American IPA Base Pale Ale Recipe for Single hop Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Astringent...is exactly what it is. Having read about it, but not yet having the misfortune of having brewed a beer with it evident I wasn’t sure that it was. I do know, thanks for classifying what I was tasting.

Glad I did decide to transfer off of those additional hops in the keg? Not sure if those may have attributed, and as of yesterday still pretty harsh. I’ll give it another week or two?
I think it was definitely the right move to get off the hops. I've had astringent beers. Early in my brewing days I think it may have been due to water issues or other things in my system not being buttoned up. Now, if I do get it it's mainly from the hop polyphenols. Galaxy is notorious for it and has caused me problems, and Vic Secret supposedly is similarly high in polyphenols. If that's the issue it should settle down with some conditioning time.

I am thinking about making this with mandarina bavaria. I've heard it's a little one note though. What should I pair it with? Cascade?

Also thinking about making this with Green Bullet. How does that work as a single hop? Would it be better to pair it with something?

The other hops I have are crystal, cluster, cascade, columbus cryo, mosaic, nugget, tetnannger, loral, ahntanum, warrior, pahto, wakatu, magnum and mt hood (I got the AIH grab bag deal recently)

I am thinking about making this with mandarina bavaria. I've heard it's a little one note though. What should I pair it with? Cascade?

Also thinking about making this with Green Bullet. How does that work as a single hop? Would it be better to pair it with something?

The other hops I have are crystal, cluster, cascade, columbus cryo, mosaic, nugget, tetnannger, loral, ahntanum, warrior, pahto, wakatu, magnum and mt hood (I got the AIH grab bag deal recently)
This recipe is actually intended to be used for single hopped beers. It’s so you can learn what the specific hop brings to the table, which will help you pair it with other hops in the future. I would personally advise you to do a single hop mandarina, I don’t think the hops one demential at all. Floral, orange blossom, orange/citrus. I really liked it.

All that said, you can certainly use this recipe for non single hop beers. Mandarina pairs well with anything citrus or fruit forward.

I think it was definitely the right move to get off the hops. I've had astringent beers. Early in my brewing days I think it may have been due to water issues or other things in my system not being buttoned up. Now, if I do get it it's mainly from the hop polyphenols. Galaxy is notorious for it and has caused me problems, and Vic Secret supposedly is similarly high in polyphenols. If that's the issue it should settle down with some conditioning time.

I’m liking at..sheesh. 02/07 brew date and I feel like this is finally palatable. Not eager to share with anybody as it isn’t anything to scream about. Not sure if it is a characteristic of the hop, or the fact that I dry hopped in keg. Probably going to shy away from dry hopping in keg based off this experience? I don’t know..

Aroma is pretty damn nice with tropical notes being ridiculous. Just the finish...not what I’d like. Lingering bitterness...not unpleasant but...

Not something that I’d get a taster of and say...oh, let me get a pint of this.

Which shouldn’t surprise me too much...I had a “pro” SH DDH Vic Secret pale ale locally that I wasn’t too high on either?

Everything I’ve read (post brew..ugh) isVic Secret is mostly used in Whirlpool and Dry Hop. Makes me wonder if for the same reason(s) I’m dealing with?

Not dumping it for sure, just wish it was better.

I’m liking at..sheesh. 02/07 brew date and I feel like this is finally palatable. Not eager to share with anybody as it isn’t anything to scream about. Not sure if it is a characteristic of the hop, or the fact that I dry hopped in keg. Probably going to shy away from dry hopping in keg based off this experience? I don’t know..

Aroma is pretty damn nice with tropical notes being ridiculous. Just the finish...not what I’d like. Lingering bitterness...not unpleasant but...

Not something that I’d get a taster of and say...oh, let me get a pint of this.

Which shouldn’t surprise me too much...I had a “pro” SH DDH Vic Secret pale ale locally that I wasn’t too high on either?

Everything I’ve read (post brew..ugh) isVic Secret is mostly used in Whirlpool and Dry Hop. Makes me wonder if for the same reason(s) I’m dealing with?

Not dumping it for sure, just wish it was better.

I just brewed this with Vic Secret and will let you know how it turns out. Dry hopped in fermentor. Cold crashing now and will be packaging a a day or two.

I did a single hop Vic Secret recently. This recipe, but moved everything to the whirpool and dry hop. First Time using Vic Secret and it was incredible! Totally holds up on it's own.

What amounts of hops did you use? I was thinking about doing the same thing.

It wasn't a single hop, and not this grain bill but I just did a beer with 6 oz VS (2 whirlpool, 4 DH) along side citra (2oz boil, 1ozWP, 4oz DH) and I am getting all kinds of that bitterness noted above. I think its the polyphenols from the VS mucking things up. I agree it isn't all too pleasant. going to try to gelatin it out...see if it helps. been two weeks in the keg already and its improved slightly, but not much.

I brewed this with mandarina bavaria last night. Underestimated my efficiency and ended up 1.070 SG. We'll see how it is in a few weeks.

