BCS 462 control of a Propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakbarn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a gas valve with a standing pilot light that I want to control with the BCS 462.

Right now, we control the Temperature manually in out HLT. I want to be able to set a temperature and have that temperature held. I am not sure which "flavor" of Out control to use but it seems that Hysteresis Controlled is the way to go for propane.

Any Propane brewers out there using the BCS?

On the Other Hand, what about fermentation? Hysteresis Controlled or PID?

Also what Hysteresis do you use? 2 degrees?

I have read the Wiki until the letters melted on the screen, and it is of little help. I do not want to become a PLC brain, I just want to make the BCS my assistant.

I am looking for what works.

I have a gas valve with a standing pilot light that I want to control with the BCS 462.

Right now, we control the Temperature manually in out HLT. I want to be able to set a temperature and have that temperature held. I am not sure which "flavor" of Out control to use but it seems that Hysteresis Controlled is the way to go for propane.

Any Propane brewers out there using the BCS?

On the Other Hand, what about fermentation? Hysteresis Controlled or PID?

Also what Hysteresis do you use? 2 degrees?

I have read the Wiki until the letters melted on the screen, and it is of little help. I do not want to become a PLC brain, I just want to make the BCS my assistant.

I am looking for what works.
You would want to use hysteresis for both. I use 1 degree. PID would not work well in either instance because the rapid on/off cycle of the SSR to effectively control the level of power output wouldn't work well with solenoids or compressors.

Thanks. I will try that. I am in the process of wiring the BCS right now and setting up some external Temperature displays (PID Display Modules from OCCS). Hopefully I will be able to do a test run in a couple of weeks.

Latest posts

Back