American IPA Base Pale Ale Recipe for Single hop Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I havent had the chance to mess around with any lupomax hops yet. I read up on them a little bit and it definitely sounds like a guy could end up hooked on using them over T90 in a lot of instances. I have a little bit of lupomax el dorado that I have planned in a different IPA ( coincidently using this recipe, just tweaking the hop additions for using multiple varieties) and am kinda excited for it.

After my last two batches, I think I'm coming back to this to go back to 'simple'. One was my 1st NEIPA which has effectively devolved into a fruity'ish Amber'ish...something...and the other...well, my 2nd dumper.

I've got almost 7 oz of Rakau, so think I'll give that a whirl..maybe this weekend?

We made this last weekend and everything went really well. We substituted melanoidin for biscuit. Apparently, biscuit is a branded product and not available over here. We also lowered the OG a bit to come in at a lower ABV but we got better than expected efficiency so it put us right back up. So far, it looks really great. Once it comes out of the fermenter and we keg I'll post updates.
How’s this come out?

I got a good deal on half a pound each of 2 hop varieties I never tried before.

Monroe has been around a few years but not used very much outside Germany.
Tango is a totally new one not on general release until 2022.

I'm going to try a 2.5 gallon batch with Tango and/or Monroe sometime soon but using magnum for bittering.

I still didn't do this and wont be able to brew until October at the earliest.
So when I do find a chance to brew I want to brew up 4 beers.

Unfortunately I only have room for two kegs in my kegerator so I'll have to bottle this one as an NEIPA and DIPA will be going into those.

Anyway I was thinking of bittering to about 30 IBU with Magnum or Columbus and putting the whole 250g (about 9oz) in the last 10 mins and the whirlpool. Leaving out the dry hop to reduce oxidation and hopefully keep the beer fresher for longer in the bottle as it will take a few months before I can drink them all.
I probably wont learn as much as with dry hopping but I should still get a good idea of what these hops have to offer.

Last edited:
image0.jpeg

It came out great! I followed the original recipe but used a 2:1 Cashmere:Galaxy for hop additions and I pitched it onto a Lutra Kveik yeast cake from a cream ale that I kegged the same day. I swear it was ready in 3 days, but I let it go for 6 days to be safe. Burst carbonated at 40 psi for 24 hours. Like you said, its a great recipe to showcase the hop character! I also used this recipe with great success for Sabro hops. Now Sabro hops taste like sunscreen to me because of this recipe, so thanks for that! Lol

Really enjoyed my Centennial version of this. Was my first ever brew!

Just wondered. Do you have a similar base recipe for an IPA and NEIPA? Many thanks

First try with this recipe was a success in April (Talus hops), so I'm brewing it again hopefully next week with Eclipse hops.

My sister in law harvested and dried the hops that were already growing at the house they bought last year. Since we don’t know what varietal it is, I’m thinking this could be a good recipe to try.

My sister in law harvested and dried the hops that were already growing at the house they bought last year. Since we don’t know what varietal it is, I’m thinking this could be a good recipe to try.
The common thought in using mystery hops is to only use them in the latter part of boil since the AA is unknown.

Give them a good smell. If you like the aroma use them in the last 10 min or so of boil.

The common thought in using mystery hops is to only use them in the latter part of boil since the AA is unknown.

Give them a good smell. If you like the aroma use them in the last 10 min or so of boil.
I don’t disagree with the fact tht it’s impossible to calculate ibus exactly But let’s be honest, if your used 4 oz of wet hops with a AA as high as 20% at 60 minutes and that still would only be roughly 60 Ibus for this recipe at around a 1.055-1.060. It’s unlikely that they would be tht high. 15% AA Seems like it would be the typical max for high alpha varieties that are nonproprietary. Then we are talking 50 ibus for the 60 min. Then you can add the rest in the hopstand to ensure the beer doesn’t get to bitter

Last edited:
I use lactic acid. I ferment in 7 gal fermonsters. To eliminate o2 I’ve converted the lid to have two ball lock keg post; a liquid and a gas. The liquid is attached to a floating dip tube(CBD system). During fermentation I’ll hook the co2 post to a empty and sterilized keg that has a blow off running from it. The fermentation will purge the keg completely of o2. Then when I’m ready to crash I’ll connect the fermenter to my co2 regulator at 3 psi. That way it prevents any suck back and will just kick on the regulator. Complete closed system.
I have fermonsters as well and I'm just about ready for doing g the whole oxygenless ferment. My question for you is, how do you dry hop without introducing O2?

