Basement electric brewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wag Bag

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
About 5 years ago I started brewing extract on the stovetop. Last year we went all grain using coolers and gravity outside. Recently I got the itch and decided to build an indoor electric brewery in my basement.

A bit of background: I bought the house in 2012 mostly because it had an unfinished walkout basement with 2 doors. I spend about 4-5 years finish half of the basement to include a wet bar and kegerrator.
331.JPG

IMG_1700.JPG

IMG_9970.JPG

The second half of the basement remains unfinished, but I designed the entire thing to eventually be completed. I am an engineer by trade and have access to Microstation, so Ive been designing everything there first:

IMG_6060.JPG

The brewery planning is in its infancy: Ill be going with a 15 gallon spike system with a homemade steam condenser. I have the plumbing all laid out to avoid hoses everywhere (I hate clutter). The most challenging part will be upgrading to 200 amp service without disrupting daily life. Thankfully I have a licensed electrician friend who should be able to do the serious work.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

I cant say there will be many updates, I am currently deployed to Afghanistan and wont be able to start until the winter. This thread, however, will hopefully make this dream seem more tangible and attainable.

Nice setup. I see your ceilings are about as high as the ones in my basement. :) Love the bar.

In the brewspace, I like the hose inlet and outlet, presumably for chilling. I have garden hoses laid across the floor of my garage but I wish the drain and the hose bib were more conveniently placed. Then again, lots of people would like to have access to water and a drain in the garage like I do.

Is that a closet at the top of the layout design? Can't figure out what's in there. If that door doesn't need to be sealed, and since you're building new, I'd consider a pocket door, or a curtain or sliding door or something like that so you don't need to clear space to open the door.

What are your fermenters like? I have a Spike CF10 on casters that I roll around depending on where I want it, next to the sink for cleaning, etc. I'd want the floor to be smooth to accommodate that. Also, how will you chill the fermenters?

I don't know if you can do this, THE one thing I wish I had in my garage brewery was a drain where I brew. A trench drain would be ideal, but I'd settle for a simple small circular drain with a grate over it. It would make cleanup easier.

Also: how are you going to handle the steam from the boil? Overhead hood and fan? Steam slayer? Don't know if you're factoring this in yet or not.

One suggestion to consider: I have a tall sink with sideboard on the left side. Among other things, I use it to lay kettles and kegs on their sides and spray them out, clean them, etc. Further, the sink bowl is shallow, unlike the more common deep bowl stainless steel sinks out there.

If it were me--and you may see this differently--I'd at the least do a sink setup with a sideboard on it, and I'd include a sprayer that isn't one of those that hang down from above. Maybe keep the sprayer as you have it, but include a second one that offers you more flexibility.

My sink is a castoff I rescued on junk day here, poured a 4" pedestal of concrete for it to sit on, changed the plumbing to a more modern single-handle faucet and added the sink sprayer. I've included a few pics showing how I use it.

You'd probably have to move the door closer to the exterior wall to accommodate a 24 or 36" sideboard, but if it were me, I'd do it. Is the layout pretty set? You might swap the closet thingy to the other side and then move everything over. That would give you room for that sink; further, if I'm reading this right, it would perhaps give you better access to outside walls for ventilation.

Anyway, neat design, and it's fun to plan this stuff out.

Sink pics:

The layout on the left is me accommodating the space I have. There is a sideboard on the sink but I wanted more space to make it easier to clean things, have space for things to drain after cleaning them, etc. There isn't enough room to the left of the sink to lay a kettle on its side, thus the sort of "L-shaped" sideboard thingy. You'd have more room with your setup.

sink1.jpg kegsink.jpg conicalhose.jpg brewarearightside.jpg

The pic on the right shows the wider shot. Similar to your setup in my kettles are on the wooden bench, then the sink on the right. Mine is different because that's a corner space and the sink just its the wall that juts out.

Anyway, cool space, good luck with it, take the above as ideas and adapt as it works for you.

The area up top is where my well pump and radon unit are. They are rather loud so I am thinking a standard prehung door so I can throw some roxul in the walls as opposed to having a cavity.

