerator, and there was about 2.5" of Kolsch sitting on the bottom... not sure what happened to the keg, but not good... the other 2 kegs did not leak like the Kolsch... it was great while it lasted :confused::confused:

Damn fine brew. I did this partial grain for simplicity sake and it was top notch! It takes me back to Cologne where I had way too much Kolsch one night. What do you think about adding flaked corn to this recipe? What would this do to the beer? I'm just starting to experiment with recipes and would love some advice. You see, I'm already planning to brew this again I like it so much!

Cheers,

:mug:

(Edwort--speaking of experimenting with recipes, have any recipes for a good roggenbier? I like your recipes--they all seem very well balanced. Something that a lot of hopheads like myself forget is so important from time to time.)

So I brewed this one up awhile ago. Gave it plenty of time to bottle condition, and I've left a few in the back of the fridge for a few weeks for a sort of post-bottling lagering, since I don't heave means of lagering my beer in the carboy. Here are my findings.

Beautifully carbonated, though it doesn't pour with much head, nor does it retain what little head it had at the start. Amazingly crystal clear. I'm blown away, really, at how clear it is. On to the taste.
I have never had a Koelsch(-style) beer before, so I have no real comparison... But I'm finding there to be an overly sweet-malty taste to it -- pretty much the same taste you get when you sip the sweet, unfermented wort prior to yeast pitching. Is it supposed to taste like this, or did something go wrong? I hit my original and final gravities, so it can't be that there is residual sugar that didn't get converted to alcohol...
Is this characteristic of this style, or did I not something right in my process? (Perhaps lagering properly?)

Brewed this today!!
I brewed Parti-Gyle where I had one mash and the first 6gal of wort made the Belgian Strong Golden Ale and the next 10gal made the Kölsch
Thats a large sparge :)

I tweaked the grain bill just a bit
added more wheat for the Kölsch
so it was
31 lbs of pils malt
5.5 lbs of wheat malt
1 lbs
Munich malt
It went real well, the BGS gravity hit at 1.085, will add the 3lbs of corn sugar in a few days.
the 10 gal of kolsch was 1.049 so both were a hair low but not really all that much considering this is my first attempt at the whole Parti-Gyle tech.
over all I really liked it. I think it adds a new lvl of fun to brew day and recipe formulation.
http://www.antiochsudsuckers.com/tom/parti-gyle.htm

So Ed, I loved this Kolsch so much, I want to use it as a template for my first "original" recipe. I haven't tweaked it that much, but I wanted to create a beer that had a little Let me know what you think!

All Grain

7# 2 row Pils Malt
2 # Flaked Corn
.5 # Wheat (for head retention only)
.25 # Honey Malt

Single infusion mash for 60 minutes at 151 degrees.

1 oz Perle 7.8% AA for 60 minutes
1/2 oz. Tettnanger 4.4% AA for 15 min.
1/2 oz. Tettnanger 4.4% AA for 5 mi.

Kolsch yeast.

Back