bcs monitor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walte1fr

Reaction score
I'm starting to piece together parts for a bcs controlled 15 gallon kettle ebrew herms system. I'm thinking about getting either a tablet or touch screen monitor with a computer hidden somewhere to connect to the bcs.
Does anyone have any experience or pictures of their monitors for their bcs? I know you can control it with a phone or ipad or computer. Anything that connects to the internet. But I'd like a dedicated screen mounted somewhere by my setup.
Pictures or parts list anyone?
Thanks

I know this may not be what you're looking for but there are displays available. http://wiki.embeddedcc.com/index.php/External_7-Segment_Display I think you want to see whats on the ipad/laptop on a monitor mounted. I think your best bet may be to get something like http://www.bestbuy.com/site/passport-1912nm-18-5-lcd-internet-monitor-black/1306374635.p?id=mp1306374635&skuId=1306374635&st=categoryid$abcat0501005&cp=1&lp=1 and hook it to the web and just point it to the same site. Its something similar to the route I'm going tbh and if you are running ethernet anyway, a switch next to the bcs should be an easy solve.

Thanks for the link Waffle, That monitor from HP looks like a good solution for people like me that just can't seem to get my BCS to be reliably wireless.

Thanks for the link Waffle, That monitor from HP looks like a good solution for people like me that just can't seem to get my BCS to be reliably wireless.

Theres a couple other options too. The one below it on Best Buy is about 150 more, but is touchscreen so there is no keyboard or mouse. Might be easier. I have the components to build a mini-pc to mount so that's the way I'm going.

Hey thanks. I've never seen an internet monitor like that. Does It just connect to the internet via eithernet and only does a browser basically?

That's actually a good price too. I have a laptop and ipa. I may have an old desktop laying around also but for a monitor and keyboard that monitor may be cheaper

Hey thanks. I've never seen an internet monitor like that. Does It just connect to the internet via eithernet and only does a browser basically?

Yeah, its whats geared towards hotels for internet browsing. Its an inexpensive way to have a good sized monitor and web browser. The only downside, no wireless, but if you're going to hardwire the bcs, its definitely a good way to go.

I can do either or. Has anyone tried contacting the people at bcs? I sent them an email and no response in a week. Hope this doesn't show there effort of support.

I can do either or. Has anyone tried contacting the people at bcs? I sent them an email and no response in a week. Hope this doesn't show there effort of support.

Post your question on the BCS forum, you should get the answer you are looking for quickly. In my experience the BCS support has been very good, and most questions can be answered by searching their forum.

I'm building out an electric HERMS BCS system... I plan on using the default website for time being, but will be writing a Windows 8 "modern" app that works on PC, tablet and phone. Mostly for monitoring/alarms...some control. Plan is to have a tablet mounted on the wall by the power panel, but also be able to have a simple remote monitor, and be able to "show it off" on a TV/tablet in my bar too. Timeframe is Jan...let me know if you have a Win8 computer interested in testing.

Actually I don't but one of my friends does. That sounds pretty awesome. I'm slowly acquiring parts. Trying to get everything used. Looks like the fittings are going to have to be new.

I'm building out an electric HERMS BCS system... I plan on using the default website for time being, but will be writing a Windows 8 "modern" app that works on PC, tablet and phone. Mostly for monitoring/alarms...some control. Plan is to have a tablet mounted on the wall by the power panel, but also be able to have a simple remote monitor, and be able to "show it off" on a TV/tablet in my bar too. Timeframe is Jan...let me know if you have a Win8 computer interested in testing.

I have a desktop that has win 8 and I plan on installing it on the mini-pc that is going to be my brew-pc. I'd be willing to take it for a spin.

Here's my solution for the issue. I use a BeagleBone Black as the "PC" that drives my monitor. The BCS is built into the control panel. The BBB and BCS are both wired into a wifi router so I can get my laptop onto the network easily.

558581_10202139359548716_508770657_n.jpg

wow thats awesome. is that beagle bone basically a computer in itself or is it just a motherboard that i would have to build more around it.

I'm glad this was brought up. I was at best buy looking at the touchscreen monitor. I was looking at connecting it to a beagle black. I'm interested in what's been done.

The BBB is basically a self contained mini computer like the Raspberry PI, or several other solutions.

So far it works great. The only real hitch is that it doesn't have a whole lot of memory so I need to do any BCS data logging functions on my laptop as it'll crash chromium on the BBB.

The BBB is basically a self contained mini computer like the Raspberry PI, or several other solutions.

So far it works great. The only real hitch is that it doesn't have a whole lot of memory so I need to do any BCS data logging functions on my laptop as it'll crash chromium on the BBB.

Could you throw a hdd on to the BBB and use that for memory? I have so many old hdds sitting around and a USB holder for them, this might be a good option for me.

I'm glad this is starting discussions before I set mine up. The other big debate is I would like to start a microbrewery (10bbl system) in the next year. I'm not sure if this is pointless to even have or if it would be good to do the seasonal or sample batches on this setup and the regular ales and lagers on the large setup. It's a tough decision but for now I'm still going forward.

Under the tree was a BBB (Beaglebone Black). Now I'm thinking it needs to be on my system. I am going to put a TV in the brew area. There is a hdmi output on the BBB. I am thinking that would work great for a monitor. 32" of this is the current mash temp could be pretty impressive. Especially if your watching brew day from 1000 miles away. :D

Waffle - Memory question. I have a ton of memory hanging out around the house also. The BBB has a micro SD card which can accept up to 128gb card. Have you thought about using the SD slot?

Under the tree was a BBB (Beaglebone Black). Now I'm thinking it needs to be on my system. I am going to put a TV in the brew area. There is a hdmi output on the BBB. I am thinking that would work great for a monitor. 32" of this is the current mash temp could be pretty impressive. Especially if your watching brew day from 1000 miles away. :D

Waffle - Memory question. I have a ton of memory hanging out around the house also. The BBB has a micro SD card which can accept up to 128gb card. Have you thought about using the SD slot?

Funny you should ask. I have an extra 32 gig card sitting waiting for my backordered BBB to get here. That is DEFINITELY going to be my go-to route. Just remember the BBB requires a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable and its not a straight HDMI to HDMI cable. I'm not sure what else I'll put on the BBB, but its going to be wired directly to the same switch as the BCS so it'll be my primary monitor.

Latest posts

Back