Bay Area (SF) Beer Week Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two years ago it wouldn't have been worth going to if it were free. I've heard that it was better last year, but I've gotten really skeptical of those huge beerfests.

Huh? Two years ago was awesome, except for the bathroom situation. It gets better every year - one of the best events during Beer Week, IMO. There may be better beer at other events, but they're all more of a cluster**** than the Gala. As long as you don't stupidly rush the Younger line, there's very little wait everywhere else.

I have gone the last 3 years, and every year it has gotten a little worse in terms of ratio of attendees to number of brewers. The ones a few years back had no waiting for any beer except for Younger. If I was going to go this year, I'd forgo Younger and rush to all the empty booths while everyone waits in line!

Not sure this is true - the coordinators said they haven't increased the number of tickets since the new venue, and I'm pretty sure the number of breweries is not decreasing.

It's the best large-scale event outside of FW.

Speaking of which, anyone have any extra VIP tickets? I need 1 more.

Huh? Two years ago was awesome, except for the bathroom situation. It gets better every year - one of the best events during Beer Week, IMO. There may be better beer at other events, but they're all more of a cluster**** than the Gala. As long as you don't stupidly rush the Younger line, there's very little wait everywhere else.
The bathroom situation was such a cluster**** that it made everything else pretty horrible. But, regardless, the beer wasn't all that impressive anywhere, and there were enough lines at random places to make it all annoying (and that's even with 1/3 of the people being in line for the bathrooms at any given time).

But, regardless, the beer wasn't all that impressive anywhere

Yeah, this is where we're gonna disagree. Just about every Northern California brewery, most of whom bring one-offs, seasonals or special beers. Tons of double and triple IPAs, BA beers, sours, etc. Nothing else compares during beer week.

The bathroom situation was such a cluster**** that it made everything else pretty horrible. But, regardless, the beer wasn't all that impressive anywhere, and there were enough lines at random places to make it all annoying (and that's even with 1/3 of the people being in line for the bathrooms at any given time).
God I remember waiting 45 minutes (no exaggeration) in line for the bathroom two years ago. Last year was like a 2 minute wait.

Yeah, this is where we're gonna disagree. Just about every Northern California brewery, most of whom bring one-offs, seasonals or special beers. Tons of double and triple IPAs, BA beers, sours, etc. Nothing else compares during beer week.
The fact that they're one-offs doesn't mean that they're good. That's my problem with the event, nothing that I had was actually worth the effort to get there. If you're really like going to a giant beerfest with a few thousand other people to scarf down samples of beer that are, at best, moderately better than what you'd get in literally any bar but with a "BEER WEEK ONLY OMG GUISE!!!!" tag on them, then knock yourself out. I would rather be at home drinking beer that I know will be good.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm planning on flying in one of the two weekends during SF Beer Week. Which weekend would you guys recommend coming in on? I'm also planning on hitting RR for some PtY and thinking the 7th is going to be insane, right?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm planning on flying in one of the two weekends during SF Beer Week. Which weekend would you guys recommend coming in on? I'm also planning on hitting RR for some PtY and thinking the 7th is going to be insane, right?

Both weekends should be quite busy. As far as events, I would plan to come either the first weekend and extend my time if possible into Monday and/or Tuesday or the following weekend and come in Thursday and/or Friday. There are tons of great events mid week.

Both weekends should be quite busy. As far as events, I would plan to come either the first weekend and extend my time if possible into Monday and/or Tuesday or the following weekend and come in Thursday and/or Friday. There are tons of great events mid week.

Plan is to fly in on a Thursday night and out on a Sunday. Can't afford anymore days off of work. When are Toronado's events? Apparently they hate the internet.

Plan is to fly in on a Thursday night and out on a Sunday. Can't afford anymore days off of work. When are Toronado's events? Apparently they hate the internet.

You will be sufficiently hammered and will have your choice of events.

They should be posting them very soon. Usually they have a print out of the week's events right before than update their Geocities site shortly after, but it is pretty standard with the Barleywine Fest, Russian River Night, and other random brewery nights

http://www.toronado.com/events.htm

The fact that they're one-offs doesn't mean that they're good. That's my problem with the event, nothing that I had was actually worth the effort to get there. If you're really like going to a giant beerfest with a few thousand other people to scarf down samples of beer that are, at best, moderately better than what you'd get in literally any bar but with a "BEER WEEK ONLY OMG GUISE!!!!" tag on them, then knock yourself out. I would rather be at home drinking beer that I know will be good.
This. Last year was pretty pathetic IMO, total waste of money. Most Nor Cal brewers just dont have a clue though so I wasn't surprised.

