BCS Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, I'm trying to put together an all-electric build. I was first inspired by Kal's website and although I don't want a clone, I'm looking to go in a very similar direction. As I look around though, I see all this talk about BCS-460/462 integrated builds and I see these impressive interfaces, but I'm still wasn't exactly sure what the "BCS" was. Since, I've found www.embeddedcc.com and read about their products. My real question is, do these controllers replace PIDs? Or work with them? It seems like it replaces them and all temperature control is done through their web based interface. Very curious because I'm ready to start purchasing parts for my control panel. Depending on what exactly this BCS system takes care of, or controls, will impact how all of that is laid out obviously.

I appreciate your help on this, and I promise, there will be more to come, ha.

No PID's necessary with the BCS. You attach temp probes to the BCS and based on the temp inputs and parameters you establish, it will turn outputs on and off. It's like PID's on steroids. You don't really need a control panel with the BCS (other than maybe an enclosure to house the BCS and SSR's). Some people add manual switches to turn things on and off manually, but it isn't necessary at all.

I like that question. My question is as I working towards eHERMS myself I haven't seen many pictures of control panels with the BCS setup. I assumed being electric you still need to control the SSRs and connectors for the elements. Which typically means there's some type of enclosure.

I was just thinking about the exact same questions that you posted. I really like Kal's design and was going to go that route. Then I came across the BCS system and thought that had some nice features. I really want to get an all electric setup started but now I'm stuck again. This post has some good information: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/bcs-vs-pids-280003/

I wish there was a concise list of the pros and cons of both. It doesn't help that I'm completely indecisive!

I used a lot of Kal's build as a guide, but wanted web based control as I need to be able to do control from the road as I travel a lot. The BCS is sweeeeet!

The first photo is the inside of the BCS control box, the second is the outside.

The third is the BK next to the chillus convolutus with temp probes installed on the cooling water inlet and coooled wort outlet.

The fourth is a screen shot of the BCS controlling my ferm chamber as it ramps a lager from 65 to 33 deg very nicely.

Bottom line...it takes some work to make it happen but it works, and works very very well. Basically, it gives you 4 or 8 PID loops, and web based control.

box.jpg

outside.jpg

DSC_0826.jpg

ferment.jpg

Back