batch needs some life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveT

Reaction score
Hello Looking for some input on my thoughts.

I had a few muntons cans laying around, probably 2 years old. one can was amber LME and a Canadian ale (hopped). Both were amber color and 3.3lb cans iirc. It has been in the primary for over a week and I tested gravity and then drank the sample. the batch has no hop aroma or taste, it smells like LME as if it just came out of the can, but not as strong but overpowering. The gravity was still pretty high (about .010 then I would like it to be) and has some sweetness, I re-pitched some Nottingham moved it to a little warmer area, and wating for some aitlock activity. I would like to transfer to secondary and dry hop this but I am unsure on amounts, time or style of hops. I am not really sure what style I am shooting for either, IMHO it's just fermented Amber LME, I would like to give it some character heh. Suggestions?

I did a "tea" of hops once. A couple ounces of hops in about two quarts of water. Look at all grain recipes for boil times.

If you don't boil the hops for a while it will just be aroma, no bitter or much flavor. I worked OK for me I got about as much hops flavor as Budweiser.

What style were you shooting for?

Good luck and let us know please.

Back