Almanac Farmer's Reserve 1&2/Barrel Noir, Bear Republic Old Baba, Apex and Tartare, Sierra's BA Narwal, BA Bigfoot and Two Headed Ruthless (among others), Firestone DBA and Sucaba, RR Younger and Sanctification, Berryessa's Double Tap, Drake's BA Draconic, Tree Beer and Hopocalypse (white and black), Lagunitas Oyster Stout, North Coast Grand Cru and BA Old Raspy, and a ton of others I can't even remember.

And nothing was worth the effort? Hmm...FWI has ****ing ruined you people.

Almanac Farmer's Reserve 1&2/Barrel Noir, Bear Republic Old Baba, Apex and Tartare, Sierra's BA Narwal, BA Bigfoot and Two Headed Ruthless (among others), Firestone DBA and Sucaba, RR Younger and Sanctification, Berryessa's Double Tap, Drake's BA Draconic, Tree Beer and Hopocalypse (white and black), Lagunitas Oyster Stout, North Coast Grand Cru and BA Old Raspy, and a ton of others I can't even remember.

Some of those were on at FWI, I'm sure. And I've seen a lot of them on at non-SFBW things too. Not to pooh-pooh the taplist (though I crossed out things I don't care about), but SFBW really needs to step up its game to make the crowds worth it.

I can't WAIT till Hopocalypse comes out. Living 10 mins from Drake's becomes worth it.

Some of those were on at FWI, I'm sure. And I've seen a lot of them on at non-SFBW things too. Not to pooh-pooh the taplist (though I crossed out things I don't care about), but SFBW really needs to step up its game to make the crowds worth it.

I can't WAIT till Hopocalypse comes out. Living 10 mins from Drake's becomes worth it.
But only Hopocalypse White! Black label is horrible.

Almost all of those I can trivially get in bottles when they're out. It's not worth it for tartare.

Almost all of those I can trivially get in bottles when they're out. It's not worth it for tartare.

21 beers listed, only 11 are/were released in bottles. Not to mention all the others from smaller guys I didn't list.

Not exactly "almost all", amirite?

If you're like Arbitrator and simply don't like the beer served, that's fine, but the event shouldn't be misrepresented. Most things served are not available in bottles or on draft normally.

Which events do you prefer? The DIPA fest is good in theory, but I have not met a person with a palate capable of handling that much hoppy beer all at once. I love hoppy beer, but after 5 or 6 it's damn tough to pick out nuances. -TION night? Awesome, if you don't mind the worst crowds seen by Toronado all year. Jesus that place is a long-line ********. Apply similar ideas to the Barleywine fest. I would still go to these events, but to say that the Gala has longer waits or is more crowded would be a lie.

To me, the opening gala is a great bang-for-the-buck. It won't showcase the absolute best beers of the week, but it will have some of the best, and across many styles and breweries. And it's unlimited beer, which is nice for people like me who can drink. And while there are hordes of people, the venue can handle it and it's a great time.

I mean any of us can sit at home and drink world class beer, but that's not the point, is it?

Hope to see some of you guys out there again. Cheers.

21 beers listed, only 11 are/were released in bottles. Not to mention all the others from smaller guys I didn't list.

Not exactly "almost all", amirite?

If you're like Arbitrator and simply don't like the beer served, that's fine, but the event shouldn't be misrepresented. Most things served are not available in bottles or on draft normally.

Which events do you prefer? The DIPA fest is good in theory, but I have not met a person with a palate capable of handling that much hoppy beer all at once. I love hoppy beer, but after 5 or 6 it's damn tough to pick out nuances. -TION night? Awesome, if you don't mind the worst crowds seen by Toronado all year. Jesus that place is a long-line ********. Apply similar ideas to the Barleywine fest. I would still go to these events, but to say that the Gala has longer waits or is more crowded would be a lie.

To me, the opening gala is a great bang-for-the-buck. It won't showcase the absolute best beers of the week, but it will have some of the best, and across many styles and breweries. And it's unlimited beer, which is nice for people like me who can drink. And while there are hordes of people, the venue can handle it and it's a great time.

