Base For a Pumpkin Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virginia_Ranger

Reaction score
I wanted to do a Pumpkin Ale using my Pico but they don't offer any such packs. Whats a good base beer (style) for a Pumpkin Ale that I can just add the flavorings to the keg?

Also remember that like with cooking adding downstream has a better effect. Adding to keg can taste artificial. I'd add the spices after krausen like you were dry hopping.

My recipe says 10 pounds 2 row, 2 pounds munich, .5 pound crystal 40.

I put 2 cans pumpkin in boil. At flameout. Add 1/2 tsp each cinnamon, nutmeg, and all spice. Very lightly spiced allowing delicate pumpkin to shine through. This recipe is legit, i have made it every year for thanksgiving 4 years in a row now. Cheers.

I've had success with an amber and a brown base, as mentioned not too hoppy - you don't really need any finishing hops at all.

Most people would say amber or brown or maybe a stout. I make a marzen pumpkin spice beer and roast coffee and add that after fermentation. Makes a nice Pumpkin Spiced Latte Oktoberfest that I named Basic ***** lol.

I brewed a pumpkin and spice Porter last year, it was enjoyable, and different from the usual offering, only mildly spiced... Didn't want a winter warmer.

Imo and based on stuff i have read, pumpkin has a very slight flavor. Haha dont want to say delicate for pumpkin, but yeah. For a porter, or coffee pumpkin, i think the pumpkin pie spices are more the associated flavors and i would be tempted to not even add pumpkin. Or would add it just to say i did. Brulosophy, i think it, was did a triangle test that hinted that the p spiced beer with or without pumpkin tasted the same. Just some food for thought i guess. I make mine so i can drink it all day and not get sick of it. Very lightly spiced.

Back