Mid construction:
IMG_6164.JPG

The first purchase when I get home will be a CF 15, on casters. I plan on using an epoxy floor coating since the slab is in good shape in that area, easy cleanup and transportation. At this time I'm planning on an AC glycol chiller, shown in the top right corner.

I was doing some research on a drain however my sewer pipe is about 5' above the finished floor of the basement. I will have to pump the sink up which is why I have the discharge pipe for the counterflow, I'd like to reduce the use on the pump itself.

I plan on building a 1.5" steam condenser. I originally designed the system on the other wall since I have a window I could vent out, however after leaning about the steam condensers I was able to move it where you see it, which gets me a lot closer to the sink.

I originally was looking at sinks with a sideboard. I would have to have it on the right side in order to plumb past the pocket door, however it looks like you get what you pay for. A lot of the review in my price range showed a very warped board that needs support. I could build something next to the pocket door, but I'm currently opting for a 6' stainless steel prep table where I can dry equipment. The lack of a sideboard also allowed me to go with a larger sink.

Are you not a fan of the faucet? I figure that will give me more flexibility in cleaning, however I also have hot a cold hookups in between the HLT and MT which I could use in lieu of the faucet.

The layout isn't set by any means, I'm very open to advice. The outline of the room is however. The main beam supporting the joists runs left to right and that's my limit of advance. Id like to keep the entry at 36"

Who says you can’t have more than 1 sink? In my Mickey Mouse brewery, I have 2.

The area up top is where my well pump and radon unit are. They are rather loud so I am thinking a standard prehung door so I can throw some roxul in the walls as opposed to having a cavity.

Mid construction:
View attachment 628992

Good reason for a relatively soundproof door. Well, it was an idea. I hate it when perfectly good theories are crushed by the facts. :)

The first purchase when I get home will be a CF 15, on casters. I plan on using an epoxy floor coating since the slab is in good shape in that area, easy cleanup and transportation. At this time I'm planning on an AC glycol chiller, shown in the top right corner.

Such a floor might be self-leveling, which would be good. Unless....

I was doing some research on a drain however my sewer pipe is about 5' above the finished floor of the basement. I will have to pump the sink up which is why I have the discharge pipe for the counterflow, I'd like to reduce the use on the pump itself.

I hadn't thought about a sump or similar...that actually could work. All I know is that I get stuff all over the floor, wish I had a way to easily flush it down the drain.

I plan on building a 1.5" steam condenser. I originally designed the system on the other wall since I have a window I could vent out, however after leaning about the steam condensers I was able to move it where you see it, which gets me a lot closer to the sink.

I have one, it works. You may want a little ventilation there anyway as there's a SMS/DMS smell that comes from it that you'll probably not appreciate. You just want to keep it out of the rest of the house.

I originally was looking at sinks with a sideboard. I would have to have it on the right side in order to plumb past the pocket door, however it looks like you get what you pay for. A lot of the review in my price range showed a very warped board that needs support. I could build something next to the pocket door, but I'm currently opting for a 6' stainless steel prep table where I can dry equipment. The lack of a sideboard also allowed me to go with a larger sink.

Another possibility is to build yourself a "sideboard" cabinet that snugs up against the sink. Have it overlap the sink by 1/4" or so, and it'll drain into it. A benefit would be that you could have a drawer or drawers in it, storage space below, and so on. Mine has a drawer and cabinet under the sideboard.

Are you not a fan of the faucet? I figure that will give me more flexibility in cleaning, however I also have hot a cold hookups in between the HLT and MT which I could use in lieu of the faucet.

Well, imagine that you're laying a keg or kettle down and want to spray it out. That hanging sprayer will not accommodate that. And yet, it may be good for other cleaning purposes. The kind of sprayer I'm talking about is on the right side of the faucet on the sink:

sinksprayer.jpg

I think you can find other sprayer types that could be run off a faucet that mixes hot and cold water. My interest in it is that I've used those hanging sprayers extensively in restaurants, and know what they can and cannot do. What they cannot do is spray out something laying on its side, and they're going to splash a lot unless you put something in the bottom of the sink.

