Batch blew up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littled630

Reaction score
So my SWMBO called me to tell me there was beer everywhere. My batch ended up foaming over and blew the cover off my new conical fermenter. I have a few questions.
1. What can cause this?
2. Is there anything i can do to prevent it from happening again?
3. Is a blow off the only thing i can do to settle it down?
4. Is this batch ruined now from oxygen exposure during fermentation?
Please if you can answer any or all of these questions it would be much appreciated and lead to keeping the SWMBO happy!

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Home Brew mobile app

1. Insufficient venting of CO2.
2. Ensure your venting apparatus (air lock, blow off or prv) is functional and will not clog or stick.
3. Blow off is probably most reliable.
4. Maybe not. I'd finish it & see.

1. Overpitching the yeast, too small of headspace, too high temperature during initial fermentation.
2. If you overpitched the yeast, pitch the appropirate amoung. If there was a small headspace, brew smaller batches. Keep the fermenter at the low end of the yeast's preferred temperature.
3. You could just leave the lid loose and clean up the mess it makes when the ferment slows.
4. Beer used to be and still is fermented in open containers. Oxygen isn't likely to get in much while your beer is producing so much CO2.
5. A nice meal out might make SWAMBO happy, especially if she does the cleanup of the mess you made.

The guys above have already given the best answers you're going to get, but I will point out that the headspace in your fermentor (as RM-MN mentioned) is crucial. If you have a 10 gallon fermentor, for example, you can't just fill it to the brim with a 10 gallon batch of wort and pitch your yeast. You have to leave room for krausen and CO2, so if this was a factor (and I'm not saying it was in your case, just "if"), just adjust your batch size next time for a slightly smaller volume. If you don't, you'll have an exploding fermentor every time.

Here is a photo its a 6.5 gallon conical fermentor, with 5 gal batch. Over pitching should be it i use dry yeast 1oz packets. I have always used the entire packet even on 1 gal batches. Like my LHBS owner said, it will only multiply till the oxygen is gone. Temp is the same as all my batches, as i ferment at room temp (about 68°). Thinking it was just a vigorous batch. My SG is usually about 1.065 at most with this recipe, but this batch hit 1.072. Seems like it wasnt anything i did though.

Ok photo didnt attach

Lets try this time

1393693552519.jpg

Looks like adequate head space...now. My last batch, a hef, was 5.5 gal in a 6.5 gal carboy. I pitched one wyeast smack pack, which would be slightly underpitching, I believe. Lag time was about 12 hours but once it took off the blowoff was impressive. My pitcher of starsan gained a good quart of volume from all the foam it blew out. After about 24 hours of excitement it settled down to a steady rate for 6 or 7 days then tapered off. If I'd used an air lock instead of a blowoff tube I'd probably have a mess to deal with.

Hm thats weird cause my bucket that iused to use was 6.5 gal bucket always had enough headspace. Im thinking it must be the higher sugar content in this batch like i said SG was about .007 higher then usual

1. What can cause this?
I would add that this can be caused by specific strains of yeasts. Example WLP300 for a hefe, blowoff absolutely needed if you are in the correct temp range.

Back