Because I was under 21 until 2007, store won't sell to me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Went to the grocery store to buy beer today. Suddenly, the lady notices it says "under 21 until 2007" in the corner and tells me they don't accept licenses that have the phrase "under 21..." on them. She said it is a corporate policy because they have had 3 alcohol violations at that location. She told me I could just bring my passport to buy beer (uh, no I will not do that). What the heck is going on here?

More and more, American business is being forced to operate on the FOL principal...

(Fear of Lawyers)

Go to a different store.... (and get your license updated)

BuckeyeBrewAZ said:
Just got to the DMV its been fours years! I wouldn't take your ID either

Seriously. Tons of kids use old expired licensed under age, not surprised they didn't take it.

The consequences of selling to a minor and pissing off the powers that be 'Faaarrrrr' outweigh the consequences of pissing off a few customers here and there....

I had a suspended license once, so I took my passport into a gas station to buy beer and the lady basically told me, "that aint no ID, you can't buy beer w/ that!". I tried explaining to her that is was in fact an ID and that I should be able to buy beer with it, and she told me to leave or she was calling the cops.

Crazy stuff dude.

Seriously. Tons of kids use old expired licensed under age, not surprised they didn't take it.

Except this was a 10 minute ordeal and three people scrutinized every detail on the card, only to tell me that yes, this was me, I was indeed 25, the license was valid until 2016, and I still couldn't buy beer.

Did they change the license laws in IL recently? When I turned 21, I had to get a new license and had no choice because the old one expired.

I also have a state issued ID for stupid reasons like this in case they happen.

a 9+ year license? That's insane. This does suck, but I'd say you're overdue for a new license so now is a good time, and reason, to get one.

Wow, WTF is up with her? Can't she count or something? It says plain as day, under 21 UNTIL 2007! Not after 2007! I don't see what the heck is so hard with this.

IrregularPulse said:
a 9+ year license? That's insane. This does suck, but I'd say you're overdue for a new license so now is a good time, and reason, to get one.

That's not all that odd. IL usually sends you a sticker to put on the back of the license to extend the expiration date. I'm guessing it's to cut down on operating costs of the DMV.

It's not really too surprising these days. Dmv's do some strange things, especially if you renew by mail. I had the same picture on my DL for over 15 years, they NEVER had me do a new picture. I wish I could scan it here, to show you how young and skinny I was then, compared to totally grey and heavier. I don't look anything like me now. Yet they never bothered to have me pose for a new picture, even renewing in the DMV, and them looking at and cutting the corner of the old one and attaching the temp paper on it to use until they mailed out the renewed one. It wasn't until 3 years ago that I got one of the Michigan enhanced DL to cross borders did they make me pose for a new pic.

Of course rocketman768, that means that since your ID says you are under 21 you can't post here til your DL says you turned 21.... :fro:

Revvy said:
Of course rocketman768, that means that since your ID says you are under 21 you can't post here til your DL says you turned 21.... :fro:

Do you happen to work at Jewel?

My license is NV and they update info via stickers. The front expiration date is long past; the sticker says it's good for a couple more years. The license is from NV with an NV address on the front, but a CA address on the sticker. Plus the picture is 7 years old.

Buying beer is a pain with my state ID. I had one checker hand it back asking for a CA ID, since they don't accept out of state IDs. Obviously I don't have one, so I handed her a military ID and she handed it back saying they don't accept those either. The manager was more reasonable.

Wow... I wonder if this happens often in Arizona, where your license is good until you are SIXTY!

And to ndsgr... sticker updates in NV? Never seen it before

Arbitrary rules are arbitrary. My wife was out with a co-worker who was visiting from Japan, and the store wouldn't let him buy beer using his passport which clearly had his photo and birthdate printed on it. The clerk claimed it was store policy not to accept any ID which did not list height and weight on it.

So, they went across the street and bought beer there instead. I say it was just as well as they were in the bay area and despite my wife's urging to buy any of the delicious local craft brews available, the guy insisted on BMC.

It's not really too surprising these days. Dmv's do some strange things, especially if you renew by mail. I had the same picture on my DL for over 15 years, they NEVER had me do a new picture. I wish I could scan it here, to show you how young and skinny I was then, compared to totally grey and heavier. I don't look anything like me now. Yet they never bothered to have me pose for a new picture, even renewing in the DMV, and them looking at and cutting the corner of the old one and attaching the temp paper on it to use until they mailed out the renewed one. It wasn't until 3 years ago that I got one of the Michigan enhanced DL to cross borders did they make me pose for a new pic.

Yeah, when I renewed my license, not only did I not need to get a new picture, the renewal form told me I was not *required* to get a new picture taken until I was like 55.

The picture on my license was taken when I was ~25 or so... so that'll still be legal when I'm a member of AARP?

