Batch Priming Scenerios

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkylerChaBro

Reaction score
My current brew is finishing up in primary and I'm choosing to rack it into secondary and batch prime it/condition, then bottle and let it finish conditioning.

My question is how should I go about batch priming? Should I just go ahead and dissolve the needed dextrose for X volumes CO2 for my 5 gallon batch and rack the beer on top of it in secondary?

I was thinking about splitting it in half and racking one alone, and one on top of strawberries. Would I need to do anything different for the secondary that also has fruit in it if I also wanted to batch prime that one?

Bottle priming is out of the question.

Mark K.

You can't prime in secondary, without a sealed, pressurized vessel the CO2 will not go into solution.

Why is bottle priming out of the question?

You can't prime in secondary, without a sealed, pressurized vessel the CO2 will not go into solution.

Why is bottle priming out of the question?

I have a non drilled solid lid for my secondary, so wouldn't that work?

I don't like the extra time it takes and the lack of consistency that seems to plague me. Batch priming seems like it would be much more practical.

The lid will blow right off. Your only other option is kegging.

I have a non drilled solid lid for my secondary, so wouldn't that work?

I don't like the extra time it takes and the lack of consistency that seems to plague me. Batch priming seems like it would be much more practical.

Nope, like KayaBrew said that lid would be off within a day or two! You need to carbonate in glass or plastic bottles that are designed to be pressurized.

What is your current priming procedure? I've always considered that step pretty foolproof, so long as you use the correct amount of dextrose and gently mix the priming solution thoroughly into your beer.

Kegging is a great option too, I keg nine out of ten batches and can't imagine bottling all that beer! You can naturally carbonate in a keg as well, if you wish, and even fill bottles from them.

Nope, like KayaBrew said that lid would be off within a day or two! You need to carbonate in glass or plastic bottles that are designed to be pressurized.

What is your current priming procedure? I've always considered that step pretty foolproof, so long as you use the correct amount of dextrose and gently mix the priming solution thoroughly into your beer.

Kegging is a great option too, I keg nine out of ten batches and can't imagine bottling all that beer! You can naturally carbonate in a keg as well, if you wish, and even fill bottles from them.

Well when I did it, I added the sugar to each individual bottle which was much too tedious, there must be a better way. My concern boils down to if i mix the solution in the beer and then bottle, won't I just disturb all the trub in the secondary when mixing, thus letting it clear be pointless? Even bigger problem if i'm also racking half the batch onto fruit. Maybe there is a better way around this. What do you think?

Kegging is a bit out of my reach for the time being, although it would be an awesome if I had the resources.

Well when I did it, I added the sugar to each individual bottle which was much too tedious, there must be a better way. My concern boils down to if i mix the solution in the beer and then bottle, won't I just disturb all the trub in the secondary when mixing, thus letting it clear be pointless? Even bigger problem if i'm also racking half the batch onto fruit. Maybe there is a better way around this. What do you think?

You're on the right track with batch priming, just don't do it in the secondary. Instead, use a dedicated bottling bucket, with a spigot at the bottom. Boil up your dextrose (usually 4 or 5 oz for a 5 gallon batch) in a cup or two of water, cover and let cool a bit. Toss the cooled priming solution into your bottling bucket, and carefully rack from your secondary (or primary, for that matter) right onto the solution. The swirling from the incoming beer will mix it up pretty well, but feel free to stir gently with a sanitized metal or plastic spoon. The idea is to thoroughly mix the priming solution in without dissolving oxygen into the beer, so don't splash or whirpool the beer. Finally, use a bottling wand and short piece of tubing to fill your bottles.

For a better (and illustrated) explanation, check out this chapter of John Palmer's "How To Brew."

There seems to be a bit of confusion here.
1) you can rack onto fruit into a secondary
2) batch priming is the art of racking onto a sugar solution and immediately afterward bottling. It is correct that the brew wont carbonate in an unsealed or poorly sealed or weakly sealed container.

If you drain your fermenters carefully most of the trub will remain on the bottom.
Yes you will get sediment but this is normal and some yeast is required to create the secondary carbonation anyhow. It all drops out in the bottle at conditioning stage.

I would advise this process, rack onto your fruit for a few days, the fruit will cause a bit of fermentation anyhow so you need this to settle. Clean the original fermenter
When it is ready, if you wish to batch prime then use the original now clean fermenter.
Create your sugar solution by dissolving in boiling water and cooling. Pour into empty fermenter and rack your beer on top if it. It is ideal to create a whirlpool when you do this to mix thoroughly but try to avoid aeration.

Bottle immediately after batch priming.

** Sorry my post wasn't assuming a bottling bucket, down under here we have fermenters with taps on the bottom, you just drain from one fermenter to another through a hose. None of this stuffing around with glass carboys....

You're on the right track with batch priming, just don't do it in the secondary. Instead, use a dedicated bottling bucket, with a spigot at the bottom. Boil up your dextrose (usually 4 or 5 oz for a 5 gallon batch) in a cup or two of water, cover and let cool a bit. Toss the cooled priming solution into your bottling bucket, and carefully rack from your secondary (or primary, for that matter) right onto the solution. The swirling from the incoming beer will mix it up pretty well, but feel free to stir gently with a sanitized metal or plastic spoon. The idea is to thoroughly mix the priming solution in without dissolving oxygen into the beer, so don't splash or whirpool the beer. Finally, use a bottling wand and short piece of tubing to fill your bottles.

For a better (and illustrated) explanation, check out this chapter of John Palmer's "How To Brew."

There seems to be a bit of confusion here.
1) you can rack onto fruit into a secondary
2) batch priming is the art of racking onto a sugar solution and immediately afterward bottling. It is correct that the brew wont carbonate in an unsealed or poorly sealed or weakly sealed container.

If you drain your fermenters carefully most of the trub will remain on the bottom.
Yes you will get sediment but this is normal and some yeast is required to create the secondary carbonation anyhow. It all drops out in the bottle at conditioning stage.

I would advise this process, rack onto your fruit for a few days, the fruit will cause a bit of fermentation anyhow so you need this to settle. Clean the original fermenter
When it is ready, if you wish to batch prime then use the original now clean fermenter.
Create your sugar solution by dissolving in boiling water and cooling. Pour into empty fermenter and rack your beer on top if it. It is ideal to create a whirlpool when you do this to mix thoroughly but try to avoid aeration.

Bottle immediately after batch priming.

** Sorry my post wasn't assuming a bottling bucket, down under here we have fermenters with taps on the bottom, you just drain from one fermenter to another through a hose. None of this stuffing around with glass carboys....

It seems that I may have had some slight misconceptions that were throwing me off when it came to secondarys and bottling. Thank you both for clearing that up for me.

What I will probably do is rack half my brew into my secondary (which has a spigot) onto the fruit, and leave the rest to finish clearing a bit longer in the primary. From there I will go ahead and get another ale pale with a spigot and use that as my bottling bucket. I could use the extra primary I will gain from it anyway.

Now about getting that turkey fryer >_>

Back