Bass Ale Clone (Extract) Design. Need your opinion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slimslapper

Reaction score
Hey all, this is my first attempt of designing a beer so have mercy on my relative ignorance :p. I wanted to make a solid extract recipe for a bass clone, with some grain steeping as well. My main reason for making this is my father likes bass, and I am attempting to make a batch for him to get him to warm up to more ale type beers (he is still stuck in the watery american lagers) so a bass ale I will attempt to make. I also wanted a lower FG so that I can use the ale for black and tans and enjoy it with him. Enough chatter here's what I came up with, it is a hybrid of the recipes I have seen out there...

Bass Ale Clone
Starting Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity:1.014
SRM: 9 deg.
25.7 IBU

Malts and Fermentables:
Marris Otter Pale Malt 1lb- 15 minute steep
British Crystal 60L - 8 oz 15 minute steep
5lbs Light/Pale malt extract syrup
1 lb brown sugar- (not sure if I should add this at start of boil or end of boil, your opinion?)

Hops:
60 mins - East Kent Golding 1.5oz
15 mins - Challenger .5 oz
5 mins - Cascade 1.0 oz
1 min - East Kent Golding 0.5 oz

Your opinion? What about the brown sugar? Ive seen it used in a lot of recipes for the carmel finish that bass tends to have. Does this recipe "fit" the bass style I am going for? Any input is appreciated!

I have a Bass Clone (AG) that has won a few awards. You could do a conversion. I do like your brown sugar addition though. you're right, Bass has that residual sweetness that invert or dememera or even brown sugar can give.

I don't know about using Cascade as a finishing hop.I would pull that and replace with EKG.

Cool Thanks for the tip ill change the finishing to EKG. I'm thinking of adding the brown at the end of the boil sorta like candied sugar to keep the flavor but sanitize it.

As for your recipe, any thoughts on a conversion from your grain bill? I'm fine with steeping the crystal and the honey but unsure the best way to convert flaked corn and pale to extract...

holy ballsack i just looked at biermuncher's recipe database....

anyway i agree. i'd just as soon go all EKG, it's what I do for my ordinary and es- b

+1 on leaving the cascade out. Either EKG or more Challenger would work

Back