Same with the shallow-bowl sink. I've worked at those deep-bowl sinks, and there's a lot of bending over. Hurts my back. It's so nice to work while standing upright, no bending. And it turns out, I do a lot of cleaning and rinsing at that sink during brew day, so it works for me. I haven't found anything that the deep sink would make easier for me.

There's something my father-in-law taught me many years ago when I was building workbenches. He said to make them 4-6 inches higher than the standard 32-inch-high workbench, so I could stand and work without bending. Know what? He was right. In this pic, the bench is 38 inches high; the sink slightly higher, but the bowl is a bit lower.

brewspacewideangle.jpg

Now, I don't know what height you'd like--I suspect you'd like 36-38, but you should just set up something on sawhorses or something, both at a lower height and a higher one, and see for yourself.

The bench above is probably higher than it need be for kettles--I don't think that matters much. But when cleaning and rinsing and such, consider what you want now before you do anything.

And frankly, if I were doing this all over again, what I'd do is put a shallower stainless bowl in a sink cabinet, and build a sideboard to the left of it. Not hard to get pre-finished countertop into which you drop a bowl, add your other faucets as you deem desirable, and there you are. But that's me. You decide what works best for you, and not everything I've done may be desirable to you.

The layout isn't set by any means, I'm very open to advice. The outline of the room is however. The main beam supporting the joists runs left to right and that's my limit of advance. Id like to keep the entry at 36"

These are all just suggestions based on what's worked well for me. For instance, I'm righthanded, so I want a sideboard on the left, allowing me to control the sprayer with my right hand. If you're lefthanded, assuming you wanted a sideboard, maybe you'd reverse that.

Anyway, just a bunch of ideas. I wish I had a clean space to design a brew room from scratch; I had to deal with the space limitations I have, and that's what's given rise to some of this. Enjoy the figuring and fiddling! Good Luck.

Ive been using this time to make some progress. The first step for this project was always going to be electrical. I wanted to upgrade my service to 200 amps and clean up some shotty wiring the previous owner did. I have everything laid out, just waiting for a few parts to come in to start installing the new load center in the "wall".

y4pypAJIEAvfMqvu08csjOgCGmV_fd_wDHzmf5JAjMnu5lx16ecUGYwNXPbWjeWIslf_2X0jp0cl6Z56LgEU42psi1-QY28eSxa-AQl18kCQ_PK-up_NMxu8CNSy3D9RX2AQfF_VWn0XefaDU-G_Zso-zmCy2BTG8ykJqngcZxysJuD3IaeKrFVq2GVUNX331TRUfQRNvcX0fEZwD1CdLr1t1k18Ep-4D6z83pf-oYToaM

I also had a chance to clean out the brewery area. It took some creativity, but I was able to relocate everything back there for a clean work area. I cant say I usually have the ability to open up a work area like this. Next steps are to replace the hopper window, XPS on the walls and to start framing.
20200421_233221987_iOS.heic

y4pUHJMI_UD5araDSG-BL7kV1oaxX2CKaCNpkr6P5MgFAJt6e8sNz63D2DdJwVBwhp8hTdFER7-Ea7Y1hbCk7KmYY0trZb1c7lZnxXn9ty_2v8UF8F6TfN4zkpfyuQun-PG21lrHL8ANaUDg_OiP1LmrmQNv1R17r06ursLUhc9UziFsAsidQroomaoNP5AvVgP4iCTYMzZC-NOGDOOQQEQJSp_bU-ijIxC7NY-NcLr3cQ

More to follow

Well, its been a long time since I posted an update. My plan was to post updates every step of the way, but it just simply didn't happen.

Most of the summer was spent insulating, framing, and running utilities. I absolutely have wires and hoses strewn about, so a good amount of effort was taken to plan for where I want water, CO2, power etc.
62838554818__580F572C-4F76-4D68-AD8F-F0E89A2B27B9.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

This is the wall the system will be on. I have hot/cold hose ports ip top, my counterflow in/out is hard plumbed below the surface as well (i hate hoses). I also plumbed in a steam condenser pipe at the appropriate location, not installed yet in this photo. Lastly, ill have a deep bottom sink off the the right next to the pocket door.