Sympathies to the OP, whether he should have a newer license or not... cripes, cashier should have used a LITTLE logic.

I had a suspended license once, so I took my passport into a gas station to buy beer and the lady basically told me, "that aint no ID, you can't buy beer w/ that!". I tried explaining to her that is was in fact an ID and that I should be able to buy beer with it, and she told me to leave or she was calling the cops.

Crazy stuff dude.

I had something really simliar happen a few months ago. My wife and I stopped at a liquor store and I ran in real quick to get a six pack and a bottle of vodka. They refused to let me buy it because my license expired about a month before. I said ok, you need to see an ID not a valid drivers license. The fact that I can't legally drive does not mean I am not old enough to purchase beer. I argued with them for 5-10 and they still refused. i said fine, I will just have my wife come in and buy it. They said she couldn't even do that because they know it is for someone underage. :confused: I said I am not ****ing underage and haven't been in years just like my ID shows. There response was "well same thing".

At that point I was furious and knocked the bottle off the counter and it broke and had a few choice words for them. Then they tried to make me pay for the vodka that broke. I just laughed at them and said "oh nooooo apparently that is illegal for me to do" and left.

That ruined my night because I was stuck drinking coors light all night.

AZ issues 50 year licenses.
in 2006 SWMBO and I got our Az licenses when we moved from CA. SWMBO expires some time is 2030 mine on the other hand expires 2011. could be that I got a Class B license and hers was a regular class C.

-=Jason=-

The clerk claimed it was store policy not to accept any ID which did not list height and weight on it.

I don't have any identification that includes weight... Texas IDs don't, neither does my passport

I had something really simliar happen a few months ago. My wife and I stopped at a liquor store and I ran in real quick to get a six pack and a bottle of vodka. They refused to let me buy it because my license expired about a month before. I said ok, you need to see an ID not a valid drivers license. The fact that I can't legally drive does not mean I am not old enough to purchase beer. I argued with them for 5-10 and they still refused. i said fine, I will just have my wife come in and buy it. They said she couldn't even do that because they know it is for someone underage. :confused: I said I am not ****ing underage and haven't been in years just like my ID shows. There response was "well same thing".

At that point I was furious and knocked the bottle off the counter and it broke and had a few choice words for them. Then they tried to make me pay for the vodka that broke. I just laughed at them and said "oh nooooo apparently that is illegal for me to do" and left.

That ruined my night because I was stuck drinking coors light all night.

wow. if you broke something in my store and left i would have called the cops.

Quick, somebody send me two snail mail letters.

I just tried to switch licenses from SC to IL and the DMV (or Satan's anus) told my that my lease was not enough...I also have to have 2 pieces of mail. It's a little hard when all your bills come electronically and all the junk mail says "current resident."

a lease is not enough evidence to be a resident in another state thats a bunch of Chit if you ask me.

-=Jason=-

I just tried to switch licenses from SC to IL and the DMV (or Satan's anus) told my that my lease was not enough...I also have to have 2 pieces of mail. It's a little hard when all your bills come electronically and all the junk mail says "current resident."

Per the Illinois DMV site, a lease agreement works. See here. DMV workers sometimes need help reading these things. :p

And nowhere does it require 2 pieces of mail.

You can print out your bills. I ran into the same issue a few years ago.

The better thing to do is get a bank statement with your current address on it, even if it's electronic.

Nevertheless, it is ridiculous because they invariably have every state has a law that says you must switch your license within XYZ amount of time, but it's nearly impossible to get the necessary documentation within that time.

Per the Illinois DMV site, a lease agreement works. See here. DMV workers sometimes need help reading these things. :p

And nowhere does it require 2 pieces of mail.

I know. She showed me this document before she sent me away. The only reason I didn't argue is because it looks like I need 2 documents from group D (residency), of which a lease is 1.

Sweet jebus...and I suppose your passport is NOT A GOOD ENOUGH id even for the place that issues them??

*slams head against the wall* Sometimes this planet sucks....

But now we know where all the infected beers come from the Illinois Department of Motor Vehicles. :)

You don't subscribe to any magazines that would have your addy on it?

I know. She showed me this document before she sent me away. The only reason I didn't argue is because it looks like I need 2 documents from group D (residency), of which a lease is 1.

So do like the other poster said and print a pdf copy of one of your utility bills. Then tri-fold it, like you received it in the mail, and bring it in with your lease. That's worked for me in the past. Nobody saves the envelopes from the mailings.

So do like the other poster said and print a pdf copy of one of your utility bills. Then tri-fold it, like you received it in the mail, and bring it in with your lease. That's worked for me in the past. Nobody saves the envelopes from the mailings.

Done. Printed and tri-folded a university invoice. Also have W-2 as backup.

Back