Basic Mead Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireWolf

Reaction score
Hello, all! I'm new to the site and mead. I'm looking for a basic mead recipe without any kind of fruit or extra additives. I am a home brewer and know that adding extras can cover up flaws in the base recipe. I have purchased the wildflower honey from my usual source, the yeast, fermaid, and hulls. I'm hoping to get this going over the holiday weekend. Thanks in advance for amy input!

Wildflower honey, at least to me, doesn't make a great tasting mead. You can definitely try it of course, and some people probably do love it.

The recipe is honey, water, yeast, and nutrients. That's it. Generally, about 3 pounds of honey per gallon is used.

I see that! That is new in the past week - guess they gave it up. You can still go to Got Mead, or Denard Brewing and collect all the pertinent info. Sorry for the dead link

Sergio is working on an update to the meadmaderight website, including some revisions to TONSA.

Hopefully it will be up soon. It's a great resource!

Welcome friend!

If you want a nice flavor to a basic mead, a good start is to try some orange blossom honey. IMO wildflower and clover are perfectly good honeys to use on their own, but are best used with additives like fruit and spices. Varietal/specialty honeys will give you the most complex flavor for a basic mead.

As Yooper said, 3lbs per gal is a good target.

Sergio is working on an update to the meadmaderight website, including some revisions to TONSA.

Hopefully it will be up soon. It's a great resource!
I wonder what the revisions are? Taking the YAN content of GoFerm into account is the logical addition. I've read about people messing up 1-gallon batches by adding several grams of GoFerm and ending up being able to taste the yeast nutrients when the batch is finished.

I would go with the TOSNA 2.0 protocol or do a BOMM (bray's one month mead). Both are excellent and very well documented. The bomm is in the stickies in this very forum and the tosna stuff can be found here: .... Oh, the site is down. That's not good. Is on the meadmaderight homepage.

Wildflower honey can differ quite a lot from area to area, if you got a good one than your mead will also be good.

Back