Belgian Brune Recipe Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtom1991

Reaction score
This will be my first All Grain brew after numerous Partial Mash's. I recently purchased a HopCat brewing system which i have done 2x partial mash brews on and feel now is the time to go All Grain.

Was looking for some recipe advice and fine tuning.

Here is my broad plan for a grain bill

Base Malt:
Pilsner (60-65%)
Munich II (20-25%)

Specialty Malt:
CaraBelge
Special W

Belgian Candi Sugar Dark

What i am unsure on is what sort of proportions to use the specialties in i was thinking around 5% each

Hops wise i have alot left over from previous brews which from my research should be suitable.
I have Saaz, Tettnang and Hallertau so i was just going to use some of these up rather than order more.

Yeast im considering using both WLP540 and WLP550 as the batch will be split across two carboys.

The plan so far:

40L Batch
1.066 SG
7.2% abv

8.0kg Pilsen (67.5%)
1.5kg Munich II (12.7%)
1.0kg Cara20 (8.4%)
0.5kg Aromatic (4.2%)
0.35kg Special B (3%)

32g Tettnang (60mins)
32g Tettnang (30mins)

0.5kg Candi Sugar Amber (10mins)

Ferm Vessel 1 - 20L Abbey IV Ale (WLP 540)
Ferm Vessel 2 - 20L Belgian Ale (WLP 550)

Last edited:
Certainly plenty of directions you could take to tweak this based on what you want in the final product. The recipe will produce something well within the style. Often these recipes end up way too busy but this is about the most you should do without making the beer too muddy.

Often these recipes end up way too busy but this is about the most you should do without making the beer too muddy.

That is my concern, i am not sure if i should dial some of it back slightly.

Wanted something malty, roasted and with the dark fruits there but not too overpowering. The Special B addition is my main concern as its described as "Intense" wasn't sure what amount would be the right balance having not used it before.

Back