batch sparging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ondori

Reaction score
I was wondering how long you guys usually let your batch sparges rest and how many batches you guys were doing. Yesterday I did my first AG batch, and I did a single batch sparge and let it rest for about 20 minutes.

My day went pretty well, but I came up a little bit short on efficiency. I think I may have judged my water incorrectly eventhough I followed iBrewmaster. I need to do some tests and see how much dead space I really have on my equipment.

I was wondering how long you guys usually let your batch sparges rest and how many batches you guys were doing. Yesterday I did my first AG batch, and I did a single batch sparge and let it rest for about 20 minutes.

My day went pretty well, but I came up a little bit short on efficiency. I think I may have judged my water incorrectly eventhough I followed iBrewmaster. I need to do some tests and see how much dead space I really have on my equipment.

You don't have to let it "rest" at all. Just stir in the sparge water, stir some more, and then stir yet again. It's the stirring that "knocks" the sugars loose, so you can't stir too much. Then vorlauf and drain. You can crack open the valve slowly at first while you vorlauf, then just let 'er rip. It should take a total of about 5 minutes.

I let mine sit for 10 mins bit that's not entirely necessary.

The easiest way to improve your efficiency is to check the crush of your malt. There are a bunch posts here about determining the best crush. The most important thing about efficiency is being consistent. Higher efficiency does not mean better beer.

I sparge twice only because my cooler is not large enough for a single sparge. I do not vorlauf as well since I got a strainer bag stretched over my brew pot filtering the little bit of stuff that does come through. Nope I pretty much open her full blast right from the start and run it till she stops fill her up stir like a madman and let her rip again.

I get 80 plus percent doing it this way all the time

Hmm, maybe that is where I went wrong. I did not stir it at all really. Got it mixed up, let it rest for about 20, and then just ran it off. Next time I will go crazy lol

Man when you mash in beat it like a red headed step child that owes you money and do the same for the sparge. It is amazing how hard you have to stir to get a good mix digging the grains up and such.

Hmm, maybe that is where I went wrong. I did not stir it at all really. Got it mixed up, let it rest for about 20, and then just ran it off. Next time I will go crazy lol

Well, next time stir it like it owes you money. Then again, and again. It's the stirring that actually gets the sugars out for you.

I've read somewhere that stirring so vigorously that you produce a froth on top of the mash is a bad thing. Is that BS I take?

Hot side aeration is up for debate, but the general consensus seems to be the vigorous stirring isn't enough to really cause problems. Hot liquids are really bad at absorbing gas and you head straight to the boil an remove any O2. Most big breweries whirlpool their hot wort for at least 30 minutes with no ill effects.

I did my first AG this weekend and did a batch sparge in 2 stages. I didn't stir much at all and came out with about 65% efficiency.

I will stir like the devil next time around. Anyone run into issues with moving their SS braid around so that it no longer sits on the bottom and that effects efficiency in the end?

I did my first AG this weekend and did a batch sparge in 2 stages. I didn't stir much at all and came out with about 65% efficiency.

I will stir like the devil next time around. Anyone run into issues with moving their SS braid around so that it no longer sits on the bottom and that effects efficiency in the end?

One time I knocked off the ss braid completely. I drained it as much as I could and then just simply removed enough of the grist into a mixing bowl to re-attach the ss braid. I got the highest efficiency from doing this however it was over sparged a bit and thus I recommend being vigorous but aware of where the filter is.

I am wondering how long others vorlauf for, and why.

For my first recipes I vorlauf'd until the runnings were pretty clear of solids. I brewed a porter and during vorlauf I realized I couldn't tell if it was running clear or not because it was so dark. So I guess I should maybe vorlauf for a certain length of time, not judging on clarity.

How do you do it?

bzwyatt said:
I am wondering how long others vorlauf for, and why. For my first recipes I vorlauf'd until the runnings were pretty clear of solids. I brewed a porter and during vorlauf I realized I couldn't tell if it was running clear or not because it was so dark. So I guess I should maybe vorlauf for a certain length of time, not judging on clarity. How do you do it?

I vorleuf about a gallon and it's usually pretty clear with my set up

Latest posts

Back