Getting the the itch to brew something lighter than my usual NEIPA's I am liking the simplicity of this recipe. Curious if anyone has tried swapping 1# of wheat with spelt? I have had some Treehouse pale ales recently including one that was a mere 4.8% and the mouthfeel came across like an IPA. I am not expecting this substitution to have that substantial of an impact would it add to the recipe or detract?

Getting the the itch to brew something lighter than my usual NEIPA's I am liking the simplicity of this recipe. Curious if anyone has tried swapping 1# of wheat with spelt? I have had some Treehouse pale ales recently including one that was a mere 4.8% and the mouthfeel came across like an IPA. I am not expecting this substitution to have that substantial of an impact would it add to the recipe or detract?
I would think it would give more body, how much? No idea. Definitely worth a shot. It would be really cool to do a side by side experiment wheat vs spelt in this recipe

Been a while since I have made this recipe. Have a lb of 2020 Nectaron which smells amazing, so figure this recipe would be a good introduction to the hop. Brewed yesterday and looking forward to getting it on tap. My Dad really liked the version of this beer that I did with Strata, so hopefully I can push have this ready to drink when he comes to town in a couple weeks.

Been a while since I have made this recipe. Have a lb of 2020 Nectaron which smells amazing, so figure this recipe would be a good introduction to the hop. Brewed yesterday and looking forward to getting it on tap. My Dad really liked the version of this beer that I did with Strata, so hopefully I can push have this ready to drink when he comes to town in a couple weeks.
@popquizkid how'd this turn out with Nectaron?

Thank you for your reply @Dgallo , Is melanoidin also a alternative?
Melanoidin is related to honey malt not those mentioned earlier. Melanoidin will provide more perceived sweetness with less “malty” character than the others. That said it can easily be used but I would probably drop it to 0.25 lbs

I only have Weyermans brand here in our country. I'm confused which malt will I substitute for biscuit.

Did you drop it at 0.25lbs? or stick at 0.5lbs?
I'll also add that we got better efficiency than expected with the grain bill so the abv was slightly over the higher end of the style guide range. It was a nice beer.

We have another festival this weekend and we are bringing 8 different beers, including a keg of this recipe. Depending on how it goes we may bring it to two others as well. It is a real solid recipe that can showcase certain hops well.

When is the perfect timing for dry hopping this recipe? My packaging method is bottling after 2 weeks of fermentation, and not going to do cold crash.

I ended up brewing this again with some some changes to the grain bill to utilize my homegrown Columbus. Same amount of wheat but I swapped out the biscuit for Caramunich 1 and subbed 2 lbs of Basemalt for Vienna.

Used 24oz of Wet Columbus hops
-0.5 oz of Columbus t90 at 30
-4 oz of wet Columbus at 15
-4oz of wet Columbus at 5
-4oz of wet Columbus at FO
-12oz wet Columbus WP at 170 for 30 mins

Fermented US05 at 65*f
Fined it with Biofine
6324F18A-6DE4-4A2E-A75E-4C5643C00C98.jpeg
1EB4C36C-5C01-4370-98AB-4D822B5EB4B3.jpeg
3A9DA827-00E4-4265-8862-7C7E7C16CED1.jpeg
FE737635-89A1-4FAA-ABAE-1E403FC841F5.jpeg

I ended up brewing this again with some some changes to the grain bill to utilize my homegrown Columbus. Same amount of wheat but I swapped out the biscuit for Caramunich 1 and subbed 2 lbs of Basemalt for Vienna.

Used 24oz of Wet Columbus hops
-0.5 oz of Columbus t90 at 30
-4 oz of wet Columbus at 15
-4oz of wet Columbus at 5
-4oz of wet Columbus at FO
-12oz wet Columbus WP at 170 for 30 mins

Fermented US05 at 65*f
Fined it with Biofine
View attachment 783826View attachment 783829View attachment 783828View attachment 783827
Gorgeous hops! I have hop envy! I’m too far south to grow them here in Georgia unfortunately.

I just read through the whole thread and will make a variation of this today. I like the single hop focus and will probably go with Vic Secret as I have a bunch on hand. Thanks for putting this together.

Here's an all Cascade Pale Ale with almost the same @Dgallo grist (No biscuit. Added 10oz Carafoam). 1.058 OG 1.010 FG. US05. Lovely beer. Forgot to dry hop, but this is tasting really good after a week in the keg. This pour was on Sunday, 4 days in the keg. It's fully carbed now and clearing up nicely!
20230402_170126.jpg

Back