Base malt online suppliers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
Hello - shipping has really gone up and I’m wondering who has decent prices on base malts online these days. I’m not looking for full bags but maybe 10lbs x2? Is morebeer free ship at $59 still the best? Any ideas? Thanks.

I use More Beer, but I usually just order enough to get the free shipping if there's other non ingredient items I need. Play with their shipping calculator and see if it's going to be cheaper to get a full sack vs eleven 5lb bags of grain.

Another way, if you're not in one, is to join a homebrew club. Some homebrew clubs will work with a local brewery to do group buys for its members. The brewery will usually pick up the shipping costs so the club members are just paying for the grains. This is usually for full sacks of grain only and not for specialty grains where you only need/want 1-2 lbs.

+1 on joining a homebrew club. It's common to have bulk buys of stuff.
Also, they often have relationships with local breweries. Many breweries will let homebrewers piggyback onto their grain orders for a small fee or patronage.

morebeer only does 5# bags. when they sell you "10" its just two 5# bags. there's a discount, but its not the discount on a whole sack. there's obviously labor in making those 5 pounders.

definitely try a nearby homebrew club. your other option is to buy a 6.5 gal bucket, and get a gamma lid. seals them up air tight, can get like 30# in a bucket, leaving 20 out for you to use.

Check out ritebrew.com. If you are close enough that they can use SpeeDee Delivery, they have the best prices including shipping. I bought a whole sack of vienna malt from them a couple of months ago and it was even cheaper than having a local brewery add it to their grain order for me. If they have to ship FedEx, the prices are good enough it still might be the cheapest.

I also like the 10-pound specials at Farmhouse Brewing Supply.

Thanks for the info, will look at the above recommendations - I’ve been part of Homebrew club, it has fizzled out but yeah we used to do buys from local breweries. I brew small now, 2.5 gallon so the 5lb bags work great for my beers.

Ended up at morebeer, still the best price with free ship and 10% off. Ritebrew was also a good option but a bit more $ with the shipping

Delta Brewing Systems , around $67 for 50# 2-row pale base malt (Breiss), free shipping over $65, plus 15% off when you sign up for their mailing list.

-T

What's the shipping like? Is it packed well, or is there a chance of spilled grain everywhere (happened to me with a NB order once)? Those prices are pretty awesome (Briess Pilsen malt and Briess Pale Ale Malt $66.69/ea.!)

Stupid question...

Is "Pale Ale" malt the same as 2row or Maris Otter? I always get "pale" malt and "pale ale" malt confused. You'd think as I'd know this by now. 🤪

EDIT: If you had to choose between pale ale malt and pilsen, which one? Can Briess malt make some good tasting German beers?

If I had the option in those malts, I’d go with Maris Otter, but yeah it’s confusing- the Pale ale malt that briess makes tries to mimic Maris Otter, but it’s not that malt. I’m probably confusing you more 😂

I like Hearts Home Brew in Orlando. They will sell you any quantity, down to the ounce. Prices are low, and no charge for crushing. No free shipping, but on the other hand, you don't end up paying for 10 pounds of malt when you really want 8.5.

I like Hearts Home Brew in Orlando. They will sell you any quantity, down to the ounce. Prices are low, and no charge for crushing. No free shipping, but on the other hand, you don't end up paying for 10 pounds of malt when you really want 8.5.
Brewhardware.com will also sell you ounces. They have a good selection of grains and will basically let you assemble a recipe.

That is @BobbyM in the previous post.

Just ordered a 50# sack of Briess Pilsen malt from Delta Brewing Systems. $66.69 shipped. Thanks to those who mentioned DBS. May get a sack of Pale Ale malt next time.

...And I got my shipment in today. 5 days, not bad. Hoping to brew this weekend. I ordered Briess Pilsen malt. I've never used their pilsen, but if it can make some good German styles it may be my go to.

Is Briess' Pale Ale Malt like Maris Otter or more like 2Row?

Back