It wasn't a single hop, and not this grain bill but I just did a beer with 6 oz VS (2 whirlpool, 4 DH) along side citra (2oz boil, 1ozWP, 4oz DH) and I am getting all kinds of that bitterness noted above. I think its the polyphenols from the VS mucking things up. I agree it isn't all too pleasant. going to try to gelatin it out...see if it helps. been two weeks in the keg already and its improved slightly, but not much.
I suggest just being patient. Gelatin will pull more proteins and other positively charged compounds out. Yes your hopburn will be gone quicker but youll lose mouthfeel and aroma/flavor compounds along the way.

I would highly suggest just conditioning for 3 weeks

I suggest just being patient. Gelatin will pull more proteins and other positively charged compounds out. Yes your hopburn will be gone quicker but youll lose mouthfeel and aroma/flavor compounds along the way.

I would highly suggest just conditioning for 3 weeks

Yeah, I hear you and that is definitely a risk. But lacking any improvement over the 2 weeks + it sat on gas, I didn't think it just adding more time would be enough. Am I being impatient? probably. Might this reduce hop potency? maybe also true. While googling if gelatin would pull hop burn out, I found a blog post from Sapwood on their beers being Vegan. They use Biofine instead of Gelatin, but that seems mostly driven by the desire to be Vegan.

"At Sapwood, we often use a vegan alternative to gelatin called Biofine Clear in some of our intensely dry-hopped beers which doesn’t make the beer clear, but helps to speed up the time a beer takes to lose its “green” hop burn."

The gelatin went in 2 nights ago, and its been sitting at 31 since then.

https://sapwoodcellars.com/sapwood-2020/

I got a good deal on half a pound each of 2 hop varieties I never tried before.

Monroe has been around a few years but not used very much outside Germany.
Tango is a totally new one not on general release until 2022.

There's an online shop in Germany which is a one-man operation.
He just sells hops a bit of malt and some dry yeast.
He appears to have a connection with the local hop growers and they give him a few pounds of the new stuff to try out before they expand the crop.
Solero was another interesting one but it sold out almost straight away.

https://www.hopsteiner.com/variety-data-sheets/Solero/
Anyway I'm going to try a 2.5 gallon batch with Tango and/or Monroe sometime soon but using magnum for bittering.

My version of this with Vic Secret came out fantastic. It is a little more bitter than my previous iterations with Strata and Nelson, but that is to be expected with the higher AA. Not astringent. Pineapple, peach, a little pine. As I had noticed in previous beers that I made as part of a blend, pineapple is the defining aroma characteristic to me.

Not sure if it made any difference with the astringency issue others have had but this was dry hopped colder than my usual usual at 52 deg, and then cold crashed a little longer (5 days) as I was out of town last weekend.
20210410_191426.jpg

Last edited:
Need something to drink when moving back to our apartment after 3 months of renovation (and 4 month of brewing hiatus), so I'm gonna do this recipe with Polaris hops, using Skare kveik to have a quick fermentation and turnaround, but still a neutral fermentation profile. I also have Huell Melon, Barbe Rouge and Hallertau Blanc in my freezer in large numbers (200g ≈ 7 oz) so I hope I can brew this recipe with them too.

I posted a while back saying I was going to brew this with Galena. Life got in the way so I just now got around to ordering the ingredients and I’ll brew it this weekend. Because of the AA of Galena, I only used 5 Oz instead of 6. I also targeted a pale ale water profile which is a little higher Ca compared to the OP recipe. I’ll let everyone know how it turns out!

I posted a while back saying I was going to brew this with Galena. Life got in the way so I just now got around to ordering the ingredients and I’ll brew it this weekend. Because of the AA of Galena, I only used 5 Oz instead of 6. I also targeted a pale ale water profile which is a little higher Ca compared to the OP recipe. I’ll let everyone know how it turns out!

Really curious about this. Have only seen Galena used in bittering, early boil situations. Definitely let us know!

Finally renovation is finished so I could brew this recipe. In the last minute I changed the hops to Talus, as I received 200g from a friend a day before. Skare kicked off in a few hours after pitching on 32 Celsius. Looking forward to the finished beer!
IMG_20210501_094823.jpg

IMG_20210501_094812.jpg

IMG_20210501_133708.jpg

Also, my LHBS was out of Biscuit malt, so I switched to Simpsons Caramalt, which is a bit lighter.
Looks like primary fermentation has already finished (Skare is quick, especially on 32°C), but I will wait a week before crashing it to 0°C. According to The New IPA by Scott Janish, dry hopping for 2 days on cold crashing temperature has the similar results than dry hopping on room temperature for 2 or more days, so I will try that.

Finally renovation is finished so I could brew this recipe. In the last minute I changed the hops to Talus, as I received 200g from a friend a day before. Skare kicked off in a few hours after pitching on 32 Celsius. Looking forward to the finished beer!
View attachment 727843

View attachment 727842
View attachment 727844

Mandarina bavaria version with a higher percentage of 2 row (I need a new scale). I could have used more hops, but it still is tasty. I will definitely pair this hop with another next time though.