I hung the sheetrock a few weeks back and I'm on my second coat of compound. Its a long process, but compared to a lot of the other work required down there its not too bad.

More to come later.

Well, I passed final inspection, that was a nice hurdle. To celebrate, I finally pulled the trigger on the Spike system. Next step is picking out subway tile for the back of the brewery wall. I also need to build in the controller once it shows up, i just didnt want the inspector asking questions. Im leaning towards black or blue tile, prices are just a little stupid. After that ill heat and tile the whole floor with a feaux wood large format.

IMG_0961(1).jpgIMG_0962(1).jpgIMG_0963(1).jpgIMG_0964(1).jpgIMG_0965(1).jpgIMG_0966.jpgIMG_0967.jpgIMG_0968.jpgIMG_0969(1).jpgIMG_0970.jpgIMG_0971.jpgIMG_0972.jpgIMG_0973(1).jpgIMG_0974.jpgIMG_0975.jpg

Well my spike 15 gallon system came Friday, so i can finally cut in the controller cabinet. I wanted to wait until it was in hand to get the best fit. I had framed the opening ahead of time but didn't want the inspector asking too many questions, so i sheet rocked over it.

I overbuilt the opening by a good amount, so i was able to sister some 2x8 with an additional 3/4" shim to get the proper depth. Then 3/4" ply all glued and screwed. I was going to go with a French cleat but after seeing the back of the panel im going to just bolt directly through the plywood.

IMG_1283(1).jpgIMG_1287(1).jpg

The controller will be suspended about 4.5" above the bottom to allow for a piece of trim and the cords. I had to clamshell the bottom since the plugs are so large. They will run behind the wall above and below the brew table (did i mention i hate wires)

IMG_1290.jpg

I also ran into a bit of an oversight when i got the chiller. I didnt account for ventilation.

IMG_1236.jpg

After a slight crisis i decided to flip the while unit around and just show the ugly side. The only issue was then the controller that would be against the wall. I figured i could just chop and swap and buy a new one until i saw the price tag. So, i painstakingly went about dismantling a brand new chiller to try and remove the controller. Im still not sure how i got my hand in there, but i finally git it out. I rewired the controller and the main power cord. The original cord had a huge GFI plug and came out of the bottom of the unit. I have GFI on the breaker and the bottom is a terrible place to run the cord so while i was performing open heart surgery on this thing i replaced that too. This also allows me to mount the controller right below the shelf which i think looks pretty clean.

IMG_1266.jpgIMG_1272(1).jpgIMG_1279(1).jpg

Second coat of mud is drying - once I get that done and painted i can tile the backsplash.

IMG_1280(1).jpg

more to follow

Attachments

• IMG_1230.jpg
    IMG_1230.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Big night last night - finally got the controller in. Next step should be to tile the backsplash but I think I’ll finish the trim below the controller. 05C578C6-AF83-4560-A66D-A8520E6EE07A.jpeg

More to come later, but quick update. I started tiling last week, I’m through about 20%, but it’s been going well.
I also completed the trim piece for the controller.
Lots more tiling to do before I can get this all set up.

Attachments

• FF65207B-D806-4DE2-B08C-FC036FDFF37E.jpeg
    FF65207B-D806-4DE2-B08C-FC036FDFF37E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 106
  • 50571970-2075-4811-9E17-DA1993AD73FC.jpeg
    50571970-2075-4811-9E17-DA1993AD73FC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • BB2AF713-43FF-4D33-B084-9459E09B3E90.jpeg
    BB2AF713-43FF-4D33-B084-9459E09B3E90.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
  • 0D0A4BE2-F8FA-4A1A-B7C6-DC6C93BD3FCA.jpeg
    0D0A4BE2-F8FA-4A1A-B7C6-DC6C93BD3FCA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
Lots of trim work the last 4 days. I also plumbed finished off the counter flow plumbing. I went with a push to connect since I have a backup valve on the stem and it allows for easy removal.

I tend to rush the finish work so I’m doing my best to combat that. Once I get the quarter round in I can plumb the sink.
3D77602C-2008-4282-8113-8DE8C61410E7.jpeg

We’ll the trim work on the brewery is completed. I’m working on painting the 2 doors before I work my way trimming out the rest of the basement.

