Quantcast

BE-256 dry Fermetis 'abbey'; has anyone used it , results?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dmtaylor

Lord Idiot the Lazy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have definitely gotten banana and bubblegum from this yeast. But no clove. It's not a hef exactly as it also has a certain pineapple thing going on. Interesting yeast worth trying some more. And a high attenuator. I'll probably mash hot around 156-157 F next time to try to keep a little more body and keep the ABV down to non-astronomical levels.

frankvw

Reaction score
I have to use this yeast to brew a beer for my club, was thinking about trying to make something to the tune of a chocolate banana quad. Would want to maximize the banana. Suggestions from your experience?
Pitch moderately and ferment not too cold and you'll have more banana than you know what to do with. :) Depending on gravity, beware of "hot" alcohols, though, so don't overdo it on the temperature. But yeah, it should work well with chocolate(ish) flavours.

frankvw

Reaction score
The clove is missing as it is POF- : https://fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Beer-yeast-chart.pdf - this is from 2019, but should still apply.
It does still apply. It's POF- and it always will be. Yes, it' s highly attenuating, high in isoamyl aetate esters and with a fairly high alcohol tolerance. But that's it. Trust Fermentis to position a POF- yeast as an abbey strain! :no: But then, they used to market S-33 (i.e. basic EDME) as a Belgian yeast, too. Go figure.

Update: Not all POF+ yeasts produce clove flavours. While 4-Vinyl Guaiacol (clove) is the most common product of POF+ yeasts, typical Belgian strains also produce a wide range of other desirable spicy phenols ranging from cinnamon to pepper.

Last edited:

brewman !

Reaction score
and therefore lacks the typical spicy phenols that are so characteristic (not to say vital) for the style.
Are you mixing up Belgium Abbey Ale yeasts (designed for high gravity) with Belgium Saison yeasts ? Saisons have the spicy character. High gravity Abbey Ales are supposed to have the stone fruit character.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see why one would want to use an Abbey Ale yeast in a regular gravity beer, especially if it is not a dark beer.

I'm thinking of using Safale BE256 in a high gravity Belgium fermentation. Can anyone recommend a better dry high gravity Belgium yeast ?

brewman !

Reaction score
"I saved one bottle for nearly two years and that was amazing. Not boozy at all and heavy dark fruit and caramel." <--- This is what I am looking for. You can't expect a high gravity Belgium to reach peak flavor in a few months.

"I'm getting a lot of dark fruit and typical belgian dark strong flavors" <-- perfect.

Last edited:

dmtaylor

Lord Idiot the Lazy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
"I saved one bottle for nearly two years and that was amazing. Not boozy at all and heavy dark fruit and caramel." <--- This is what I am looking for. You can't expect a high gravity Belgium to reach peak flavor in a few months.

"I'm getting a lot of dark fruit and typical belgian dark strong flavors" <-- perfect.
If that's what you want, then maybe skip Fermentis options, and try instead Lallemand Abbaye or Mangrove Jack M29. Those should give you full Belgian flavors including raisin, banana, and a bit of spice, with attenuation topping out closer to 85% so it's NOT so much like a saison or super-diastaticus.

frankvw

Reaction score
Are you mixing up Belgium Abbey Ale yeasts (designed for high gravity) with Belgium Saison yeasts ? Saisons have the spicy character. High gravity Abbey Ales are supposed to have the stone fruit character.
Saisons have a spicy character, yes, but they are not the only style characterized by the typical Belgian spicy phenols. Check the BJCP style guide, categories 24-26. All beers listed there include spicy phenols in the aroma description. Yes, balanced with tons of fruity esters, but they are an essential element of the style. BE-256 lacks that, though. It has some of the Belgian characteristics (high ester levels, high alcohol tolerance) but is is severely handicapped as a yeast for Belgian styles due to the fact that it's POF-. While one can brew great beers with it that are in some aspects (body, ester profile, alcohol level, attenuation) reminiscent of Belgian ales, that's about it.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see why one would want to use an Abbey Ale yeast in a regular gravity beer, especially if it is not a dark beer.
Some simply like the flavor profile, I suppose.

I'm thinking of using Safale BE256 in a high gravity Belgium fermentation. Can anyone recommend a better dry high gravity Belgium yeast ?
Lallemand Abbaye.

// FvW

BrewSavage

Reaction score
I've used this yeast three times:
An oaky breakfast stout;
An abbey style dubbel;
An abbey style tripel,

I was happy with the flavors of all three. The stout and the tripel became quite foamy over time, the dubbel remains dead flat 10 months in the bottle.