Batch size? Boil time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slickshoes

Reaction score
If I plan on doing a 2.25 gal LME recipe, starting with 2.53 gallons. How long of a boil? I was planning on doing 45 min, does this sound ok?

If I plan on doing a 2.25 gal LME recipe, starting with 2.53 gallons. How long of a boil? I was planning on doing 45 min, does this sound ok?

You only need to boil as long as your earliest hop addition. You don't need to boil the LME at all, as it's already been boiled.

If you start with 2.5 gallons of wort, and add a pound of LME at the start, you can just bring that to a boil, add your hops as the recipe directs and set your timer for that length of time. Any other hops additions would go in as usual, and then add the rest of the LME at flame out.

+1^^^^

Also, you can kind of monitor your volume and add some water back toward the end of your boil if you feel you have boiled off more than anticipated to keep you in your 2.25 gallon finishing volume.

Thanks for the advice, any reason to add the rest of the LME at the end of boil?

So I'm going off a 5 gallon recipe that's a 65 min boil with the first hop in at 60 min. But I scaled it down to a 2.5 gallons. Does this mean I should do a 60 min boil? Or do you think a 45 is ok?

So I'm going off a 5 gallon recipe that's a 65 min boil with the first hop in at 60 min. But I scaled it down to a 2.5 gallons. Does this mean I should do a 60 min boil? Or do you think a 45 is ok?

If your hops boil for 60 minutes, then you have to do a 60 minute boil. The size of the boil or the amount of extract doesn't matter at all. The boil is for the hops utilization.

Do you thing it will be a big diff from 60 to 45min? Could I account for some utilization by adding a bit more hop?

It'd be easier in my opinion to just do the 60 minute boil with the hops amount listed. That's if you're doing a bittering addition. You'll need the 60 minute boil to get the full effects of the bittering charge.

It'd be easier in my opinion to just do the 60 minute boil with the hops amount listed. That's if you're doing a bittering addition. You'll need the 60 minute boil to get the full effects of the bittering charge.

Agree. Stick with the hop schedule for the recipe/kit that you have so you'll have a baseline of the results. Otherwise you are changing the recipe and it may not produce the same beer that the recipe intended.

It's a 5 gallon recipe and 60 min boil:
0.5 oz Centennial, 10% AA 60 min
1.0 oz Mt. Hood, 7% AA 30 min
1.0 oz Willamette, 5% AA 15 min

I'm doing a 1 gallon and plan on doing a 45 min boil:
.10 oz Centennial, 10% AA 40 min
.17 oz Mt. Hood, 7% AA 30 min
.20 oz Willamette, 5% AA 12 min

Ibu's are very close in beer smith? maybe I'll consider a 60 min.

Back