Because I was under 21 until 2007, store won't sell to me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Except this was a 10 minute ordeal and three people scrutinized every detail on the card, only to tell me that yes, this was me, I was indeed 25, the license was valid until 2016, and I still couldn't buy beer.

What state issues DLs valid for 10 years?

My license is good until I'm 65... Don't have to update for 36 more years!

My current license is only good for a total of 3 years 2 months and 5 days. It doesn't expire on my birthday. I won't be turning any special age next year. Lord knows what the reason is for such a weird time frame on this currently issued one.

I too suffer from 'you like 14-itis'. After turning 21 my friends and I gathered to visit one of our other friends doing a co-op in Richmond VA (we're all from Knoxville area Tennessee). We got there and decided to do a bar hop one night. One of the bars decided to refuse service to me. I can't blame them based on the fact on how young I look, and that most of us in our crew had licenses from different states (FL, TN, NC, KY). It just didn't look "right" even though it was. My friends grabbed a brew there then we moved on. We made sure I got two at the next stop to make up for lost ground.

parts of TX won't let you. Ask me how I know :mad: I ordered a beer at a bar, and gave her my Ohio license when asked for ID. She said i needed a TX issued ID. I asked, "I'm supposed to 1) know that and 2) go get a ID made for being in town for 2 days just to have a beer when I'm freakin 24 years old!? She said yes. I did not argue. It was a bar I shouldn't have been in to begin with.

Must have been a policy at the bar. TABC code permits any valid government issued ID (including military, or passport) from any state OR country. As long as the ID appears to be authentic, and they don't have any reason to believe you are under age, they won't be busted if it's a fake.. it's written right in the code.

I'm amazed how many folks go into the business of selling without actually understanding the law.

TABC code permits any valid government issued ID

Code permits it, sure... but if a bartender (bouncer, whatever) isn't sure it's legit (lack of training, suspicion, whatever), they'll refuse service to cover their arse.

A few bucks in lost revenue is worth it to not have to deal w/ TABC....

I just grew a beard. Haven't been carded at all since. :-D

Code permits it, sure... but if a bartender (bouncer, whatever) isn't sure it's legit (lack of training, suspicion, whatever), they'll refuse service to cover their arse.

A few bucks in lost revenue is worth it to not have to deal w/ TABC....

I just grew a beard. Haven't been carded at all since. :-D

Same here, well, almost. :D

BTW I'll be at the Draught House tomorrow around 7. If you show up I'll buy you a beer. They know me there, I won't be carded... :D

My local beer distributer has a scanner that you can use any type of ID to verify your age. I tried it with my military ID and it worked. Although I now look well over 21 :( and don't get carded anymore. When I was in the Navy in the 80's (1980's not 1880's), I went to buy beer in Ca.. they wouldn't take my NY driver's license. Okay, what about my Mil ID? Nope not that either. I was pretty pissed. I can die for my country, but I can't buy beer. I was 22 or 23 at the time and looked younger.
rocketman768 Most people don't know that coca leaves are common over most of South America. It's also a legit crop. In teas (Mate De Coca) and just leaves chewed with some lime juice. It gives you an energy boost (like caffeine) and isn't addictive. It helps with altitude sickness (soroche?) for those who aren't used to it. It doesn't usually get abused until it gets changed into a white powder. BTW, If you drink mate de coca, you will test positive for drugs.

Back