BDSA Simplicity vs. Complexity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simplicty vs. complexity

• Simple malt bill + dark candi sugars for color and dark fruit/caramel flavor

• Complex malt bill of specialty malts to achieve depth/flavor

Results are only viewable after voting.

ArkotRamathorn

Reaction score
So I have been spending most of the day reviewing the recipe database for Belgian dark strong ales and have noticed a mix of philosophies. Either they are very simple, 80-90% Pilsner malt, with 10-20% very dark candi sugar 80-275L, or they are a bunch of Pilsner with a mix of other specialty malts and candy sugars to achieve the right color/gravity.

I can see the pull of simplicity being attractive. On the other hand building complexity with a mix of specialty malts I can see as being just as effective. I want to dial in my Belgian dark strong ale recipe, previously using a mix of special B, aromatic, and biscuit malt hoping to build that complex and delicious brew called a Belgian dark strong ale. My latest incarnation was good, but the dark fruit I was expecting didn't shine as much as I wanted it to. So what do you prefer, simplicity using dark candi sugar, or complex malt bills to build flavor and depth?

I use: (1.095, 32 ibu) 65% pils (weyermann floor malted), 15% aromatic or dark munich, and 20% D180 candi sugar. Mash at 146. Fermented with 3787. Age 1 year. It is excellent and very complex, yet drinkable. I think it is in the style of trappist examples.

I use: (1.095, 32 ibu) 65% pils (weyermann floor malted), 15% aromatic or dark munich, and 20% D180 candi sugar. Mash at 146. Fermented with 3787. Age 1 year. It is excellent and very complex, yet drinkable. I think it is in the style of trappist examples.

How would you describe the 3787 compared to 1388 or 1762? I have a pack in the fridge of 1762 that is destined for my first beer made with a starter, and was planning 3.5-4 gallon BDSA at around 1.090-95. Does the 3787 give more of banana, or is it a mix of stone fruit esters? Previous attempts include T-58 and 1388 and both came off as very peppery phenols (no clove, spicy pepper bombs).

Most recent BDSA had 1lb of special B, and 4oz each of biscuit/aromatic malt and the sugars were all clear candi syrup near the end of high krausen. I got that nice crisp dry body and bare hints of banana but tons of pepper phenols(T-58 yeast). Thankfully I didnt get those hot alcohols that make it undrinkable for 8+ months, but missing that big dark fruit and (personal preference) missing that banana.

So now I am thinking, lets go even simpler.

80%Belgian Pilsner
11% 160L Belgian Candi Syrup
9% Clear Belgian Candi Syrup (near end of high krausen)
*I have to adjust mash PH with acidulated malt

Or lower the clear candi sugar to like 5% and bump up the 160L to 15%?

Id go 15% on the dark candy. Ive found the colors to not be as dark as the label. But traditional bdsa's aren't all that dark. mine with 20% d180 and 15% 10L munich is ruby in color. Around 25 srm if I had to guess, probably a tad dark for style.

Clear belgian candy syrup, doesn't add much flavor, you could likely use sucrose without any effect on the flavor.

3787 it depends a lot on the fermentation temp. It is a complex yeast. I get banana and peppery spice in the mid 60s. Some plum. Its really complex. Too hot its a fruit bomb for me.

1762 or whatever the rochefort yeast is, is also a good yeast, its a lot cleaner and earthier. I used it the previous year. Some people have problems with the yeast, but I haven't had any issues.

I don't like the chimay yeast, too fruity/bubblegum for my tastes. I think thats 1214.

I haven't used 1388 (duvel?) in years. I can't say.

Ah I should say I make my own candi sugars, I should've just typed it as "table sugar" in my post. I think I will true simple route of just base malt(+acidulated malt) and dark candi sugars.

Latest posts

Back