That also means I was able to place the furniture in their final locations - big day for me.
024797CA-FBD3-414A-849F-84BB0B9DCF0A.jpeg

lots of plumbing and electrical left to get the system up and running, but that’s the fun work. I hope to have the sink set up in the next couple days.

5F6DF199-5421-4AEA-9324-197AF7B95BED.jpeg

Attachments

• 570C9028-51DE-478C-AD8B-34108AB18BBB.jpeg
    570C9028-51DE-478C-AD8B-34108AB18BBB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 53AC37FB-9A27-469C-8E7C-67A80EA32B5F.jpeg
    53AC37FB-9A27-469C-8E7C-67A80EA32B5F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
I got the sink plumbed finally. The clean out will eventually have a male BLQD. It’s not pretty, o may figure out an aesthetic treatment, but it’s functional.
B314A5D0-6F6D-4C90-91CB-F2B83EDCAF6D.jpeg

I need to make some sort of rubber spacer to replace tue block of woof before I can hook up the counter flow for good.
image.jpg

Great work, I am sure it must be exciting times for you as you near completion!

And you are not messing around with your water connections for your CFC!

I took a little trim break to hookup the system. I figure I’ve been patient enough - I got it back in July. I had to splice the BK wire behind the wall with a couple J boxes

image.jpg

I ended up running a couple 1/4” bolts through the table. I just sprayed some pex - it doesn’t look nearly as bad as I expected. I went with the PTC so I can easily remove this if need be.
887E9503-E45B-4167-8370-E2ADC0CF24FD.jpeg

58791E3F-38E6-4779-A2FC-4C1254F8C1DF.jpeg

The trim is almost done as well. It’s amazing what trimwork does to transform a space.

I have a friend who fabricates aftermarket motorcycle parts is prin me a couple pipe brackets to mount the pumps.

Ive also been adding some pegboard and general functionality to the space - however the majority of that will wait until I start to brew to make sure it’s in the right spot.
image.jpg

The board on the left is mostly cold side stuff while the right will house commonly uses tools etc.

It’s amazing how much I get done when I can have red zone on in the background

Congrats! Nice job. Very clean - be sure to show some pics of your first brew in your new basement brewery!

Congrats! You can now enjoy the fruits of your hard work.

I'm expecting the next photo of your wife and you to be toasting your homebrew.

Is that a Vikings hat?, long time Vikings fan here.

It is! SKOL

36ED2935-AA10-4B9E-B201-F4220D02791D.jpeg

D216E78E-A9C8-4B67-89AB-45A2128AF905.jpeg

my friend has bigger and better things to fabricate that pump mounts, but I found these in the meantime. I decided to split the pumps to reduce hose length, so I need to redesign the mounts anyway. One last fitting to connect the steam condenser and we are good to go.

What are those pump mounts called? Some sort of pipe clamp?

If you haven't cut your hoses, you are making their lengths slightly longer by mounting them on the legs. You can put the pumps anywhere in between the valves the pumps service, left to right and the you'll use the same amount of hose to transfer between two vessels. That is, keeping the pump in the same horizontal plane. Connect one hose between the two vessels and you can locate the pump anywhere between. When you move the pump past for instance the rightmost vessel's valve, then you will increase the tubing length. It's only about 1/2' looks like. Raising the height of the pumps will shorten tubing lengths.

Great tip! I ended up moving them up after your post, I've just been busy brewing and not posting! I also reconfigured some of the fittings on the valves to prevent kinking in some hoses.

IMG_2609.jpg

Overall I've been very happy with the system. My first brew was about 60% efficiency, however my last one was 73% after modifying the sparge setup.

Keep an eye on your PID temps I've had mine drift and need calibration which also affects efficiency.

Elbows as you have figured out are handy for preventing kinking. I'll mention two others. The first is to use thicker walled tubing. The second is a hack using electrical wire. I took a length of solid strand insulated 12 gauge wire and spiraled it around the tubing near the bend it was kinking at. You can try to keep them all at the correct length so as to not flop but the MT and BK are served by the same pump so the hose length won't be optimal unless you have a separate set for each function.

Back