barrelroom/tasting room start up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inda_bebe

Reaction score
i got this idea going on and i was curious about starting up a barrel and tasting room. have a local brewery contract some wort and do the fermentation in the barrel house. think Crooked Stave, Rare Barrel, and Side Project. Im more interested in the blending, barrel aging and yeast part of craft beers.

im in orange county California, where would one look into getting a license for a project like this? hope to sell the beers and raise enough money to get equipment in the future.

I could be wrong, but I believe that if you pitched the yeast in your barrel house then it would make you the brewery. You would need a standard brewing license like any of the other breweries in your area. You should check out a pro brewer forum for more information on this, and solid information on how to obtain the licenses and local permits. Best of luck!

Exactly what Teromous wrote. I believe that if fermentation happens in your POB then you are indeed a brewery. I don't think a brewery is defined solely on making wort. I also could be wrong so you could also read up over on the CA ABC site.
http://www.abc.ca.gov/Permits/permits.html

Back