I mean any of us can sit at home and drink world class beer, but that's not the point, is it?

Hope to see some of you guys out there again. Cheers.
Fine, I can either get them in bottles or have them on tap in places where it's not stupid crowded. Seriously, you listed literally nothing that I haven't seen elsewhere. That's my problem with the event, there's nothing there that's actually special, and most of that **** isn't even special for beer week. Actually, is any of it? I'm not familiar with Barryessa, maybe theirs were. And if by "normally" you mean "anywhere, any time", then fine, but that's an inane definition. I don't think any of the beers you listed were hard to find (if they were one-offs) or are hard to find (for the stuff that's continuously made).

Anyway, the events that I want to go to are things like Sau & Brau, where:

1) It's not that crowded.
2) I get something that I can't otherwise get (in that case, a huge pig roast).

I find the events you listed to be pretty funny, do you think that beer week only consists of the shitshows? I'll probably end up going to -tion night and the DIPA festival, but in both cases it's because I have traditions with friends involving them. They're both pretty questionably "worth it" from an objective perspective.

Same recipe as usual, or sumpin new?

I've not had the "good" SF Fusion since they brewed it a couple years back - whatever they had last year was not the same, and not nearly as good. Their fusion series is definitely hit-or-miss.

I've not had the "good" SF Fusion since they brewed it a couple years back - whatever they had last year was not the same, and not nearly as good. Their fusion series is definitely hit-or-miss.
I'd say the SF Fusion has been more consistent than the Waldo's Ale. They do a whole lot of styles under the Fusion line. This one is definitely in line with a DIPA. Less hazy than last year's version.

Who else is going to the Lazy Bear dinner with Almanac? I thought it might be fun to do a little side TB beer pairing, we come up with alternate pairings for everything (or some things, it's a lot of food/beer already) and then bring the stuff ourselves. Could be fun! If you're interested let me know, we can set up a conversation and plan it out.

I might be attending this Saturday's Evil Twin thing @ Ale Arsenal. I will definitely be attending the sausage fest there on Monday, Feb 10th. Hope to see some of you.

I'm probably skipping the rest of the events.

But only Hopocalypse White! Black label is horrible.

This turned out to be prophetic. What a waste of time standing in line for a pour of Black, and I showed up 4 hours after opening, too. White is pretty tasty, but it has a very strong green papaya thing going on.

Who else is going to the Lazy Bear dinner with Almanac? I thought it might be fun to do a little side TB beer pairing, we come up with alternate pairings for everything (or some things, it's a lot of food/beer already) and then bring the stuff ourselves. Could be fun! If you're interested let me know, we can set up a conversation and plan it out.
I'm going. Definitely more in the "some things" alt-pairings camp, given the 16 courses and 16 beers...

I might be attending this Saturday's Evil Twin thing @ Ale Arsenal. I will definitely be attending the sausage fest there on Monday, Feb 10th. Hope to see some of you.

I'm probably skipping the rest of the events.

This turned out to be prophetic. What a waste of time standing in line for a pour of Black, and I showed up 4 hours after opening, too. White is pretty tasty, but it has a very strong green papaya thing going on.
Yeah -- I didn't go, but even the most alcohol volume-enthusiast friends of mine who went didn't have good things to say for Black. I did get to try a bomber of white on release data, and it's really good. I think the papaya aspect will drop within the week -- I got a hint of sweetness that seemed like unfinished flavors to me. It's not bottle conditioned, but it still might settle, depending on how flocculent their yeast strain is.

Anybody know of any worthwhile events for 2/14-2/16? I'm flying out on 2/12 and aside from bussing up to Russian River on the 13th, my itinerary is pretty open...

Anybody know of any worthwhile events for 2/14-2/16? I'm flying out on 2/12 and aside from bussing up to Russian River on the 13th, my itinerary is pretty open...

If I do anything that weekend, chances are it'll be one of these events. My Sunday is booked.

Friday
Sante Adairius night at Trappist
64 tap takeover with Sierra Nevada at Zeitgeist
New Belgium Lovefest at Beer Rev

Saturday
Toronado barleywine festival
Drake's grillin and chillin
Firestone walker BA event at Harry's Hofbrau RWC
Ale Arsenal Sourfest

Um...Barleywine Festival...