Attachments

• PXL_20210506_042439431.jpg
    PXL_20210506_042439431.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
Mandarina bavaria version with a higher percentage of 2 row (I need a new scale). I could have used more hops, but it still is tasty. I will definitely pair this hop with another next time though.

What are your impressions about Mandarina aroma/flavorwise?

Just pulled the first pint of this with Galena. Still needs to carb up a little more but this is super tasty. The base beer is perfect for showcasing the hops. Out of the Galena, my first impressions are sweet fruit & tropical pineapple on the nose. Excited to see what other flavors develop as it carbonates over the next few weeks.

Damn @Dgallo this recipe is killing it! I freakin' love Skare, 8 days from kettle and already a killer brew!
Talus is also an awesome hop, recommend to try it, a daugther of Sabro, it has similar properties but much more discreet. Tropical fruits (mango, papaya), apricot and grapefruit are the main components with very subtle coconut, sage and pine needles (very subtle for real). Also, this malt bill with 65 C mashing is screaming for chugging, so great! And look at that color.

Attachments

• IMG_20210510_094508.jpg
    IMG_20210510_094508.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20210510_094609.jpg
    IMG_20210510_094609.jpg
    893.1 KB · Views: 50
Damn @Dgallo this recipe is killing it! I freakin' love Skare, 8 days from kettle and already a killer brew!
Talus is also an awesome hop, recommend to try it, a daugther of Sabro, it has similar properties but much more discreet. Tropical fruits (mango, papaya), apricot and grapefruit are the main components with very subtle coconut, sage and pine needles (very subtle for real). Also, this malt bill with 65 C mashing is screaming for chugging, so great! And look at that color.
I’m glad you’ve had success with the recipe! I’ve been meaning to get around to brewing with talus. Def will have to give it a shot

I mean, it's a thread to read experiments about other hops without having to try it, but damn, Talus IS a great one. I'm glad to change it in the last minute, so awesome.

Brewed something akin to this with HBC 586. The plan was to follow this recipe but on the brew day realized I had only
4.4lbs of 2-row... so I ended up dropping biscuit malt and replacing rest of the base malt with what I had on hand, Epiphany Foundation, which is like a pale ale malt at 2.8 Lovibond.

So final grain bill looked like:
4.4 lbs 2-row
6 lbs Epiphany Foundation
1 lbs Wheat malt

Anyway, the beer turned out very good and unique. This hop is different from anything I've used before. Getting sweet fruit and some jalapeno vibes out of it. Would probably work well in a saison.

Brewed something akin to this with HBC 586. The plan was to follow this recipe but on the brew day realized I had only
4.4lbs of 2-row... so I ended up dropping biscuit malt and replacing rest of the base malt with what I had on hand, Epiphany Foundation, which is like a pale ale malt at 2.8 Lovibond.

So final grain bill looked like:
4.4 lbs 2-row
6 lbs Epiphany Foundation
1 lbs Wheat malt

Anyway, the beer turned out very good and unique. This hop is different from anything I've used before. Getting sweet fruit and some jalapeno vibes out of it. Would probably work well in a saison.

Jalapeno? Wow, got me intrigued! Gonna check if I can order some of it.

I had a chance to brew this with galaxy a few weeks ago and really like the grain bill. I'll be using this moving forward with new hops and fresh hops from the garden this year. Thanks!

We made this last weekend and everything went really well. We substituted melanoidin for biscuit. Apparently, biscuit is a branded product and not available over here. We also lowered the OG a bit to come in at a lower ABV but we got better than expected efficiency so it put us right back up. So far, it looks really great. Once it comes out of the fermenter and we keg I'll post updates.

Its quite nice. I poured myself a second pint just a few minutes ago while gathering stuff for supper. My wife could smell the glass from about 10 feet behind me, haha. I notice that I like it a lot more as it warms a bit and the fruit pokes through a bit more. I get a ton of citrus, and not so much of the other fruity flavors that I have gotten in commercial examples, but that doesn't shock me considering my brewing style is....unrefined.
I did do a much better job of brewing this batch as opposed to the talus batch I made last year. This batch is cleaner and better feeling and more on color. But I prefer the talus hop. Either way, the recipe will be a staple in my brewery.

Still rocking a few of these from the galaxy batch and will be brewing this up again with either Motueka or Amarillo soon (hopefully!). I'm a smaller batch brewer, but I'm debating blowing up the Amarillo batch to 5-6G.

Still rocking a few of these from the galaxy batch and will be brewing this up again with either Motueka or Amarillo soon (hopefully!). I'm a smaller batch brewer, but I'm debating blowing up the Amarillo batch to 5-6G.
That sounds great. I heard the new Amarillo LUPOMAX is amazing! Switching the dryhop out for LUPOMAX instead of t90 pellets sounds like it may make a really juicy beer

Back