Barrel location concerns?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bknifefight

Reaction score
I recently bought a 15 gallon whiskey barrel (http://corsair-distillery.mybigcommerce.com/barrels/) and am going to fill it really soon with a RIS. I just need to find the right spot to store the barrel. Obviously it wont be mobile once filled so I want to get the right spot.

The best place I have is beside 4 50 lb bins of grain. Is there any concern of the lacto bacteria that are on the grain being so close? The bins are Vittle Vaults (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009YYQ4S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) and supposedly air tight.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
The contamination risk is from the grain dust. That is obvious. If the grain bins are opened to remove grains the grain dust will be in the air. Grain dust may already be on the floor, walls, and ceiling. Disturbances by traffic or air movement may put it back into the air.

There would be possible contamination risk if the barrel was opened if grain dust was reintroduced into the air. The risk from having the grain bins in the same location is nil if you don't plan to open them while the barrel is present.

The risk from grain dust in the area settling on the barrel is minimal if the grains were previously milled in another location.

Having the grain bins in the same area would not be a risk if they remain closed and the grain was milled in a different location.

I would definitely buy five heavy duty castor wheels and build a dolly for that barrel.

even milling next to the barrel shouldn't cause an issue as long as you arent' opening your barrel to smell it right after milling grain. Definitely build a dolly for it...because you never know when you may need to move the barrel around for some reason, and its easier to do it beforehand rather than after the fact.

I do mill in the basement not far from where the barrel would be stored. It isn't a problem to mill outside in the summer at least.
I will have to look into some casters, but had wanted to build some sort of shelf that the barrel would sit on so I could store stuff under it. That may be a little interesting to construct.

Back