Other than that, I would recommend looking at:

Feb. 14
Zeitgeist's 62-tap Sierra Takeover
Cellarmaker flights at Monk's (or just go to Cellarmaker)
Goose Island takeover at the Sycamore
Allagash Night at Mikkeller

Feb. 15
Hop 2 It day at City Beer (and Mikkeller, and La Trappe)
Bruery/Allagash day at Public House

Nothing really stands out on the 16th, but the usual suspects will probably have some good stuff.

Eh, if it's anything like last year's I'd recommend skipping it. Takes for-****ing-ever to get in and get served, and last year I think like 3 of the beers were things that don't hit shelves. Massive disappointment.
Last year's the first bad one I've ever been to. Beyond which, if you just go on Sunday, you only miss on crazy-rare ticks, and there's just a lot of really good beer there.

And who knows? We might see Deal with the Devil on Saturday.

Eh, if it's anything like last year's I'd recommend skipping it. Takes for-****ing-ever to get in and get served, and last year I think like 3 of the beers were things that don't hit shelves. Massive disappointment.

3? lol.

Damn, you love to exaggerate. The list is here - a bunch of those are not bottled, and many had very limited distribution (if any).

http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/toronado-barleywine-festival-2013/

We get it. You own or have tried so many beers that you can't be bothered to attend an event unless it has a substantial food pairing or features beers that you can't get elsewhere. But what you don't realize is that sometimes festivals are more than simply what beer is offered. Sometimes it's about being able to try different beers all in one place...or it's about the event atmosphere itself. I know being a jaded beer drinker with thousands of ticks under his belt kind of kills the magic for you, but sometimes it's not about the hunt, or the tick, or the .rar, or the walez. I know you don't love the crowds (neither do I) so that makes sense - but your estimation of what was a shelf beer is a bit off.

axeman said he's flying into town, so we can assume that many of the beers at the barleywine fest are not available to him (since many on the list aren't distributed at all.)

All that said, the crowds may make the event not worth it. It's up to you to decide - I just recommend getting there early and sitting near the bar.

3? lol.

Damn, you love to exaggerate. The list is here - a bunch of those are not bottled, and many had very limited distribution (if any).

http://brookstonbeerbulletin.com/toronado-barleywine-festival-2013/

We get it. You own or have tried so many beers that you can't be bothered to attend an event unless it has a substantial food pairing or features beers that you can't get elsewhere. But what you don't realize is that sometimes festivals are more than simply what beer is offered. Sometimes it's about being able to try different beers all in one place...or it's about the event atmosphere itself. I know being a jaded beer drinker with thousands of ticks under his belt kind of kills the magic for you, but sometimes it's not about the hunt, or the tick, or the .rar, or the walez. I know you don't love the crowds (neither do I) so that makes sense - but your estimation of what was a shelf beer is a bit off.

axeman said he's flying into town, so we can assume that many of the beers at the barleywine fest are not available to him (since many on the list aren't distributed at all.)

All that said, the crowds may make the event not worth it. It's up to you to decide - I just recommend getting there early and sitting near the bar.
Looking at that list I don't think it's an exaggeration whatsoever. There are either a bunch of garbage breweries (maybe Heretic and Devil's Canyon brought one-off stuff, but no one cares because their beer is terrible) or stuff that's really not hard to find (and several aren't even barleywines). But you're right, I think 3 was an exaggeration. It's actually 1. After crossing out breweries that would be closed in a competitive market, beer that's hilariously common, and beer that's really not that hard to get otherwise, I see Glacier's Big Woody.

And this isn't about my being super ticker or whatever, it's that if you're going to line up at 10AM outside Toronado, wait a half hour to get in, and then wait another half hour to get served, you should get something for that. That list rewards you with basically nothing. Since no one listing the fest bothered to say that the crowds are ridiculously horrible (this is the most overcrowded Beer Week event and it's not even close) I think it makes perfect sense to point that out, and as you concede the crowds can easily make it not worth it. So I don't really see why you felt the need to go all condescending on me, anyone who suggests going to that event without pointing out that it'll be a crowded cluster**** is doing everyone a giant disservice.

I will say that, other than the rare bottles sold at opening and the vintage Beatification and Temptation, this year's anniversary party wasn't any better. At least they opened early.

Latest posts

Back