Batch sparging timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
It's been so long since I've brewed I realize I have some refresher questions...

So after the hour mash:

Does it matter how fast I drain the runnings from the tun into the boil kettle?

After I drain the first runnings and then I add the sparge water back into the tun, how long do I let it rest before draining again?

Now, during this sparge, does it matter how fast I drain the runnings into the kettle?

It's been so long since I've brewed I realize I have some refresher questions...

So after the hour mash:

Does it matter how fast I drain the runnings from the tun into the boil kettle?

After I drain the first runnings and then I add the sparge water back into the tun, how long do I let it rest before draining again?

Now, during this sparge, does it matter how fast I drain the runnings into the kettle?

The beauty of batch sparging is that it's fast. That means that you can drain as fast as the MLT will drain.

But the key is to make sure you stir well first- stir like your life depended on it- so that you get the sugars into solution. Then, vorlauf and drain. And repeat if you have a second round of batch sparge. No need to rest at all, but it won't hurt if you do.

thanks....and then to switch gears here, can you point me to the best website for the refractometer brix conversion

thanks....and then to switch gears here, can you point me to the best website for the refractometer brix conversion

Hmmm. I use my Beersmith software. But when I'm brewing, I just multiply my brix reading by 4 to get a "quick and dirty" guestimate of the OG. I don't really know of any website calculators that are as good as Beersmith.

Yooper, After the hour long mash or until you convert then vourloff and drain. At what point do you stir?

I stir when I mash in, then vorlauf and drain after an hour (or conversion). Then stir in the sparge water, vorlauf and drain. And repeat.

I was under the impression you had to leave the grain bed undisturbed.

So I was Stirring at the beginning before the rest. Then once it converted I vourloff and then drain.

You mean I could stir Vouroff, disturb the grain bed then drain?

I was under the impression you had to leave the grain bed undisturbed.

So I was Stirring at the beginning before the rest. Then once it converted I vourloff and then drain.

You mean I could stir Vouroff, disturb the grain bed then drain?

IF you're batch sparging, you stir like crazy to get the sugars in suspension, then vorlauf and drain.

Latest posts

Back