Batch Sparge Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeyes

Reaction score
Beersmith is telling me this..

Sparge Step: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.04gal, 4.61gal) of 168.0 F water

Shouldn't the sparge strike temperature be higher then 168? I thought you would want to mash out at 168. When I add strike temperature of 168, I end up around 155. Which one should I do?

Thanks!

I usually sparge with 170-175 degree water. The grain will already be heated, so your temp won't drop as much as when you added the strike water, but it will drop a little.

You're batch sparging. You pour the water in, stir it, drain it. There isn't a need to go to mashout because you aren't waiting an hour for the sparge. You could use cold water if you wanted but the sugars are harder to dissolve in cold water and you would lose a little efficiency.

RM-MN said:
You're batch sparging. You pour the water in, stir it, drain it. There isn't a need to go to mashout because you aren't waiting an hour for the sparge. You could use cold water if you wanted but the sugars are harder to dissolve in cold water and you would lose a little efficiency.

That's good to know. In my my last brew my batch sparge settled at 163 and I was worried about not stopping the conversion and extracting tannins.

That's good to know. In my my last brew my batch sparge settled at 163 and I was worried about not stopping the conversion and extracting tannins.

Extracting tannins takes a pH over 6 and temperature over 170. It sounds like you didn't get either of those conditions.

I batch sparge with something in the area of 190 degree water in an attempt to get near 168 degrees. I never come close with the first sparge, which (with BeerSmith) usually calls for less than a gallon of water in addition to the strike water. For the second sparge, around 190 does the trick for me.

I try to hit 168ish grain bed temp to help suspend the sugars in the liquid and get 'em in the dang kettle.

I use 185F water for batch sparging. The final temperature is usually about 168. I use a cooler as my mash tun. I also adjust my sparge water to pH 5.5 with phosphoric acid to avoid extracting tannins. I have found that pH adjustment can make a significant difference in terms of astringent flavors, especially in lighter beers.

I was always confused about batch sparge water temp. I know that John Palmer and others of the like, state that above 170F, tannins can be extracted from the sparged grain. I always assumed that meant a water temp above 170F. But I've often read on various threads about guys interpreting that 170F as a grist temp and often using water temps close to a boil in order to bring the entire grain bed temp upwards of 170F.

I was always confused about batch sparge water temp. I know that John Palmer and others of the like, state that above 170F, tannins can be extracted from the sparged grain. I always assumed that meant a water temp above 170F. But I've often read on various threads about guys interpreting that 170F as a grist temp and often using water temps close to a boil in order to bring the entire grain bed temp upwards of 170F.

As long as your pH stays under about 6.0 you can bring that grist up to the boiling point without extracting tannins. That's how decoction mashes are done.:rockin:

RM-MN said:
As long as your pH stays under about 6.0 you can bring that grist up to the boiling point without extracting tannins. That's how decoction mashes are done.:rockin:

In doing a batch sparge though, is there really any advantage in using near boiling water for a sparge?

In doing a batch sparge though, is there really any advantage in using near boiling water for a sparge?

Only if you aren't putting your runnings on to boil right away, in essence doing a mash out. Otherwise, if you just add your sparge water, stir like you mean it, vorlauf and drain, you end up putting the wort onto boil right away which would denature the enzymes.

I just tried a cold water sparge last weekend, ended up with 75% efficiency. I usually BIAB so new to using a cooler but it seems to work alright. I sparged twice and stirred like hell both times.

Latest posts

Back