"Base" IPA recipe for your IPAs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUBirds

Reaction score
With two taps at home, one always has an IPA flowing. I started brewing not long ago and have brewed maybe 10 different Smash IPAs with different hops to judge which hop characters I like and don't like. I'm now going to try different grain bills and was wondering everyone's opinion. Do you have different grain bills for all of your IPAs? Or once you settle on a solid grain bill do you just stick to that and sub hop combos? I have made 2 good IPAs with the same base recipe including Maris, C40, and aromatic malt which got me wondering if I should just stick with that base recipe for consistency? Thanks!

I'm not sure how stylistically accurate it is, but my favorite base recipe for making IPA type beers is below.

Percentages are approximate and I usually try to get everything in 1/2 lb increments

~74% 2-row
~9% Wheat
~4% Carapils
~4% Flaked Oat
~9% Corn Sugar

Super dry and I like how there isn't a ton of crystal sweetness. Beer color comes out on the lighter side. I use gypsum to help dryness and for Mash pH.

well - it is mostly for my double IPA's, but my "lucky 7" grain bill works

7 lb 2-row
7 lb Golden Promise
.7 lb 40 L
(with 1 lb of corn sugar)

Good platform with a slightly bready taste, and hints of caramel, but understated enough to let the hops feature.

I like this combination for 5 gallons
6.75 lbs Marris Otter
.5 lb Victory Malt
.5 lb Caramel 10
.5 lb Caramel 20
.75 lb Torrified Wheat

The above only produces a about 5% ABV, so some might say its a "session" IPA grainbill, but it makes a very easy drinking beer. The keg will go down fast!

6.6 lbs Pale
4.4 lbs Munich I
1.1 lbs Flaked Oats
1.1 lbs Flaked Barley

Depending on what I am brewing, I usually add 0.55 lbs Golden Naked Oats or some Amber/Biscuit malt to the mix.

85% Pale 2-row
10% Vienna or some other character malt like victory, aromatic, etc
5% Crystal whatever shade you want or just carapils

this is like asking which do you prefer: blondes, brunettes or red heads.

Usually for me it's just all base malt: 2-row, pilsner, or maris/golden promise. I find most commercial IPAs a little too sweet and caramelly, so I go with a very simple grain bill and control sweetness just with mash temp.

My 'House' IPA recipe is:

93% MO
3.5% carafoam
3.5% sugar

I brew it a couple times a year and its also used to try out new aromatic hops with a pinch of warrior or Columbus or Apollo at 60 and the new hops at flameout and dry hop.

I mash low, 148, and use WLP008. Typically 5.5% ABV.

I have settled on a pretty consistent grain bill for my NE-style IPAs. This ratio works well for me in "session" level IPAs up through Imperials (for over 8% ABV I do sometimes boost with table sugar though)

77% Pilsner or 2-row
10% Malted Wheat
10% Quaker Oats
3% Caramunich or 60L Caramel malt

This grain bill will give you something very close (IMO) to Avery Raja which is my current favorite easily acquired IPA. I am considering boosting the oats to 15% next time, which I expect will make it murkier and give it a thicker mouthfeel, something closer to the Tired Hands/Trillium/Veil style IPAs. I believe Ales of the Riverwards settled on 18% Oats for his Tired Hands clones, but I personally like to make something a bit less chewy than that.

For these beers I bitter on the low end for the style, (30-40 IBU depending on ABV), with at least 3oz of hops split between flameout and last 5 minutes, and two 5-day dry hoppings (in the primary) of 3 oz. The goal is massive hop flavor and aroma without bitterness dominating the palette.

Thanks everyone. It sounds like I don't have to worry too much and can keep to my "keep it simple stupid" style.

Back